The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Laine and Jets talks about contract 'non-existant', uncertain about future in Winnipeg

Odd.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Isn’t it kind of concerning that Winnipeg isn’t making signing Laine a priority?

Many teams have their high profiled RFAs unsigned. They're all waiting on each other. Meier was the first to go, but looks like GMs aren't too happy with that structure, so I guess teams are trying to find their own creative ways to get things done.

The Jets would be better off if they could use Laine to find that elusive 2nd line center or help on D (or both) and putting the money into Connor and bumping him up which in turn maybe gives Roslovic more ice time that he would like. In this case, better depth might be more valuable than Laine.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Monty said:

Players talk. As they should. They also want to get paid. None of them want to be the MacKinnon or Scheifele, where both are paid a minimum of $4M less than they are worth. The moment one signs, they are the benchmark, and none want to be the benchmark.

I’m thinking a guy like Laine will score 50 goals plus multiple times over the next decade.  He should get 10 x 8 at least.

You think Marner not signing is holding up the works?

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

KInda like how they got a ton for Trouba?

The dman that they got is no slouch... I actually don't think they lost that trade too bac

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I’m thinking a guy like Laine will score 50 goals plus multiple times over the next decade.  He should get 10 x 8 at least.

You think Marner not signing is holding up the works?

No clue.

In their case, they’ve made Connor a priority to sign, as contract talks have begun with him, and he’s said he’d like to sign long term. My gut, based on nothing, is that they’d prefer to sign Laine to a 1 or 2 year contract, at which point they’ll be able to sign for a higher dollar amount once a few of their other players are UFA and/or moved (ie: Kulikov, Perreault, etc). Then they’ll have the cap space.

Or they could be talking trade for multiple pieces coming back. Like a Reinhart + from Buffalo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He's 21 and has a 30 goal season, a 35 goal season, and a 40 goal season. When he gets his act together he will be a consistent 40 goal scorer. He was on pace with Ovechkin until his meltdown. 5th most goals in the league since entering it as a rookie. Goals = $$$  

Yeah but those goals didn't equate to a whole lot did it? Lol. Which is why I said they should just trade him. Let him show up for 20 games for some other team and eat 10 mil of their cap instead. 

9 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah but those goals didn't equate to a whole lot did it? Lol. Which is why I said they should just trade him. Let him show up for 20 games for some other team and eat 10 mil of their cap instead. 

Yeah, but it's the nature of the NHL. If you can put up goal totals like that, you're going to get paid regardless of whether or not the rest of your game is lacking. 

On that note, can you imagine how terrifying Laine would be with Pettersson's work ethic?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

His 44 goals the year before certainly helped the team though, his ceiling is still very high. I think he wins at least one Rocket Richard in his career (Pettersson has Stanley Cup hangover that year/years). 

13 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yeah, but it's the nature of the NHL. If you can put up goal totals like that, you're going to get paid regardless of whether or not the rest of your game is lacking. 

On that note, can you imagine how terrifying Laine would be with Pettersson's work ethic?

True. Some team somewhere will pay for a one dimensional floater. Really, really tough to win a championship with a guy like that taking up a big chunk of cap. Closest I can compare to Laine is Kessel. Difference being Kessel's contract wasnt that bad cap wise. Really, both the above players drive me nuts. Can't stand one dimensional floaters. Would love to know what a guy like Wheeler has to honestly say about how Laine plays the game. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

True. Some team somewhere will pay for a one dimensional floater. Really, really tough to win a championship with a guy like that taking up a big chunk of cap. Closest I can compare to Laine is Kessel. Difference being Kessel's contract wasnt that bad cap wise. Really, both the above players drive me nuts. Can't stand one dimensional floaters. Would love to know what a guy like Wheeler has to honestly say about how Laine plays the game. 

Yeah, Kessel definitely gives me the same vibes as Laine. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

His 44 goals the year before certainly helped the team though, his ceiling is still very high. I think he wins at least one Rocket Richard in his career (Pettersson has Stanley Cup hangover that year/years). 

Smart GM's arent stupid though. 44 goals sure, but how, who against, when the goals are scored matter a lot. Laine rides high scoring against weak teams, bad systems, teams or goalies having a bad night. Does he score when you need it and when the games are tough? Just the eye test for me and I dont have stats to back it but he strikes me as the "pad the stats night" kind of player. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it'll all start to fall in place soon. I'm hoping Marner sits for weeks like Flamingo-boy did, just for the pure spectacle of it. 

Mirtle talking to executives and agents around the league says they are waiting for Marner to set the market. 

Sakic this week said that he hasn't had talks with Rantanen's camp since the draft.  Laine, Boeser and Rantanen are all by Octagon - different agents though.  

7 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yeah, Kessel definitely gives me the same vibes as Laine. 

I would put Skinner in that category as well. Major difference is Skinner can skate circles around those two bums. I'm guessing Buffalo regrets that signing and again I praise Chevy for not overpaying a player strictly on goals. 

I don't think Laine is an issue.  Maybe his contract demands are the hold up.  He doesn't exactly deserve a huge payday as of yet over Connor IMO; but really he has little say in what happens as of yet.

Trouba...come on people, he gave Winnipeg less actual option than Kesler did the Canucks and there wasn't a damned thing they could do about it

14 minutes ago, rekker said:

Smart GM's arent stupid though. 44 goals sure, but how, who against, when the goals are scored matter a lot. Laine rides high scoring against weak teams, bad systems, teams or goalies having a bad night. Does he score when you need it and when the games are tough? Just the eye test for me and I dont have stats to back it but he strikes me as the "pad the stats night" kind of player. 

While I get what you’re saying... I just don’t think you can pot goals in this league the way he does and be written off.  Even if he was only scoring in the high twenties the last three years he’d still be a highly desired asset.... lazy or not someone will want his 35+ goals enough to pay a pretty penny for him. 

Edited by J-Dizzle

34 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I never said Laine won't get paid. Lol. For what he truly brings to the team the Jets are better off trading him is what i am saying. I know he'll make a mint. Goal scorers do regardless of what their actual value is game to game. If I am Winnipeg I try get as many 1st rounders as I can for Laine and use that cap for a guy that brings value every game or retaining guys that do that. 

8 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

While I get what you’re saying... I just don’t think you can pot goals in this league the way he does and be written off.  Even if he was only scoring in the high twenties the last three years he’d still be a highly desired asset.... lazy or not someone will want his 35+ goals enough to pay a pretty penny for him. 

I agree that goals are at a premium and goal scorers should be paid. Its more what do you pay for the goals if it comes with the dismal attempts at playing hockey that Laine often shows. I think this is the sticking point for Chevy. If Laine could actually play his own end, win a puck battle, or attempt a board battle then I would give him the money and I'm guessing Chevy would as well. 50 points and a minus 24 last year. Kid should be thankful for a decent bridge deal.

Edited by rekker