The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Subban on the Block?

Provost

Eriksson, Stecher and a 2nd round pick would be my best offer. Try to get NJ to retain a bit if possible

D pairings after trade:

Hughes Tanev

Edler Subban

Benn Myers

I would try to recoup that 2nd round pick by moving Pearson or Leivo at this TDL

6 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

So $9.4M in dead cap space and Troy Stetcher, a 3rd pairing defenseman that doesn't play special teams. Sounds about right for CDC.

I'd rather give Stetcher+ for someone to take Loui or Baertschi off our hands and free up a few mil in cap space. That's where we should be looking. Stetcher + Baertschi is almost $6M combined. Nevermink PK. That money is better spent elsewhere. 

Only way you move Loui is by giving up a bunch of young assets/picks or taking a bad contract back. We can’t really afford to do give up any picks or prospects. 

We either keep him or trade him for someone else in a similar situation as a fresh start type move. Similar to Neal-Lucic. 

Baer is definitely easier to move though the market is cold right now.

I would definitely take a risk on Subban for 3 years. Upside is huge and if he sucks it would just be in the same boat we are in now. Devils would get a younger cheaper top 6 D and project in Baer that could pan out with Hischer/Hughes. Subban is at an all time low rn. 

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Eriksson, Stecher and a 2nd round pick would be my best offer. Try to get NJ to retain a bit if possible

D pairings after trade:

Hughes Tanev

Edler Subban

Benn Myers

I would try to recoup that 2nd round pick by moving Pearson or Leivo at this TDL

If we want Tanev to avoid injury, he should never be on the first pairing.

Homerism let’s you see Tanev as greater than Subban.

Edited by Me_

12 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

If Eriksucks who is deadweight at 6m is going back in the deal, there contracts both end in the same year so be worth it in my opinion. Then it is just trying to get NJ to retain some of PK's cap hit then iron out the add on to Loser#21 to make the deal happen.

PK would bring a bunch of excitement to the team and fans in my opinion. Just can't take his full cap hit on, good thing is he has no NMC so he could be a scapegoat in the expansion draft if he does well for us also

Well sure. But I am sure NJ will be able to get at least some assets from PK as opposed to simply taking on another bad contract AND retaining. Only advantage for them is lack of real money owing to LE.

Wonder if something like LE plus Sutter for PK would work? At least then they get a serviceable player.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Hughes is top pair is he not? Myers isn't the right fit to play with him, he isn't good enough defensively when you have a rover like Hughes imo

Hughes and Tanev aren’t married.

if Subban were to come in, you can be sure it’d be:

HUGHES - SUBBAN

For those of you screaming for PK Subban. He has not been the same player this year. As of right now, Tanev, Stecher and Myers all have more points than him this season currently. He would've been 6th in Canucks D scoring this season by his current point totals. There is no way he takes the #1 PP point man minutes from QH if he is brought in here. He is also a liability defensively. His $9 million cap hit is a big no go. Glad JB didn't trade Gaudette for him during the draft.

Edited by ruilin96

On 12/21/2019 at 10:16 AM, Me_ said:

Hughes and Tanev aren’t married.

if Subban were to come in, you can be sure it’d be:

HUGHES - SUBBAN

I would keep them seperate, both need a decently reliable defensive D so they can free wheel up the up, pinch/take chances etc. On the PP tho, yes you can have both on unit #1 imo

• Cheers 1

On 12/21/2019 at 9:02 AM, Canuckster86 said:

Hughes is top pair is he not? Myers isn't the right fit to play with him, he isn't good enough defensively when you have a rover like Hughes imo

i think hughes spike in minutes recently

is mostly due to edler's injury

hughes is not physically fully developed yet

i think it is a mistake to make him play huge minutes for the balance of the season

nucks recent history is that our better dmen are too often injured

i think hughes will join that grouping if he is too heavily used at his very young age

when edler returns, hughes minutes have to go back to closer to the 20 min per game range

team needs to think longer term about hughes

If we nabbed Subban pairings would probably be

Edler-Subban

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Myers

Put Bo on the 2nd unit and have Subban on the 1st unit as a RH point shot. Put Boes in the slot for a one time option from Miller from the goal line. There would be a lot of room for Hughes Subban. 

if subban worked out. 

Geez if we really need a hasbeen to play D for us maybe we could track down Dion Phaneuf too. 

Remember Nashville had the worst PP in the league last year before they peddled the $9million sink hole to  new Jersey . Now Jersey is the 2nd worst next to Detroit.

The Canucks are strapped for cap space ,IMO  it shouldn’t even cross anyone’s mind to ad a contract like Subbans’ . 

14 hours ago, iinatcc said:

You know what it bizzare ... that the Habs might have actually won the trade over Subban / Weber 

I think it was clashing personalities TBH.

In Mtl P.k. had issues with Pacioretty and Gallagher that i know of.

Nashville traded him for cap issues.

Now if NJD may want to unload pk for assets.

The Canucks cannot afford to do this either from the asset management crowd or the capologists guild.

His offensive game has all but dried up, he has 7 pts this year in 36gp. He's on pace for less then 20 points and around -30.

In 37gp Chris Tanev has 11 points and plus 1.

In 37gp Troy Stecher has 7pts

Eriksson is off the books in 2 more seasons after 19/20. 6m

Sutter is off the books 1 more season after 19/20. 4.375m

Subban has 2 more years after 19/20 season @ 9mil per.

Flat out best offer for P.K. would be

Baertschi 3.366

Eriksson 6.

Stecher 2.325

Schaller 1.9

For

Subban 9

Simmonds 5.

Baertschi to mentor hischier?

Miller Petey Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Simmonds 

Roussel Gaudette Virtanen 

Ferland Beagle Sutter 

Motte Leivo 

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Pk

Fantenberg 

14 hours ago, iinatcc said:

You know what it bizzare ... that the Habs might have actually won the trade over Subban / Weber 

More of a wash.  Subban has been good for his time in Nashville other than last season where he was dealing with injuries.  They moved him in time.  He bridged the gap to Fabbro and was a solid pairing with Ekholm.  He also did a lot of good in the community - they are keeping his blue line buddies alive.  

31 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I think it was clashing personalities TBH.

In Mtl P.k. had issues with Pacioretty and Gallagher that i know of.

Nashville traded him for cap issues.

Now if NJD may want to unload pk for assets.

The Canucks cannot afford to do this either from the asset management crowd or the capologists guild.

His offensive game has all but dried up, he has 7 pts this year in 36gp. He's on pace for less then 20 points and around -30.

In 37gp Chris Tanev has 11 points and plus 1.

In 37gp Troy Stecher has 7pts

Eriksson is off the books in 2 more seasons after 19/20. 6m

Sutter is off the books 1 more season after 19/20. 4.375m

Subban has 2 more years after 19/20 season @ 9mil per.

Flat out best offer for P.K. would be

Baertschi 3.366

Eriksson 6.

Stecher 2.325

Schaller 1.9

For

Subban 9

Simmonds 5.

Baertschi to mentor hischier?

Miller Petey Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Simmonds 

Roussel Gaudette Virtanen 

Ferland Beagle Sutter 

Motte Leivo 

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Pk

Fantenberg 

Subban still plays 20 minutes a night.  Everyone on NJD is having a bad season.  Their beat writer Masisak says NJD wants to make it work with Subban and is not yet interested in parting ways.   

Stecher is undersized and no more than a 3rd pairing D if not a D7 - see how Vigneault used him at the Worlds.  Doubt he draws much interest at his qualifying offer.  Eriksson just uses a roster spot and he has two more seasons.  It would considerably limit their cap space for a player they don't need.  They have no use for Schaller either.

Simmonds is a UFA at the end of the season and he brings toughness.  They might even be able to trade him at the TDL for a late pick to help their rebuild.  

NJD is also still promoting Subban.  Would think that ownership likes his popularity and his contact book as well as his fiancée's.  For star players it goes beyond on ice as Poile was explaining when he traded for Subban.  It's a marketing boost and that has value with the more popular NY so close.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Not by the end of Weber’s term.... no chance.  Not unless he retires and frees them up from that cap hit.

Edited by Provost