The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I would be all for taking Fleury if we can get Vegas to retain at least 2-3m and we get either a 1st and Korczek or at worst a 2nd and Korczak. We add a decent veteran G for 2 years, leaving him exposed to Seattle and we gain a decent RHD prospect as well.

I would also entertain taking on a Tampa contract if we could get Cernak or Foote included. Maybe we can send Roussel back who has 2 years at 3m and they flip him elsewhere?

Any retention on MAF will decrease his value. We could probably handle his full cap hit for a couple years, maximizing the return. 

They clearing cap to re-sign Cernak and their other RFAs so that’s off the table. Their picks and prospects would definitely be on the table though. 

6 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I think a 1st is going to be a must as part of the trade for OEL, I also think Arizona is likely only willing to take 1 bad contract back and it likely is for a player with only 1 year remaining...meaning Sven, Sutter or Benn. If we make a deal we need to send at least 1 of those contracts along with Roussel or LE with retention. 

This makes sense. I'll bet the deal is closer to:

1st + Sutter + Juolevi for OEL. They save around $3M this year, and then are off the hook.

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So unless the trade goes perfectly, all in Vancouver's favour, you're going to constantly spam the board with Jim-hate? That's not how negotiations work.

Should I just put you on ignore now?

ARZ's GM is just doing his job. He's got time left , which he's using, and he's attempting to see if anyone will blink. They may or may not. Then he either takes what's on the table, or he doesn't.

People just need to calm down and wait for things to unfold...:rolleyes:

Don't tell me what to do Agent! 

freaking out lord of the rings GIF

• Haha 4

As this drags on, I'm more inclined not to get OEL.

These past few days, no QO, buyouts, etc have shown that CAP SPACE is king.  

NHL is a gate driven league.  With Covid-19 no end in sight, I predict a flat cap for a few (2-3) years.  Gone are 7-8yr contracts.  Gone are over inflated contracts (see Lehner deal).

This is a good time to usher in youth on ELC to lower our cap hit.  Take our lumps and bruises along the way with fielding a young team.  Or perhaps take this opportunity to find great deals at bargain prices (without getting into cap troubles).

As for our bad contracts...we'll just have to live with them until they run out.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Robert Long said:

but OEL at 5.5 AAV. Holy crackers that would be a nice fit. 

So just on pure speculation / $&!#s and giggle:

2021 2nd and Lind to Detroit for 1/3 of OELs salary

2021 1st, Juolevi, Sutter to AZ

Is that a deal you do? 

not me, I think OJ is going to be great.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

18 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Arizona is likely going to want 1 of Pod or Hog. Unfortunately due to injuries and his lack of progress since being drafted 5th overall teams will not see OJ as having much value. Lind is a decent prospect I would like us to keep as I think he can be a versatile F for us going forward and a solid 3rd liner one day hopefully.

then meh, lets go elsewhere. AZ is in no position to demand A-prospects. 

28 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

tbh I don't think Hoglander is on the trade bait list either, too much scoring talent potential there. 

For me it would be Lind, Juolevi the most likely two on the block for prospects. 

Juolevi is very highly ranked in the organization. Not on the block but perhaps a neccessary move if needed. But someone the team wants in their future.

He will play big minutes for the Canucks down the road.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BPA said:

As this drags on, I'm more inclined not to get OEL.

These past few days, no QO, buyouts, etc have shown that CAP SPACE is king.  

NHL is a gate driven league.  With Covid-19 no end in sight, I predict a flat cap for a few (2-3) years.  Gone are 7-8yr contracts.  Gone are over inflated contracts (see Lehner deal).

This is a good time to usher in youth on ELC to lower our cap hit.  Take our lumps and bruises along the way with fielding a young team.  Or perhaps take this opportunity to find great deals at bargain prices (without getting into cap troubles).

As for our bad contracts...we'll just have to live with them until they run out.

Agree for the most part, but I also feel like signing Hughes/Pettersson etc to full length deals with lower cap hits due to the flat cap over the next 2 ish years will be this teams saving grace and Benning would be crazy not to try to get them locked up at max term under decent cap hits

24 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What's to say ARI keeps OEL, and he sits - until he's willing to expand his list. 

They owe him 43.5 million over the next 5 seasons. He has a NMC. I'm sure if he had to he'd sit and they would still have to pay him and his cap hit would still be on their books.

Benning needs to dig in his heels and walk away if need be!!

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

There’s one year left on ELC so I don’t buy it. Can’t throw everything away for one year Especially with the potential of the season falling apart due to COVID 

Forget ELC's. Can't take a step back period. Gotta try and make this team better.

37 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Essentially we wouldn’t be taking much of a step back. MAF is a downgrade but still one of the better goalies available. 

Killorn is about the same level player as Pearson. 

Probably will have enough cap to re-sign a couple mid-tier players. Could re-sign Stecher. 

We would be more reliant on youth stepping up though but IMO it is worth all the youth we’d get for these players. 

The problem with Killorn is he has multiple years left. They'd have to sweeten that quite a bit for us to retain on Pearson too.

To me getting the picks would be about gaining trade capital going forward. But multi-year deals would he concerning. 

MAF works, & would fit well for the expansion draft.

Oh boy

"The teams are believed to be grinding over which prospect or player is included in the deal. Coyotes have asked for goaltender Demko, which is a non-starter for Vancouver. There is also the issue of how much money Arizona may or may not take on as part of the trade package."
Quote Tweet

Jim is going to end up overpaying for OEL. Must be the only GM in league history who has leverage on a trade and still end up overpaying

Edited by Squamfan
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What's to say ARI keeps OEL, and he sits - until he's willing to expand his list. 

Lol, the whole point of ARI wanted to get rid of him is to save money....they are not going to pay 8.25M and sit him in the pressbox!!

They gave him the money, they gave him the NTC, they initiated the trade discussions...they literally have no argument to keep him on the bench.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Agree for the most part, but I also feel like signing Hughes/Pettersson etc to full length deals with lower cap hits due to the flat cap over the next 2 ish years will be this teams saving grace and Benning would be crazy not to try to get them locked up at max term under decent cap hits

This would be ideal.

I truly have no desire to follow TO model of $10M+ for 3 players.  Yes they are superstars but it's a team game.  And you need all the right pieces to win the Stanley Cup.

For Vancouver, it would be Petterson (#1C)  and Hughes (#1D).  No one else should top them in $$ and term (years).

Also gone should be NMC and NTC.  At most, have M-NTC (ie. 10 teams to submit ...no trades to them) if required to reduce the cap hit.

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Forget ELC's. Can't take a step back period. Gotta try and make this team better.

The problem with Killorn is he has multiple years left. They'd have to sweeten that quite a bit for us to retain on Pearson too.

To me getting the picks would be about gaining trade capital going forward. But multi-year deals would he concerning. 

MAF works, & would fit well for the expansion draft.

3 years left on Killorn. Yeah that probably be Foote and a good pick or two. TBL is saving 3M that season and having a player for a year in Pearson who’s similar level. 3M is probably most of Cernak’s contract. 

Killorn would probably mean we aren’t acquiring any top 6 forward via FA for 2-3 years. We would become reliant on the youth. 

If it net us Foote and 1st or a couple early picks I would jump all over that. 

9 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

They owe him 43.5 million over the next 5 seasons. He has a NMC. I'm sure if he had to he'd sit and they would still have to pay him and his cap hit would still be on their books.

Benning needs to dig in his heels and walk away if need be!!

I’m hoping he stands pat on the deal that he’s made. I heard updates that Vancouver’s sweetened the deal. From the sounds of it Arizona needs to get rid of him and our offer is the best and might be the only one on the table. That’s their fault for the contract they gave to OEL. I just keep thinking Benning feels like he needs OEL now and might give up too much to get him. Might be able to ditch one of our bad contracts like Baertschi with a pick and sign both Tanev and Barrie while keeping the dollars around the same with giving up less than it sounds for OEL and not have an 8.25 contract for 7 more years.