The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tryamkin Re-signs in KHL for 1 Year

So does he become a UFA after another year?  If so, I'd be surprised to see him in a Canuck uniform again.  Think about it from his perspective... he had basically publicly stated he wants to rejoin the Canucks, and instead of signing him, the Canucks went on to sign Rathbone (which is the smart move btw) instead.  If any other team wants him, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to just move onto another team.  It's not like there is loyalty here from either party.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, mll said:

That's not an option.  He is a RFA and has to be signed by a certain date.   In the past RFAs had to be signed by 1 December or they couldn't play for the remainder of the season.  The recently approved CBA MOU has a tentative start date to next season of 1 December - that would mean a signing sometime in the 2nd half of January at the latest for RFAs.  His KHL season will still be underway.  He can't play in the NHL next season unless his KHL contract has an out-clause, which is doubtful, so he can meet that RFA signing deadline.

Forgot about that (no coffee yet). But with start dates still quite up in the air, who knows what will happen? Maybe the K shuts down? Maybe the NHL starts later? Maybe the deadline gets pushed to match the end of the K season?

Nobody knows much of anything at this point.

Either way, Tryamkin made his bed. It was his decision to leave in the first place.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So does he become a UFA after another year?  If so, I'd be surprised to see him in a Canuck uniform again.  Think about it from his perspective... he had basically publicly stated he wants to rejoin the Canucks, and instead of signing him, the Canucks went on to sign Rathbone (which is the smart move btw) instead.  If any other team wants him, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to just move onto another team.  It's not like there is loyalty here from either party.

He's an RFA until August 30th 2021. 

8 minutes ago, mll said:

That's not an option.  He is a RFA and has to be signed by a certain date.   In the past RFAs had to be signed by 1 December or they couldn't play for the remainder of the season.  The recently approved CBA MOU has a tentative start date to next season of 1 December - that would mean a signing sometime in the 2nd half of January at the latest for RFAs.  His KHL season will still be underway.  He can't play in the NHL next season unless his KHL contract has an out-clause, which is doubtful, so he can meet that RFA signing deadline.

Presumably they will make the adjusted date prior to the end of the KHL season so they don't end up with a bunch of extra players parachuting into the league.

It was going to be tough to sign him with everything that is going on.  The fact he can play almost a whole season of hockey in the KHL before the NHL even starts (if it starts), is a big deal.  

This way he comes back in a year along with a fellow Russian Podkolzin.

• Cheers 1

We had to sign Rathbone. No choice. He is just better than Tryamkin. I think we should trade Tryamkin's rights because I think he hits the open market if he can next year. I don't think he will give us preference. That's fair. We didn't give him preference, either.

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Forgot about that (no coffee yet). But with start dates still quite up in the air, who knows what will happen? Maybe the K shuts down? Maybe the NHL starts later? Maybe the deadline gets pushed to match the end of the K season?

Nobody knows much of anything at this point.

Either way, Tryamkin made his bed. It was his decision to leave in the first place.

I think there's a vert high chance that is how it shakes down and I have doubts that the NHL plays beyond this playoff as well.

Absolutely agree, he showed his hand already, he was never going to come back without preferential treatment and he's not good enough for that ask, imo.

• Cheers 1

This move makes sense for him given the late start of the NHL season next year.  KHL starts in September, NHL in December.  If something happens with the KHL and it gets cancelled, he can come over for the start of the NHL season.  

Probably works better for us anyway.  I'd far rather see one of Rathbone, Rafferty, Joulevi get a shot next year, while Tryamkin is over in Russia.  He comes over the following season when we are through the cap crunch and ready to go on playoff run.

Can't blame him, he's gotta play somewhere and we're not in the greatest cap position right now. Who knows what happens with the upcoming season either with everything that's going on in the US. He's got better odds playing over in Europe imo. 

It's encouraging that it's only a one year contract, we'll see what happens. Maybe he signs, maybe next summer comes and he walks. It's up to him and management. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No not really, but the poster made the comment that we can't even sign our prospects, 2 days after we just signed arguably our TOP prospect...

Yes, definitely a 'funny' comment on multiple levels :lol:

Give the poster credit for posting something with so much depth and nuance. Layers like an onion I tell ya :lol:

• Haha 2