The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Dec. 14, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

58 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think we need a dynamic scorer and solid PWF in top 6 and another Hughes-level D.

Pod could be a mix of dynamic tough scorer but we'd need another guy after that unless we convert Gaud to wing. Hopefully Rathbone/Juolevi/Rafferty can step up down the line but that's a big ask.

Hoglander has been pretty dynamic in Sweden. Pod is a power forward type player. Lind is progressing. We have Rathbone in the system who's a PPG in college right now. OJ if he can stay healthy adds another element of puck moving from the defense. These guys coming in while the big contracts going to the core guys are going to be crucial.

Just now, theo5789 said:

Hoglander has been pretty dynamic in Sweden. Pod is a power forward type player. Lind is progressing. We have Rathbone in the system who's a PPG in college right now. OJ if he can stay healthy adds another element of puck moving from the defense. These guys coming in while the big contracts going to the core guys are going to be crucial.

Yeah for sure. Rafferty, Gadjovich, maybe even Tryamkin. We need some of these guys to make the jump the next few years.

If things really work out we might get enough cap to sign a big guy in a few years to make us a consistent playoff team.

56 minutes ago, 1-d said:

Come to think of it, some heads will have to roll if we don't make playoffs this season.

No management team sits still when the team fails to advance to postseason 5 years in a row. Somebody has to be sacrificed, whether it's right or not.

I guess it depends what the mandate is. Playoffs would be nice, but the Miller trade seems to bank that if we aren't going to make the playoffs this season, then there's more pressure to do so next season. I think it depends on how we finish the season in the sense that if we just miss the playoffs in a valiant effort then Green gets the following season on a short leash. If we miss the playoffs by quite a bit, then off season coaching change possibly, but I wouldn't be upset if we didn't either. Green hasn't really had a roster viable to make a playoff push until this season, so I think he should be able to get a couple of real cracks at it before deciding. He was a rookie coach coming in and he's also on a development curve much like the prospects on the team.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

So why again did we trade a first round pick for Miller ?  Playoffs ?   Dumb deal ?

Honestly, I don't want to miss the playoffs but if we do it's not the worst thing 

This is likely our last chance to get a higher pick short of winning the lottery 

We should be a better team next season than we are this season, and a few of the teams around us (San Jose, Anaheim, Calgary, LA) shouldn't be much better 

Having Miller going forward and another solid crop of prospects wouldn't be the end of the world 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Team altogether lacks urgency and awareness in key moments of the game.

It's the coaching. The team needs to play a faster more aggressive style to win and the coaching staff doesn't recognize that. The team has bought into Green's lacsadasical system and this is the result.  Every night Green gets on the podium and says how good they played (win or lose) and many players echo those sentiments. That says to me that the passive style they're playing is how he is coaching them to play. The players see no problem with it because they're getting praise from Green after the game.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah for sure. Rafferty, Gadjovich, maybe even Tryamkin. We need some of these guys to make the jump the next few years.

If things really work out we might get enough cap to sign a big guy in a few years to make us a consistent playoff team.

Yeah it would be nice to see some of the depth flow in, but I think it's going to be gradual. Right now we need them as solid depth as we continue to grow a deeper depth pool to draw from. Hopefully Benning keeps up the good work with the drafting and we could have some excellent trade chips to not only use the extra cap space, but to actually go after quality players.

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Honestly, I don't want to miss the playoffs but if we do it's not the worst thing 

This is likely our last chance to get a higher pick short of winning the lottery 

We should be a better team next season than we are this season, and a few of the teams around us (San Jose, Anaheim, Calgary, LA) shouldn't be much better 

Having Miller going forward and another solid crop of prospects wouldn't be the end of the world 

Having another young Horvat ( drafted in the next 2 yrs ) going forward would also be a good thing......

2 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

It's the coaching. The team needs to play a faster more aggressive style to win and the coaching staff doesn't recognize that. The team has bought into Green's lacsadasical system and this is the result.  Every night Green gets on the podium and says how good they played (win or lose) and many players echo those sentiments. That says to me that the passive style they're playing is how he is coaching them to play. The players see no problem with it because they're getting praise from Green after the game.

The team pretty much dominated the entire game aside from the 1st 10 minutes which unfortunately put them behind. We didn't get the result we wanted, but Green woke the team up. Green is a player's coach and is going to back his guys. Anything seriously negative that he has to say, he can tell his players behind closed doors. If he starts throwing players and his team under the bus, then he's going to lose the locker room fast. The players and the coach seem to have a mutual respect and that's a good thing.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1