The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB In Historical Context

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

37 minutes ago, gurn said:

Not often a group loses a lead singer/songwriter and keeps going on, with the escapee also having a fine career as a solo act.

Such an established group needs a keen eye for young, upcoming, prospective talent, as a way to replace the outgoing, more established player.

Kinda like a GENIUS hockey GM needs to draft fine, young, elite skill to continually load up a winner. OMG..sounds like someone we all know?!

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Such an established group needs a keen eye for young, upcoming, prospective talent, as a way to replace the outgoing, more established player.

Kinda like a GENIUS hockey GM needs to draft fine, young, elite skill to continually load up a winner. OMG..sounds like someone we all know?!

the resolution of all the fruitless searches :ph34r:

• Vintage 1

What I find is with JB having a body of work, it allows for the one offs and outliers to be seen for what they are, mistakes.  What I have also seen is a rookie GM and  mistakes were to be expected.  If JB was unable to learn from his mistakes, then he would be long gone, but he has gotten better each season, like his club.  

Credit, to where it is due.  For every poster that berated him for every mistake, some were bad, LE, but I cannot fault his drafting, by any metric, is the best in club history.  With two rookies in the starting lineup, JB has a chance to land his fourth consecutive Calder nominee.  That he has 3 in a row is &^@#ing incredible and some jag offs posters are still sour that he didn’t pick Nylander in 2014.  

wtf...

JB has assembled the best pool of drafted talent in club history, hands down, no one else is close.  Take away Bure, JB has drafted the two most exciting players in club history, so on and so on.  

Phats 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

What I find is with JB having a body of work, it allows for the one offs and outliers to be seen for what they are, mistakes.  What I have also seen is a rookie GM and  mistakes were to be expected.  If JB was unable to learn from his mistakes, then he would be long gone, but he has gotten better each season, like his club.  

Credit, to where it is due.  For every poster that berated him for every mistake, some were bad, LE, but I cannot fault his drafting, by any metric, is the best in club history.  With two rookies in the starting lineup, JB has a chance to land his fourth consecutive Calder nominee.  That he has 3 in a row is &^@#ing incredible and some jag offs posters are still sour that he didn’t pick Nylander in 2014.  

wtf...

JB has assembled the best pool of drafted talent in club history, hands down, no one else is close.  Take away Bure, JB has drafted the two most exciting players in club history, so on and so on.  

Phats 

I wasn't a fan in his first couple years, but he turned it around with the Burr and Hansen trades, even though neither worked out.  I also loved the Petey draft, and see the logic in the vast majority of his moves since then.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I wasn't a fan in his first couple years, but he turned it around with the Burr and Hansen trades, even though neither worked out.  I also loved the Petey draft, and see the logic in the vast majority of his moves since then.

I didn’t expect much other then a steep decline which didn’t take long.   Was losing patience with him until he made those trades too - and if there was a pivot in his tenure that for sure was it.   Overall he’s done a good job.   Not many media types are hard on him anymore too, and a lot are singing his praises. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 1/15/2021 at 1:29 PM, IBatch said:

I didn’t expect much other then a steep decline which didn’t take long.   Was losing patience with him until he made those trades too - and if there was a pivot in his tenure that for sure was it.   Overall he’s done a good job.   Not many media types are hard on him anymore too, and a lot are singing his praises. 

:frantic:

Edited by Lazurus

On 1/14/2021 at 7:35 PM, Phat Fingers said:

wtf...

Phats 

Have we ever been so bad that’s we’ve picked in the top ten 6 years on a row. 
so when you have to blatant misses in JV And OJ they don’t stand out as bad.

And going by his own words and actions when he was hired making the playoffs had been his goal every season signing Ryan Miller LE snd all the other ufa vets kinda says that what he thought he could do which he failed miserably and has handcuffed himself with terrible contracts signings and trades.

he’s done some good but he’s below average on almost every front giving him credit for the high first rd picks because his group sucked not sure any gm in our past wouldn’t have achieved the exact same thing.should we see more of our own picks in he line up and less scrapes like harmonic and beagle sutter ar 

yes higlanders in but after the first rd and mind you again to ten the drafting seems to fall of a cliff but h the end again he’s traded away more picks than any other gm too. 
The team depends on the goaltender to win 80% of the game and I don’t think we make the playoffs last season if COVID did gift it to us. 

I guess this season will tell us if the team fails his trump like loyal supports will claim fake news and shortened season excuses. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 12:06 PM, Tracksuit said:

Have we ever been so bad that’s we’ve picked in the top ten 6 years on a row. 
so when you have to blatant misses in JV And OJ they don’t stand out as bad.

And going by his own words and actions when he was hired making the playoffs had been his goal every season signing Ryan Miller LE snd all the other ufa vets kinda says that what he thought he could do which he failed miserably and has handcuffed himself with terrible contracts signings and trades.

he’s done some good but he’s below average on almost every front giving him credit for the high first rd picks because his group sucked not sure any gm in our past wouldn’t have achieved the exact same thing.should we see more of our own picks in he line up and less scrapes like harmonic and beagle sutter ar 

yes higlanders in but after the first rd and mind you again to ten the drafting seems to fall of a cliff but h the end again he’s traded away more picks than any other gm too. 
The team depends on the goaltender to win 80% of the game and I don’t think we make the playoffs last season if COVID did gift it to us. 

I guess this season will tell us if the team fails his trump like loyal supports will claim fake news and shortened season excuses. 

How is Jake a blatant miss.  18 goals in a shortened season on getting 3rd line minutes... that is easily top six production.  So is Jake a bust?  No but there are shinnier picks, yes, but the players everyone wanted are only better but not when costed out vs dollar per point.  Give me the Jake we have vs the Nylander TO has, we can’t afford that guy.  Jake has a slower learning curve, sure but he was and is a solid pick, so was McCann.  

The player missed was Pasternak, and everyone practically missed him.   

D men can take time, remember Ohlund?  OJ was drafted as a project, with blue chip top 4 lock with top 2 potential if he could line things up completely.  Having him reach that here for a 10 year period would easily be a win.  How is anyone certain at this point OJ won’t reach that base line level of play.  

So to hear this right, JB has everyone of his 1st rounders drafted reach the NHL except for Podz.  Lind, Gads and Woo are the only 2nd rounders who haven’t yet reached the NHL, are they busts, are Demko and Hogs? How about Gaudette in the 5th round.  Depietro is looking good, Rathbone and Rafferty are also still here and that’s just off the top of my head.  

so JV is not a bust, but wasn’t the best choice, sure, but nowhere near a failed pick, OJ is way less clear, but no way is a bust yet.  After that, where has JB missed?  There were a few that said he goofed getting Brock over Keoncey ? Who is a healthy scratch in Philly atm.  Brock who has more goals per 60min from his draft year second to McJesus, how about Petey and Hughes.  Glass and whom ever Detroit drafted would have been the consensus picks, but JB went a different route.  He obviously learned and improved his drafting, cause he went with the consensus guy with Jake, he then went for positional need over BPA looking long term.  His scouting found him Brock, then Petey and then Detroit lost its mind and missed Hughes which was pure hockey gods luck.  But all the secondary picks look solid,  prospect depth went from the worst in club history to the best in that time frame.  

JB has had only 4 top ten picks, none lotto picks and his club has made the playoffs twice in 6 years.  Yet 3 of his non lotto picks would all be either top 5 in the redraft (Brock) or top 1 or 2 in their redraft with Hughes and Petey.  How many late round steals has JB already landed.  These picks are like found gold, cause they bring in NHL quality players at ELC rates to allow JB to shift money from the bottom six to the top six.  

yes he made mistakes, he clearly adapted and refined his drafting and the results are obvious.  Currently the only question mark is whether OJ will reach his base line.  Not worried, if JB gets that, he is drafting at 100% for the first round.  No Canucks GM can say that for more than a two year period, this is a six year spell.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
Typos
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/14/2021 at 7:35 PM, Phat Fingers said:

wtf...

Phats 

Well said, he seems to be trending in the right direction just like the team and sure there are/will be some bumps on the road to the Stanley Cup

On 2/2/2020 at 7:33 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

Well, it's kind of an obvious example and they came into the league with Gretzky, but the Oilers dynasty was mostly built on draft steals...

Paul Coffey - #6 OA in 1980.  2nd best offensive defenseman in NHL history and much closer to #1 Bobby Orr than he is to whoever is at #3.  Needless to say the best player in that draft and picked behind Doug Wickenheiser, Darren Veitch etc.

Jari Kurri - #69 in the same draft.  The Oilers themselves picked ?Shawn Babcock? one round earlier, not to mention every team who whiffed on Kurri twice, and three times for some teams.

Walt Poddubny - #90 in the same draft.  A forgotten but very good player.  Three straight years with 38+ goals in the NHL.  Oilers cleaned house at this draft.

Andy Moog - #132 at the same draft.  It is between him and Glenn Resch for the greatest backup in NHL history and Moog was also a near-HOF-level starter.

Kevin Lowe - #21 overall in 1979.  Passed over by other teams in the first round for Jimmy Mann, Jay Wells, Tom McCarthy, Ray Allison, Doug Sulliman, etc.

Mark Messier - #48 in the same draft.  Retired as the #2 all time scorer in NHL history.

Glenn Anderson - #69 in the same draft.  Hall of Fame.

Grant Fuhr - #8 in 1981.  Hall of Fame.  Picked after Jim Benning, Mark Hunter, Doug Smith, etc.  #8 is pretty high for a goalie, but he was still much higher than 8th best in that draft.

Marc Habscheid - Pretty darn good for 113th overall in 1981 (6th round).  The kind of quality player the Oilers didn't even need for depth.

Honestly, I doubt anyone has topped or ever will top this.  This was over three years.

Recall that this team of draft steals won a Cup without Gretzky.

When "Superscout" Barry Fraser came back down to reality, so did the OIlers.  Crashed down to earth more like it.

Yes, we do have the key pieces required to make a great run at it in a few years when the kids are in their primes and cap space has opened up. If Demko works out, we have a 1C, 1D and 1G all of which are not easy to get and all of which usually required to be an elite team.

That said, I'll wait til we win a Cup or two before I start making 80's Islanders or Oilers comparisons.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Worst start since Keenan.

historically he’s terrible.

This Team has gone through many rebuilds over the years to be match or be associated with the worst gm of this club says all you need to know about where JB will go down in Nucks history.

a 7 year capped out failure of a “retool” 

While staying competitive.
Good riddance 

DC0BA02D-33AE-4265-9DEE-EFF3FEABC412.jpeg

• Cheers 1

On 1/14/2021 at 10:35 PM, Phat Fingers said:

wtf...

Phats 

Good post.   Now some detractors are complaining there is nothing left in the pool except Podz - like JB is supposed to pull a miracle, Calder candidate,  out of his butt every single draft like it's a bar set that he or any GM should make lol.    Your right - with half a season left and Hoglander playing well enough to get a little time with EP...well let's just say if he bumps someone out of the first unit PP,  Hoglander absolutely has a great shot at our 4th candidate in a row (BB and EP and QHs wouldn't have made it without PP time they got)....

For sure he's in the top ten at the half way point.   Podz is ranked way higher then he was at the start of the season, our only top ten world-wide prospect - ahead of a dozen blue chip hopefuls - and for sure there will be a spot for him next season to succeed.   

Yes the team has drafted high over the last 7 drafts for the most part (well two no) - the thing is he's drafted like over that time period - we've averaged 3rd overall with all our picks.   Think about that for a minute.   Where has JB actually drafted?   Only two teams in the entire league ahead of us during that 7 year span.    Cant complain, if he was just average - we'd be 8-9th best and not 3rd.     Sure JV and OJ haven't worked out.   But we have what we have - which is a league wide top three best group of young guns.    Horvat being our eldest core member lol.   That's awesome.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

On 2/27/2021 at 10:39 PM, combover said:

Worst start since Keenan.

historically he’s terrible.

This Team has gone through many rebuilds over the years to be match or be associated with the worst gm of this club says all you need to know about where JB will go down in Nucks history.

a 7 year capped out failure of a “retool” 

While staying competitive.
Good riddance 

DC0BA02D-33AE-4265-9DEE-EFF3FEABC412.jpeg

Lol.  Context matters.   Only Milford can match his drafting - and to be able to say that after 7 drafts is unheard of.   MG?  Drafted 3 NHLers in six drafts and like JB gave away one first rounder.  Horvat, Hutton and Cantnotan lol... whoopie.    Nonis... had a top ten draft all-time for us - and a top five worst draft and a couple so so ones.  Still managed a lot more then MG did (who's factually one of the worst drafters all-time, in the entire league any GM).  

If you don't understand that JB position when he took over the club, worst prospect pool league wide - a country club created by MG tied his hands...let's just say i wasn't at all thinking this team had a hope in hell doing anything with the next core - and the JB wouldn't survive 3-4 years.   At best part of this core and the following one would do anything.   Three top three rookies in a row with a 23, 5 and 7th pick lol.    The two mistake's he made, was one year off on his own expectations with the club as far as placeholder contracts go (because his new core was just that good - i will take that any day compared to what the norm is ... BTW ... that's NOT normal)...and of course the low hanging fruit in LE... maybe Ferland too but that's an easy enough work around.  

Over the past 6-7 years i haven't read anywhere that he's godlike and perfect - nobody is saying that.   But the fact he rebuilt the team under those circumstances is really quite extraordinary.   I also completely understand folks being anxious that he will screw it all up with bad contracts .... but on that note what did he offer Tanev again?  4 x 2... which is what would have worked for the club.   Those three contracts won't well - and committing to 75ish million of 4-6 years - well let's say the timing isn't right if we actually want to contend.

Have people forgotten how that worked against Vegas?   Lol.   Terribly - awfully - worst 7 game series i've ever watched the Canucks play - we for sure we're NOT the better team.  Three words. Demko. Demko. Demko.   Who we'd have lost for almost nothing given the ED...Markstrom already?  struggling with an upper body injury (so they say)...and posting ... wait for it... a very average .909 sp do far. 

JB for sure has done enough to earn the right to put the finishing touches on this team.   And i expect he will get that time too.   And wouldn't be at all surprised to see TG back either.    Patience.   

Edit:  Not saying JB is the right guy, i don't know - and don't expect we will see TG back either.   But aside from Quin, this is the only team we've ever had that is completely his with the exception of Horvat and Edler ... I'm hoping he can create a reputation as good or better then Poile in NSH and Holland in Detroit.   There is no rule that a GM should be replaced every five years.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Over the past 6-7 years i haven't read anywhere that he's godlike and perfect - nobody is saying that. 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

But the fact he rebuilt the team under those circumstances is really quite extraordinary.

You're giving him credit for time simply passing.

Most of the players he's inherited have retired.

He had no other choice but to rebuild the team. What was else could he have done? Not ice a team?

You fast forward any team 7 years (especially an older one) and pick in top 10 in almost every one of those years... the team is going to look very different at the end. It's inevitable.

We need some standards here.