The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton can't keep up this pace... Colorado can

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

Everyone's talking about the Oilers as if this current win streak is sustainable... it ain't.

Just like last year, all the goals and points are coming from McDavid and Draisaitl's line.

After Neal, and a bit of Kassian, there is no production.

The reason the Coil are doing so well is their two big guns are playing lights out... but it is not sustainable.

On his current pace, McDavid will score 199 pts in the year... and that isn't the reality in today's NHL.

That's ultimate Gretzky in the days of Messier/Kurri/Coffey... and tiny Goalies with tiny pads.

So my prediction is the Coil will come crashing back down to earth.

On the other hand, when you look at the Colorado scoring, it is sustainable.

Yes, you have the AV's big boys piling up the points.... but their percentage of team scoring is nothing like McDavid... the rest of the team is chipping in their share.

I can easily see the Avalanche winning their division... they showed they were ready in last year's playoffs, and I think they want to continue that trend.

So to all you guys in the 'Chuck...   sorry, but your season start is not going to last.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Avs win the cup this year or next. 

It'll have to be next year because they're in our conference and there's only going to be one team from the West making it to the cup finals this year (much like every year):

The Vancouver Canucks

(also we will beat Toronto in game 7 OT to win the cup)

:emot-parrot:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Avs win the cup this year or next. 

Colorado is strong offensively, great d core.

I've stated before i think colorados weakness is they are small at Forward and have no real grit. I do not like Grubauer and ???? As their goalies. Unless they get some toughness and a great goalie the avalanche will be contenders but pretenders.

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Everyone's talking about the Oilers as if this current win streak is sustainable... it ain't.

Just like last year, all the goals and points are coming from McDavid and Draisaitl's line.

The reason the Coil are doing so well is their two big guns are playing lights out... but it is not sustainable.

On his current pace, McDavid will score 199 pts in the year... and that isn't the reality in today's NHL.

That's ultimate Gretzky in the days of Messier/Kurri/Coffey... and tiny Goalies with tiny pads.

Yes, you have the AV's big boys piling up the points.... but their percentage of team scoring is nothing like McDavid... the rest of the team is chipping in their share.

I can easily see the Avalanche winning their division... they showed they were ready in last year's playoffs, and I think they want to continue that trend.

So to all you guys in the 'Chuck...   sorry, but your season start is not going to last.

Both teams will come crashing down.

I agree edmonton will fall harder until some big changes on that roster. (Rnh for depth scoring, Lesser Center and a winger)

Colorado will come slow down when the season tightens up and gets more intense.

I don't like kadri and i think he is a bad distraction to his teams on most nights, especially if he is losing or its a physical game.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

That's what we said with Vegas two years ago and the Islanders and Carolina last year.

True, that McDavid and Draitsail won't be able to keep that pace....but if they bank enough point early on, and they plays reasonable defense under Tippett (like his teams in Arizona, where lesser players were overachieving), the Oilers might be there in the end for a playoff spot.  I wouldn't underestimate them too quickly.

• Haha 2

Edmonton's winning streak is emulating the 10-game streak the Sabres had last November.  The McDavid (Eichel for Sabres) line is playing lights out hockey.  Once they slow down, and the rest of the league starts concentrating on stopping the top line, the losing will come.

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

If McDavid or Draisaitl miss any time, the Oilers will suffer, probably lose games. No, it's not sustainable, but probably pretty exciting for that fanbase after years and years of being terrible. Well, the season is young, they can still be terrible.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Colorado will come slow down when the season tightens up and gets more intense.

Like last year, when they finished the season the season 15-7-3? Despite Rantanen missing the last 8 games with injury?

Or in the playoffs, when it's even more intense, when they nearly made the conference finals?

8 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

It'll have to be next year because they're in our conference and there's only going to be one team from the West making it to the cup finals this year (much like every year):

The Vancouver Canucks

(also we will beat Toronto in game 7 OT to win the cup)

:emot-parrot:

With the Canucks on a 5 on 3 PK... then Bo stealing the puck and scoring on a breakaway for the championship clinching goal :towel:

• Upvote 1

I think the Oilers will be much better this year but their lack of depth has to be a major concern.  McDavid's style of play is awesome to watch but he moves so quickly that if he even gets tripped up in full flight, that could spell disaster for him.  It's one of the things that makes McDavid so exciting to watch but since McDavid is what makes their wheels turn (as excellent as Draisaitl is, he generally hasn't produced at the same clip away from McDavid), any slowdown, injury, etc. to McDavid will be hard for them to overcome.

The Av's are a relatively deep team outside of goal and they have a ton of talent combined with grit.  They will be a very tough team to play for years.

Momentum's a huge thing in sports.  No one knows who will/won't carry it (the longest).  It's the beauty of the game.

Injuries are huge...as is goaltending.  Can quash the momentum in a hurry if things start to unravel due to either of these two factors.

My team's better than yours can't be determined until one team lifts the cup.  Right now, both of these teams are on fire and I hate both of them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Grubauer has never played more than 37 games, other than once in the AHL (49). He's the big question, can he handle the grind of 60 starts + the playoffs? 

I was just going to say this. And their backup is a guy prior to this season that had 2 NHL games to his name at 29 years old. Not a knock on Francouz as he's had respectable numbers in the leagues he's played (and in those 2 NHL games, plus the 1 this year), but if Grubauer can't handle the load, then that puts more pressure on Francouz who's relatively untested at the NHL level.

This happens every season - the flashy scoring teams burst out of the gates while the real playoff teams take the first couple of months figuring it all out. Then when the games get more tight checking, physical and injuries rack up, only the stronger teams survive.

I'd worry Edmonton will snap in the second half of the season. McDavid and Draisaitl can both put up 120 pts but everything rests on their defence to hold it together. 

Colorado will make the playoffs and with so many X factors they can go deep but their goaltending is the only wild card.

This isn't basketball where two players can carry a team into the playoffs.

Remember the year the Habs 2015/16 went on a nine game winning streak out of the gate  ( losing the 10'th game to us I believe ) and missed the playoffs that year....