The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Bailey | #95 | RW

Crabcakes

Merry Christmas Ray, I watch all the Comets games and aside from the 3 weeks or so when he scored 3 or 4 hat tricks in a row (or something).  The rest of the time is where I was noticing it problems when he would wynd up and go for a good brake just to loose it the puck for no apparent reason.  I like the kid and hope he can improve but this is just an opinion.  Hope you have a good Christmas.

7 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Merry Christmas Ray, I watch all the Comets games and aside from the 3 weeks or so when he scored 3 or 4 hat tricks in a row (or something).  The rest of the time is where I was noticing it problems when he would wynd up and go for a good brake just to loose it the puck for no apparent reason.  I like the kid and hope he can improve but this is just an opinion.  Hope you have a good Christmas.

You too dpn1. I recall Bailey getting better as the season wore on. 4g 6a 10pts in his first twenty games, 24g 13a 37pt in his last 33.

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

That hit on Justin Bailey by Lucic, anyone else but me think it was on the numbers? Sure looked like it to me.

I'd probably send that clip of the hit to the league, ask why it was not called?

Especially given Myers got called for a far less dangerous hit.

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I think Bailey deserves another shot at the bottom 6 next year.  If they can find a way to move out Roussel and assuming Ferland will remain on LTIR, that will keep some room open.  Definitely not a shoe-in, but Bailey's speed and production in the AHL should make him a strong candidate to compete for a role.  Hope Bailey's recovery is full and speedy.

He's certainly a cheaper option that wouldn't be a lot worse than Roussel--probably better to be honest.

• Cheers 1

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/justin-baileys-season-with-the-canucks-is-evidently-over-3587459

A good article on "hits from behind" here.

Justin Bailey was only in his third game this season when he got hit from behind by Milan Lucic into the boards, injuring his shoulder. Lucic did not receive a penalty on the hit, which was directly in the numbers, nor did he receive any sort of suspension or fine.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Hard to believe that not one of those hits earned a fine or suspension. I’m not sure why it’s called the Department of Player Safety.

I'll skip the Hmonic one cuz I can't see it

but the Chatfield, Roussell and Doumolin ones look the worst to me

the others all involve players turning away from the hits at the last (spit)second

if you stop the lucic hit at 20 seconds Luc is not lines up with the numbers

Stanley at 1 second is beside Evans

anyway, I agree with Ray Whitney

11 minutes ago, lmm said:

I'll skip the Hmonic one cuz I can't see it

but the Chatfield, Roussell and Doumolin ones look the worst to me

the others all involve players turning away from the hits at the last (spit)second

if you stop the lucic hit at 20 seconds Luc is not lines up with the numbers

Stanley at 1 second is beside Evans

anyway, I agree with Ray Whitney

My problem is why have the rule if you aren’t going to enforce it, then get rid of it. I would say that almost every one of those hits would  fall under this rule. None of those hitters tried to minimize contact.  I agree that the Chatfield and Doumolin were definitely the worst. To me the Roussell one isn’t bad at all. Scheifele is right against the glass and looks to me like a light hit with a lot of play-acting, (should have been 2 for a late hit.)

Whitney’s theory works fine if you’re up against the glass like Scheifele but I wouldn’t recommend it if you’re a foot or more from the boards. Those are the ones that result in more serious injury in my opinion.

The rule for boarding, 41.1, specifically says, “The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a defenceless position and if so, he must avoid or minimize contact.”

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Lucic's hit was really bad. I'm surprised/not surprised that the NHL fumbled that call, much like they've fumbled other ones. The refereeing standards in the NHL are so embarrassingly bad because the wrong ref from center ice calls a penalty that the closer one doesn't call because he has a better line of sight. Or they both don't call it at all because they're blind. Having so many penalties called isn't an issue when there's an actual penalty happening. It's when you pull this inconsistent stunt that makes the NHL look like they're picking and choosing who's going on the powerplay.

Get this &^@#ing thing straightened out next season, NHL.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Hard to believe that not one of those hits earned a fine or suspension. I’m not sure why it’s called the Department of Player Safety.

More like the Department of Game Management. 

Players are just pawns, refs call things and let things go as instructed by league brass. Yeah, it's a fast game and some stuff genuinely gets missed, but enough is witnessed and not called for the refs to be complicit. They're not blind, you don't get to ref at the NHL level being blind. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Lucic's hit was really bad. I'm surprised/not surprised that the NHL fumbled that call, much like they've fumbled other ones. The refereeing standards in the NHL are so embarrassingly bad because the wrong ref from center ice calls a penalty that the closer one doesn't call because he has a better line of sight. Or they both don't call it at all because they're blind. Having so many penalties called isn't an issue when there's an actual penalty happening. It's when you pull this inconsistent stunt that makes the NHL look like they're picking and choosing who's going on the powerplay.

Get this &^@#ing thing straightened out next season, NHL.

I thought Doumolin & Chatfield had the hit lined up for the longest so had more time to ease up or change. The Lucic one bugs me though because he sees Bailey’s number and means to crush him and cause damage. Then he skates away with that “Yeah, I f’in smoked him and he’s hurt and I f’in don’t give a sh#$!  WTF is anyone gonna do” look on his ugly mug.

Definitely right near the top of my hate list!

( I know Imm, I may get cancer but I’ll risk it!)

• Cheers 1