The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I dont think Virtanen has the IQ to become a top 6 forward.

Rate this topic

apollo18

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

and completely without reason.  Kids improved every single year, despite always getting the stick from TG and never the carrot

I think it is funny that someone would think the carrot is motivation to Jake.

Wouldn't be getting threads like this if he ate more carrots and less cheeseburgers. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Funny considering his numbers go up every year when others who get more ice time and better linemates go down.

Anyone whining about Jake already have their minds made up and don't really watch him play

Don't listen to the clowns that post ridiculous comments...Shows there IQ..lol lol

Nobody important read them.. 

I think Jakes style of play needs to remain a simple strategy, just like he teammates and coaching staff have brought forward in the past.

Simple north / south game , hard on the boards and good shooting positioning.

You're right , his IQ is not at the same level as most of his teammates., but his game is NHL caliber and if he has line mates that can bring the IQ and he brings his simple strategy that works as it has in the past

His #1 issue is effort and consistency while knowing his role on the team. As he matures each year he seems to add a bit more consistency but not enough yet.. I feel every teammate appeared to put in a more consistent effort than Jake because they know their role. Jake really doesn't know his role yet so he doesn't commit himself 100% IMO.

KISS (keep it simple....)

Hopefully that comes before we have to trade the dude!

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

Funny considering his numbers go up every year when others who get more ice time and better linemates go down.

Anyone whining about Jake already have their minds made up and don't really watch him play

Who has seen there numbers going down with better line mates. 
I do watch Jake and see a player that plays an indifferent game and is rarely engaged. 
So you think the way through to him is to say hey good job coming in out of shape again this year, here is a top six spot but don’t worry if you are making stupid lazy plays that even your line mates feel the need to call you out for, here is some more PP time because of your amazing professionalism. I mean with your talent, you almost got 20 goals one year, great job. 
The reality is he came to camp out of shape and was held in the third group for one day. He eventually worked his way into shape and was rewarded with Ice time and PP time. 
So, he got the carrot and how did he repay the team that needs him, the coach the rewarded him and the fans who supported him (including me), he came into another camp out of shape and was rightfully not put straight into the lineup. When he got in, he didn’t have time to play into shape and played a floating indifferent game And provided little offence and again couldn’t be depended on defensively. 
I have been a big Jake supporter historically but am concerned that what he has shown again just smacks of Kassian, I hope there are not the same underlying issues and that he is just a dumbass and not an addict.  

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Who has seen there numbers going down with better line mates. 
I do watch Jake and see a player that plays an indifferent game and is rarely engaged. 
So you think the way through to him is to say hey good job coming in out of shape again this year, here is a top six spot but don’t worry if you are making stupid lazy plays that even your line mates feel the need to call you out for, here is some more PP time because of your amazing professionalism. I mean with your talent, you almost got 20 goals one year, great job. 
The reality is he came to camp out of shape and was held in the third group for one day. He eventually worked his way into shape and was rewarded with Ice time and PP time. 
So, he got the carrot and how did he repay the team that needs him, the coach the rewarded him and the fans who supported him (including me), he came into another camp out of shape and was rightfully not put straight into the lineup. When he got in, he didn’t have time to play into shape and played a floating indifferent game And provided little offence and again couldn’t be depended on defensively. 
I have been a big Jake supporter historically but am concerned that what he has shown again just smacks of Kassian, I hope there are not the same underlying issues and that he is just a dumbass and not an addict.  

yet he had a career year......led the team in game winning goals, 4th on the team in hits, 4th on the team in goals, 4th on the team in powerplay goals, 4th in hits, 4th in takeaways etc etc etc despite being 17th in time on ice.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

He has the skill, I just think he is either sick of hockey,  and cant bring himself to try hard enough on a regular basis, or he is just content to be who he is. It's hard for some kids to give their early years completely to hockey . Some just dont have the desire like others to go that extra few feet. 

if you look at the stats on Jake on different lines, its either Jake is getting better or Green is a Jake specific genius in getting the most out of him on multiple line combo's. Maybe its somewhere in between. 

If Jake comes in at 2.5 mil AAV for 2 years I'll be happy to keep him if Green is still the coach, at least with that combo we know what we're getting. 

Sometimes I am really confused to the bashing. One says that he only had "spurts" of it last year where he produced most of his points while going cold at the beginning and at the end of the season. Due to that observation, we look into what lines he played on during those spurts and I have noticed, during those "spurts", he was mainly on the top line or on Bo's line. However, the OP says he doesn't play well with the top 6. So which is it?

So please for all the bashers, kindly discuss among yourselves which direction you are planning to use and be consistent with it. This bashing is all over the place. It seems like you are just randomly picking stats here and there to make fuel your own hatred.

Also, if the OP actually posted in one of those Jake Hate Threads, he would have noticed that there is an article by Canucks Army which did state he plays his best with EP/Miller (although i'm sure a lot of players play with with EP/Miller) but it trumps whatever the OP is saying thou.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

there are times when i've wondered if jake has the IQ required to tie his own skates without coach's help, but it's his lack of dedication, in my opinion, that really holds him back. I've said it before, but I get the impression he likes the 'chel lifestyle' a hell of a lot more than he actually likes playing hockey, or doing his job well for that matter. 

but hey, he's still a kid, relatively. I don't personally think he's ever going to put it all together consistently, but it's certainly not outside the realm of feasibility. 

7 hours ago, stawns said:

Wow... broad brush much?

I've supported Jake since we got him. People grumbling some time ago about trading him but I (and many) were like... no, he has all the tools... he will figure it out.

Then 2 camps in a row he comes in unready. He risks his playoff appearance by mingling around in a bar when he should be quarantined. Then this year the playoffs come, and he is almost nowhere to be found on the ice. I can live without him scoring much if he is a wrecking ball out there like he could be. He was neither.

He is improving - yes. Same could be said of almost all NHL players as they enter their prime. But he will never be the player we need him to be until he takes his career choice seriously and grows tfu. 

I believe Jake will be a good player in this league. I just don't know how long we are expected to wait for it in Vancouver.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, tas said:

there are times when i've wondered if jake has the IQ required to tie his own skates without coach's help, but it's his lack of dedication, in my opinion, that really holds him back. I've said it before, but I get the impression he likes the 'chel lifestyle' a hell of a lot more than he actually likes playing hockey, or doing his job well for that matter. 

but hey, he's still a kid, relatively. I don't personally think he's ever going to put it all together consistently, but it's certainly not outside the realm of feasibility. 

LOLZ..bro..that is just stupid. "the bolded part"

Agree 100%  he lacks hockey iq and 'wants' to play a finesse game in a big body. Problem with this is, if he had hands like Benn or Rick Nash he can but just doesn't have it. He is at best a 3rd liner.

All he does or is deeply programmed to do is:

a) skate through the wings shoot a low percentage low shot from the side which never goes in.

b) skate through the sides to the back of net around other side and pass it off.

To really change him is to coach/change that deeply engrained bad programming, very simple type of player. Only thing keeping him in is his skating and sometimes good shot and sometimes hitting. Never seen him just drive through the net and crash and bang then tussle with some defenders after the whistle. 

I would have traded him a long time ago to be honest. Simply put he plays like a bigger Mason Raymond with better shot, very similar areas where the attack.

• Upvote 1