The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. St. Louis Blues | August 17th, 2020 | 7:30pm PT, SNP | R1G4

Rate this topic

Roberts

Maybe  I am just dreaming but if Sutherland comes in and does yet another hatchet job on us doesn’t that look obvious in terms of his bias against the Canucks?

perhaps him in tonight helps as maybe he goes out out of his way to be “fair” to us? 

meh yeah I am dreaming 

8 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Oh joy. - not looking forward to 60 pages in the thread about how the refs stole the win from us .............

"

Consider Sutherland's history with the Canucks, and then ask why the NHL would assign him to the series for a crucial, deciding game.

This is the same referee who, this past March 3, gave Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault a two-minute bench minor in a game against the Calgary Flames, leading to a goal that cost Vancouver the game. The flashpoint for the penalty?

As a livid Vigneault explained later: "That penalty that was given to me in the third period, all I did was stand on the bench and say, 'That's an elbow.' Not one g-damn word. Nothing. I didn't use the f-word. I stood on the bench for .5 seconds and I said, 'That's an elbow.' And that's how I got two minutes and that's how they scored the goal.”

He added: "The same accountability that is demanded of players and coaches is demanded of referees and that's not acceptable. There's no way we should lose this game on a call like that."

Sutherland is the same ref who ended up handing the Canucks five straight penalties in Game 4 during Vancouver's 2011 playoff meeting with San Jose, including two five-on-threes. He was one of two refs on the ice when Chicago Blackhawk Duncan Keith concussed Daniel Sedin—who was in the neutral zone without the puck—in a March 21, 2012 game against the Canucks. Sedin missed the rest of the regular season, and the first three games of the playoffs. Keith was assessed a two-minute minor.

And let's not forget that Sutherland is the ref who, during the 2011 Stanley Cup finals against the Boston Bruins, &^@#ed up a Game 6 call that Stevie Wonder and Helen Keller would both have got right. You might remember Boston Bruin Brad Marchand using Daniel Sedin's head as a speedbag, later explaining that he repeatedly punched the Canuck star in the head because "I felt like it."

Sutherland was right there in the middle. Sedin asked Sutherland why he wasn't calling a penalty. Sutherland responded with "I will," causing Sedin to respond with "When—after the fifth punch?" 

True to his word, Sutherland then gave Sedin a 10-minute misconduct for being punched repeatedly in the head. "

https://www.straight.com/blogra/379661/clueless-kelly-sutherland-isnt-only-one-who-hates-canucks

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Maybe  I am just dreaming but if Sutherland comes in and does yet another hatchet job on us doesn’t that look obvious in terms of his bias against the Canucks?

perhaps him in tonight helps as maybe he goes out out of his way to be “fair” to us? 

meh yeah I am dreaming 

Just make sure we don’t get punched in the head, or say that’s an elbow, or go shoulder to shoulder - will result in an ejection