The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Columbus Blue Jackets | Mar. 01, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

That would be on the players to execute which they have not this week. Blaming the coach at this point is weak. 

When one or two players play like $&!# that’s on them, when it’s this many that’s on the coach.

• Haha 1

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Good points 

the tough thing is bringing in a third coach under Benning. Benning made 2 really bad hires 

but he also restocked our pipeline, I let him fire green 

Green was here to develop our young players.  EP, Hughes, Boeser, Virtanen, Marky, Gaud, Horvat all seem to have done quite well in that regard.  He might not be the guy for the team to take the next step, but he did what he was hired to do pretty damn well.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

When you call the coach an incompetent fool you deserve to be questioned about it. Also it is painfully obvious Green is getting the full year to see what he can do with his team. So calling for his head  every game is tiring at best. Especially when those posters arguments are weak at best. 

And surely there's no baiting on the Fire Green camp. None at all... lol

Have never called him an incompetent fool. Your words. Not mine. 

You posted 30 confused emoji tonight. Thats baiting partner. 

Look. Green will probably not be fired until after the season. But calling him out is useful if you believe he needs to reevaluate what he's doing. Shrugging and accepting poor coaching because management will probably wait till the summer is not helping. 

• Wat 2

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Idk about firing Green. The coach doesn't go on the ice. That was a young team choking away a game. 

I'm wondering more about Benning's future, potentially 5 years without playoffs & they mortgaged the future to make it this year. The cap situation is coming home to roost & it doesn't seem to be getting any better for next year.

Green isn't going anywhere this year. If Benning stays, I wonder if firing Green would be a somewhat Torts-like last resort move, as JB's job would almost certainly be riding on next year.

If Benning is gone, who knows if a new GM would want to keep Green around. I like Green but its hard to defend this passive defensive structure. You could see early in the year it would be problematic.

If we lose out on Toffoli and he can't manage the cap then that would be the start of the snowball.

If we don't make the playoffs this year and next year he'd be gone for sure. NJD would get a lotto pick and fans would be in uproar.

1 minute ago, on the cycle said:

Except it wasn't the young guns losing it late it was the Veterans. Sutter and Roussell taking penalties late and Hughes only played one shift in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd and that was after the 4-3 goal.

Hughes played over 18 minutes and his partner Tanev played around 16. Maybe he was exhausted

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

He's keeps putting Myers and Fantenberg on the ice and they are bleeding goals. He refused to change his lineup after the Ottawa game. That is coaching. Sorry.

Baumer runs the defence. 

And I never said he is a flawless coach. They did out shoot and out chance Ottawa they just didn't score. That's not egregious enough of a reason to fire him. Lol. 

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Idk about firing Green. The coach doesn't go on the ice. That was a young team choking away a game. 

I'm wondering more about Benning's future, potentially 5 years without playoffs & they mortgaged the future to make it this year. The cap situation is coming home to roost & it doesn't seem to be getting any better for next year.

Green isn't going anywhere this year. If Benning stays, I wonder if firing Green would be a somewhat Torts-like last resort move, as JB's job would almost certainly be riding on next year.

If Benning is gone, who knows if a new GM would want to keep Green around. I like Green but its hard to defend this passive defensive structure. You could see early in the year it would be problematic.

Keep 'er steady boys.

Crappy game. Put it to rest and move on.

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We're a better team if they are in the bottom 6(3rd line) and we surround them with better bottom 6 players than Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson, etc. 

Also if someone goes down they're there to step up. It would be great depth.

They need to round out their games a bit more though. They're still young.

Agreed.  But then you can't expect them to be more than secondary scoring when they're getting bottom 6 minutes.

Just now, canuck2288 said:

If we threw in Gallant and go on a tear perhaps 

status quo , not so much 

if gallant is our guy may as well get him in now 

I’m not sold on Gallant but at least I’d like to see them take a shot with him while there’s still time.

1 minute ago, The Great 8 said:

The players you listed have 0 value in a trade. It’s easy to say trade these guys and get cap space, but if it was like that every contending team would do it. the leafs had to trade their 1st away to dump cap. Are you suggesting we do the same?

Leafs were in a more dire situation and everyone knew it. Marner was a RFA and had to be signed.

We don't have to re-sign anyone big and can let guys go, which would not be good but it is still not nearly as dire as signing a Marner who could sign an offer-sheet.

That said I do think we will have to give up assets but not as bad as the Leafs.

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

Have never called him an incompetent fool. Your words. Not mine. 

You posted 30 confused emoji tonight. Thats baiting partner. 

Look. Green will probably not be fired until after the season. But calling him out is useful if you believe he needs to reevaluate what he's doing. Shrugging and accepting poor coaching because management will probably wait till the summer is not helping. 

I agree. I just want to see something different when he comes out. Your team absolutely failed. You should be worried about the way your team is trending. Not passing it off as we played great.

That was a horrible penalty by Roussel at the end. What was he doing?
Don't blame Sutter for his--he was caught in an awkward position.
We were the better team tonight, but their goalie was better.
Even when it was 3-1 I thought Domingue looked shaky.

2 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

The players you listed have 0 value in a trade. It’s easy to say trade these guys and get cap space, but if it was like that every contending team would do it. the leafs had to trade their 1st away to dump cap. Are you suggesting we do the same?

Or the GM can not be an idiot and don’t sign those players, all this talk about needing vets to show the young guys how to win, yet the vets are the ones who have cost them a lot of points this season by taking stupid penalties or making dumb mistakes all season long 

10 minutes ago, Wayne Jetski said:

Thanks @StealthNuck  that’s really sad tbh. JP is a bozo deluxe but come on Travis. Man up. If you cannot handle a reporter how can you handle the room...?

It happens, I'm pretty sure that Brian Burke or Pat Quinn banned Tony Gallagher from the Canucks dressing room.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2