The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Subban on the Block?

Provost

I always love these fun trade speculation threads!

Where CDC says no thanks to every possible player (Subban, Hall, etc.)... then complains that JB hasn't done anything to get a top 6 forward or top 4 defense.  Someone should make a thread titled... "Well who DO you want!?" and see which players CDC actually wants. Rather than saying no to each potential player, 1 thread at a time.

I'd do it but I don't want to.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Where CDC says no thanks to every possible player (Subban, Hall, etc.)... then complains that JB hasn't done anything to get a top 6 forward or top 4 defense.  Someone should make a thread titled... "Well who DO you want!?" and see which players CDC actually wants. Rather than saying no to each potential player, 1 thread at a time.

confused ryan gosling GIF

10 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Honestly if I was JB I would be trying so hard to use this as an advantage to get Hughes.

To NJD:

Adam Gaudette+ Vasili Podkolzin+ Sven Beartschi + 2nd round pick

To van:

PK Subban+ Jack Hughes

You aren't serious!!   Are you??  No..........:sadno:

Would you give up Quin Hughes for that package?  If you would...you are high as f&%$!!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, JayDangles said:

People want Hedman and MacKinnon, but are only willing to trade Leivo and Stecher. God forbid anyone mentioning of trading a 1st round pick.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

People want Hedman and MacKinnon, but are only willing to trade Leivo and Stecher. God forbid anyone mentioning of trading a 1st round pick.

The same people whom as kids wanted to trade 10 common cards for a Gretzky/Crosby etc rookie card. refuse to give up value to get value and then complain that you can't get nice things... makes sense

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, kloubek said:

When I saw that he was on the block - I figured: Hey, let's see what we could give up for him.

Then I remembered that contract. Nope.  No thanks.

If Eriksucks who is deadweight at 6m is going back in the deal, there contracts both end in the same year so be worth it in my opinion. Then it is just trying to get NJ to retain some of PK's cap hit then iron out the add on to Loser#21 to make the deal happen.

PK would bring a bunch of excitement to the team and fans in my opinion. Just can't take his full cap hit on, good thing is he has no NMC so he could be a scapegoat in the expansion draft if he does well for us also

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Nigerian said:

Subban 3mill retained 

for 

Woo

Loui E 
3rd round pick 

mint.

WT?

Subban is a cap dump at this point. I would be fine with JB getting him but it would be more like:

Subban 3 mill retained 

for

Loui E

Baer

We are not giving up a good young prospect in Woo. Maybe the 3rd rounder if they retained even more cap. Come on....

:picard:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

WT?

Subban is a cap dump at this point. I would be fine with JB getting him but it would be more like:

Subban 3 mill retained 

for

Loui E

Baer

We are not giving up a good young prospect in Woo. Maybe the 3rd rounder if they retained even more cap. Come on....

Who’s this we? I thought Loui’s and Subban’s contract were the same length? If that is correct why would NJ retain 3 mill to have the more money come in and less production from Loui and Baer. You don’t think NJs poor play has something to do with Subbans numbers? How many devils games have you watched? All just questions right. It’s not a cap dump if you take back more cap. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

WT?

Subban 3 mill retained 

for

Loui E

Baer

Wow I didn't realize he fell off a cliff this hard. 

Haven't watched a devils game all year except for against the Canucks.

Anyone have any insight as to what has changed in his game?

Just looked at stats and it looks like hes having a rough year. However, could it just be the Devils system? He had a pretty good year last year. I still think he can be a productive odd-man and add more positive than negative.

Edited by Maginator

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Given how’s he’s playing... Eriksson, Baer, and Stecher is most I would do. 

It is a risk/reward move but we don’t really give up much. If he goes through a resurgence it’s a huge win. 

NJD would probably want more than that though. 

So $9.4M in dead cap space and Troy Stetcher, a 3rd pairing defenseman that doesn't play special teams. Sounds about right for CDC.

I'd rather give Stetcher+ for someone to take Loui or Baertschi off our hands and free up a few mil in cap space. That's where we should be looking. Stetcher + Baertschi is almost $6M combined. Nevermink PK. That money is better spent elsewhere. 

Edited by VIC_CITY

On 12/17/2019 at 11:26 AM, Me_ said:

30yr old offensive RD?

That plays with immense passion?
ANY TIME.

Should’ve been a Canucks in 2017.

NJD

Sutter and/or Bärtschi (NJD’s choice)

Eriksson

Stetcher 

VAN

PK Subban

It’s fresh air for four/ five faces.

HUGHES - SUBBAN

EDLER - MYERS

BENN - TANEV

THAT. is a stacked D.

I wouldn't be against this trade if it were to happen. But would NJD take on Eriksson and Baer (or Sutter)? The only gain for them is Stecher. There is no cap gain as Eriksson + Baer is about 9 mil in cap.

5 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

WT?

Subban 3 mill retained 

for

Loui E

Baer

So NJD would end up with over 12M in cap dump and two roster spots taken vs 9M and someone they are still playing 20 minutes a night. 

Also Subban/Vonn brings attention re marketing and that has value for a franchise that is losing and wants to attract fans - they are still using his popularity / contacts to promote their franchise.  They would lose that benefit and give up more cap space.  

NJD is still building so it's not like they need to move Subban.  Having cap space allows them to leverage it to take on cap dumps.  They got a 2nd round pick for taking on the Savard contract early in Shero's tenure.  Would think he'd want to keep as much space as possible to do the same again.  Carolina got a 1st for buying out Marleau. 

If Shero takes on more cap than he is giving up - he won't be able to make those kind of deals.  

Fwiw beat writer Masisak writes that both sides thinks it’s way too early to consider splitting up.

Edited by mll