The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Things that don't make sense about hockey.

Rate this topic

On a delayed penalty, if the team that was going to have the power play scores, there is no penalty and the guy who did the infraction doesn't get 2 minutes on his stat sheet.

The team should still get the penalty.  The other team scored but it was even strength.  They never got their power play and it shouldn't be cancelled.  Whoopee, they got to pull their goalie for fifteen seconds or something and the goal against them counts if they flub it into their own net.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Industrious1 said:

Do any other sports have vastly different rules that they follow in their playoff format?

great point.. 

a team gets to the playoffs on one set of rules (which is arbitrary night to night, ref to ref) and then plays on a seemingly different set of rules (which is arbitrary night to night, ref to ref) 

I'd be so confused as a player.. 

4 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I fink the goalie center ice rule was put in because a team on the attack could pull their goalie and get him to freeze the puck in the offensive zone? 

Interesting! A simple fix though would be to penalize freezing the puck in the opposing offensive zone.

5 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Faceoffs - just drop the dam puck.  They always waive one guy out then the next guy does the exact same thing and no penalty(Cheech always talks about this.)

This x1000

Who is cheecho? 

Just a thought what if we did 2 30minutes half. Instead of 3periods.

On 1/17/2020 at 7:39 AM, Industrious1 said:

Do any other sports have vastly different rules that they follow in their playoff format?

And I hope this never changes, it's WAY better hockey during th second season - 

which leads me to my main complaint.

I have also watched hockey for a long time - from the blood bath (sometimes literally see the beating on Bouchard) when I was a kid in the 70's - to the golden era of the 80's - mid 90's to the clutch and grab to lockout to current era - the refs are calling what used to be a normal hockey play way too often.  The scales have titled so far and refs are so whistle happy that the regular season is like watching an old all-star game with how much hitting and rough stuff happens.  Ok a bit of an exaggeration...

Get the concussion issues but hey these are grown men making millions of dollars....no enforcers - have mixed feelings about that so far Parros is wildly inconsistent and have no trust in the league policing itself.   

On 1/16/2020 at 11:00 PM, luckylager said:

Can't make contact with goalies who leave their crease while playing the puck.

This! Drives me nuts how goalie interference can be called when the goalie is outside the crease. Goalie's should be fair game if they are not in their crease or close to it.

Especially frustrating when playing against Mike Smith. He milk this like there is no tomorrow.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

On 1/17/2020 at 1:09 AM, luckylager said:

From Victoria, it's the same price to fly to Phoenix, get a hotel and watch the Canucks game as it is to drive+ferry to Van, get a hotel and watch the game.

Lived there for three decades and remember this well...back to back games were definitely the best value ... a few places within a two minute walk to both arena made it easy but it definitely wasn't cheap...

• Cheers 1

On 1/16/2020 at 10:09 PM, luckylager said:

From Victoria, it's the same price to fly to Phoenix, get a hotel and watch the Canucks game as it is to drive+ferry to Van, get a hotel and watch the game.

Tickets in Phoenix must have gone up!!  You paying the same price, you're getting ripped off!!!

• Haha 2

On 1/16/2020 at 10:00 PM, luckylager said:

Can't make contact with goalies who leave their crease while playing the puck.

Or how goalies don't get interference penalties when they are obviously throwing a pick behind the net.

I think goalies should be fair game, but I think it would result in to many charging calls and injuries/fights etc, considering a good clean hit results in a fight these days.

I also think that if there is a fight after a clean hit the hitter should only get a 2 minute roughing call and the other player an instigator and 5 min major

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1