The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom is going to the ASG

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

5 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah I was only responding to the issue of Miller vs Pacioretty.  I'd actually put in Hughes over Gio (even though the later just won the Norris the previous season).  Allstar games are for players with offensive skills to showcase.  That's Hughes.  But, I hate any stinkin' Flames players LOL.

Edler has 20 pts in 31 games and he is a +4. Giordano has 19 pts in 42 games and has an even +/-. If Giordano goes, Edler should be there as well by this logic. Only reason Giordano is there is because he was snubbed in favour of some Sharks players last year. They want to make it up for him.

6 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Price that into his extension, teehee.

That's freaking awesome though. Let's get Hughes in too, I might actually watch this garbage. 

Atta boy Marky! No matter what, this will keep his stock way up.. As long as the NMC's and NTC's aren't involved and he's signed for another 2-3 years as Demko and DiPietro develop and then ask him where he has the best chance of being on another really good team and finish his career long and well paid..

He deserves it no matter where he plays, here or otherwise...

Edited by iceman64
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I read some of the comments also... Why did they call Vancouver "goalie graveyard"? 

Because of our fanbase and media.

Luongo was a good example of this.

Edited by J-23

12 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Says a lot about our depth this year that we conceivably have two guys in Miller and Boeser that could have been considered for the All Star Game as well. 

The conspiracy theorist inside me wonders if Pacioretty is going to be gifted the Last Man In spot in the pacific now, seeing as Vegas doesn't have any representation without Fleury. 

Patches deserves to be there anyways....and when Scott got in it  made some purists running it look constipated when discussing it - think it's safe to say the fan vote will stick and is legit.  Stupid that this participation get a trophy for everything you do mentality has worked it's way into the ASG, it's turned it into a joke.   If the format remained like it should (just pick the best players to go, period) Patches, Markstrom and Hughes would already be in, maybe Miller too.

Fowler, Gio and MAF shouldn't  be there at all. 

Edited by IBatch

6 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Atta boy Marky! No matter what, this will keep his stock way up.. As long as the NMC's and NTC's aren't involved and he's signed for another 2-3 years as Demko and DiPietro develop and then ask him where he has the best chance of being on another really good team and finish his career long and well paid..

He deserves it no matter where he plays, here or otherwise...

I agree with the "as long as" part,  but not sure he and his agent will  - particularly when it comes to length of contract.    Not sure what the rest of the hockey worlds take is on Markstrom (we definitely have a high opinion of him), it's a fickle position - and what the open market would provide at this point but would have to think that some teams would definitely see him as an upgrade and be willing to play ball if he reaches free agency.   This is supposed to be his legacy deal, not the next one and can't see him willing to wait if the market will bear it.  Five-six years maybe?    Demko is likely the price we have to pay to sign him and definitely needs to be factored in.   

This is amazing news. So happy for Marky. It makes me really appreciate the time we took to develop him as a prospect. We got him tattered and torn from Florida, but he still oozed potential. He just could not make it work at the NHL level. The Canucks evaluated him, broke down his training, and gave him his confidence back.

We snuck him through waivers the first year, he landed in Utica and the re-moulding process began. Him and Travis Green drove that Comets team all the way to the Calder Cup finals, they didn’t win, but Marky was the star of the show and pushed them all the way there. His goaltending was fantastic.

Fast forward to the following season, we had signed Ryan Miller to stabilize our net while we develop our new young goalie. This move ends up proving to be so significant for Marky, as it enabled him to take his time and adjust his game to the NHL. By the time Miller is gone, Marky looked so ready to take over the net.

Last season and this season, Marky has proved to be our starter. He has cemented himself in the position. Demko and DiPietro have some big shoes to fill if they want to take his job!! Congrats Marky on your journey to the All Star game, you have earned it! 

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

This is amazing news. So happy for Marky. It makes me really appreciate the time we took to develop him as a prospect. We got him tattered and torn from Florida, but he still oozed potential. He just could not make it work at the NHL level. The Canucks evaluated him, broke down his training, and gave him his confidence back.

We snuck him through waivers the first year, he landed in Utica and the re-moulding process began. Him and Travis Green drove that Comets team all the way to the Calder Cup finals, they didn’t win, but Marky was the star of the show and pushed them all the way there. His goaltending was fantastic.

Fast forward to the following season, we had signed Ryan Miller to stabilize our net while we develop our new young goalie. This move ends up proving to be so significant for Marky, as it enabled him to take his time and adjust his game to the NHL. By the time Miller is gone, Marky looked so ready to take over the net.

Last season and this season, Marky has proved to be our starter. He has cemented himself in the position. Demko and DiPietro have some big shoes to fill if they want to take his job!! Congrats Marky on your journey to the All Star game, you have earned it! 

I feel that mention has to be made, in part, to Ian Clark who's done an amazing job recently in helping Marky "settle" things and reach the elite level.  Marky's such a big guy that positioning is critical and I feel that he's really absorbed everything that he's been shown and is utilizing it well.  That he's been so willing to learn and adjust and has a huge level of compete that, in the past, has maybe worked against him but he's now channeled and can use in a focused way.  

He's "put the work in" and it shows.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, J-23 said:

Because of our fanbase and media.

Luongo was a good example of this.

The "goalie graveyard" nickname started long before Luongo. After McLean left the Canucks couldn't find a quality and consistent net minder for years until Luongo came on the scene. There was a revolving door of has beens, minor leaguers and "goalies of the Future" that never panned out or couldn't find traction. This history highlights how brilliant it was of JB to bring in Ryan Miller as his first order of operation when becoming GM. As bad as those times were for our "retooling" team, it would have been vastly worse without Millers steady veteran presence back there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Edler has 20 pts in 31 games and he is a +4. Giordano has 19 pts in 42 games and has an even +/-. If Giordano goes, Edler should be there as well by this logic. Only reason Giordano is there is because he was snubbed in favour of some Sharks players last year. They want to make it up for him.

excellent point. 

as a sidenote, how about eagle? back to back seasons at a 50+ point pace in his mid-30s. the guy is a champion. we haven't given him the respect he deserves over the last 12 years or so. 

and when was the last time the canucks had 2 defencemen scoring at a 50+ point pace halfway through a season?

• Cheers 1