The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

5 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

Can’t say that’s an upgrade. Defensively it doesn’t help us at all. 

I think it's okay.  Tanev, Myers, Edler, Joulevi are pretty solid on D, and gives us Hughes and Barrie to get the puck moving in the positive direction.  I'm not convinced that stay at home D is the need more than speed to move out of the zone, which Barrie gives us.  I think it may a bit of an illusion.

2 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Welppp I guess Juolevi and Rafferty will be regulars next season. 

Plan b is to sign Barrie

Elders - Barrie

Hughes - Myers

Juolevi - Rafferty

Tbh on paper it doesn't look bad. Lots of puck moving ability and offensive punch on the bottom pairing. Good balance of defence and offence.

Fingers crossed someone else makes the mistake of signing Barrie.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Astounding how some can call the missed opportunity to get a top-pairing dman at a discount a "good thing".

:unsure:

Depends on what the ask was, sometimes walking away from a deal is the right move 

If Arizona was acting as if we were the team the pressure was on it likely wasn't much of a discount 

Would have been neat to have robbed them, but it didn't happen 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Goligoski is still a very good defenseman. He’ll have a market. Doubtful Stepan will as much. 

I agree.

Goligoski had 32 points in 70 games. Those are top 4 numbers. He also only has 1 year left on his deal. A playoff team looking for experience can easily be a good fit for him. 

Stepan has had an awful past two seasons but he also is only 30 and also only has a year left on his deal. He was a 50 point player before he played for Arizona and Tocchet. A change of scenery might do him well. Maybe Columbus wants some depth and experience? (He could be reunited with Torts where he had his best years). Ottawa? (Good veteran leadership for the young players; they can also afford him).

The thing about both these players is the term. They can hit or miss, but with a year left on both of their deals. Not much of a gamble. 

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think it's okay.  Tanev, Myers, Edler, Joulevi are pretty solid on D, and gives us Hughes and Barrie to get the puck moving in the positive direction.  I'm not convinced that stay at home D is the need more than speed to move out of the zone, which Barrie gives us.  I think it may a bit of an illusion.

You still don't want a defenseman who can't play a lick of defense, especially without a pure shutdown guy to babysit Barrie.

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Bro....  did you not see our D against Vegas in the playoffs?

Our D is far from solid.  

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

You still don't want a defenseman who can't play a lick of defense, especially without a pure shutdown guy to babysit Barrie.

I want to have D that can match the pace of the forwards and think the game fast enough.  OEL was the perfect choice for that but it fell through.  Stecher I liked but couldn't process the game fast enough, Edler is slower so should be more of the Tanev stay at home territory now.  We get hemmed in not because we are missing more Tanev's or Mark Staal's but because our D can't think or move fast enough out of the zone.  We need guys that can think fast and move the puck out as we have the guys that can play the shutdown role.