The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

good point. 

Bennings comments recently do make me wonder if he's moved on from OEL and is looking more for bigger bodes that can defend and bring some snarl., vs. puck moving/scoring types. 

My spidey sense thinks OEL is going to Boston. 

OEL-McAvoy would be a fun pair.

4 hours ago, BPA said:

JB mentioned he had enough puck movers.   So I think we can move on from an aging expensive OEL.

Yeah, I think the Schmidt addition last season ended any chances of us acquiring OEL at any point in the future. Benning was looking for that player type last year, and got him already.

Now we need the bigger/grittier/defensive guys to complement him and Hughes. That's not OEL.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

OEL-McAvoy would be a fun pair.

Yeah, I think the Schmidt addition last season ended any chances of us acquiring OEL at any point in the future. Benning was looking for that player type last year, and got him already.

Now we need the bigger/grittier/defensive guys to complement him and Hughes. That's not OEL.

I think we see a big improvement from Schmidt if he's here next year, which he should be. So often key players take awhile to realize their potential on a new team and become the go to guys. With a year under his belt and the struggles we had he's going to come in as a vet on this team and not have to worry about fitting in. He'll be much more able to take the reigns and step up to be a better player and a leader.

• Cheers 1

I really think we need to stop writing off Schmidt. The whole team was a disaster, and he's a... unique guy who might take a bit to settle in and gel. If he plays like the Vegas Schmidt, he will be a damn fine asset to the team. The likes of Hughes, Schmidt, and Rathbone is the kind of firepower we haven't seen since our run.

I also agree with Benning and those who believe we need a bigger D. I feel there are several big players on the UFA market who are decent shutdown guys who may not score much but also don't impede a cycle game. (Like Guddy always did). 

As usual, the difficulty is finding the cap space to fit them in. I see Benning having equal success moving out cap now than he did before. Which is to say, not at all.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 2

I have a feeling if the Canucks trade for OEL and ship out LE and Beagle or Roussel then Arizona would want Juolevi in the deal as it seemed they were high on him last season when the Canucks were in negotiations and I think Arizona have 3 defenseman under contract including OEL right now. 

7 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

I have a feeling if the Canucks trade for OEL and ship out LE and Beagle or Roussel then Arizona would want Juolevi in the deal as it seemed they were high on him last season when the Canucks were in negotiations and I think Arizona have 3 defenseman under contract including OEL right now. 

I can’t see us giving them OJ. Arizona has to realize they are in a Cap dump situation. No one will want that 8.25M contract for the next 6 years. They will have to eat some of that as well

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

I can’t see us giving them OJ. Arizona has to realize they are in a Cap dump situation. No one will want that 8.25M contract for the next 6 years. They will have to eat some of that as well

Juolevi has been passed by Rathbone on the depth chart and you can't have a Rathbone Juolevi pairing without looking like the Keystone cops, so he is the 7th defenseman and if it gets Arizona to eat $1-$2 Million a year then Juolevi has helped Vancouver get better. 

2 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Juolevi has been passed by Rathbone on the depth chart and you can't have a Rathbone Juolevi pairing without looking like the Keystone cops, so he is the 7th defenseman and if it gets Arizona to eat $1-$2 Million a year then Juolevi has helped Vancouver get better. 

I disagree. They play completely different games, both look promising. OJ had a rough finish due to losing 15 pounds during Covid. Rathbone looks impressive on offense, OJ is being groomed to calm the game down and close out close games. They are about even right now.

15 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I disagree. They play completely different games, both look promising. OJ had a rough finish due to losing 15 pounds during Covid. Rathbone looks impressive on offense, OJ is being groomed to calm the game down and close out close games. They are about even right now.

Juolevi only played sheltered minutes and you can't have a defenseman that the coach is scared to put in different matchups and still call that defenseman promising, Rathbone is promising.

3 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Juolevi only played sheltered minutes and you can't have a defenseman that the coach is scared to put in different matchups and still call that defenseman promising, Rathbone is promising.

All first year D play sheltered minutes, unless injuries necessitate them playing more primary roles. Rathbone was given a lot of prime time in offensive situations at the end of the season, but that doesn't diminish the play of someone being groomed for a more defensive role. OJ was sheltered in season ending games due to weight loss. He was kept off the lineup earlier in the season due to cap issues, but he looked solid and priming when out there.

I'm excited about both of these kids, the future looks bright!

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

All first year D play sheltered minutes, unless injuries necessitate them playing more primary roles. Rathbone was given a lot of prime time in offensive situations at the end of the season, but that doesn't diminish the play of someone being groomed for a more defensive role. OJ was sheltered in season ending games due to weight loss. He was kept off the lineup earlier in the season due to cap issues, but he looked solid and priming when out there.

I'm excited about both of these kids, the future looks bright!

I would honestly be perfectly fine rolling with a left side of Hughes, Juolevi, Rathbone. All 3 need to be thrown in the deep end a bit even if there are growing pains at first. I think the focus should be a top notch younger RHD to partner with Hughes long term. Re-sign Hamonic to play 3rd pairing with Rathbone or Juolevi if Myers or Schmidt is on their way out either through expansion or by trade.

Hughes-RHD

Juolevi-Schmidt

Rathbone-Hamonic/Myers

If traded, hopefully Schmidt (with other assets added if necessary) can get a top RHD, top 6 LW, or elite 3C. 

There are some good potential guys in free agency but the cost and term might be too much. I dont want to see long term mistakes made and Shaw alone is going to improve our D even without major personnel changes.

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

This will be 10x worse than the Erikkson contract, Beagle, Sutter, Roussel contracts combined. Doesn't this guy learn

This can’t happen, can it?

42 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Oof

maybe we could use OEL like Tampa used Kucherov....LTIR all season, then poof all better for the playoffs

• Haha 2