The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes re-sign Gustav Forsling

21 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Benning really scouted a serviceable defencemen, but I think it was a fair gamble to trade him to get Clendenning, who ended up being a bad trade. The team was so busy trying to get a speedy retool.

Had solid offensive skills but his awful skating was his achilles heel (especially moreso for a defenseman).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Patrick Kane said:

Forsling had a 30 game stint where he was playing unreal, and deployed as a top pairing shut-down D in Chicago, but it went all downhill after that.

I have heard another hawks fan on these boards that basically said what you said. What went wrong?

38 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I guess Forsling will be the next "Kevin Connauton".... a Canucks prospect traded away, with the GM dragged through the mud for giving up too soon.... but the player eventually just ended up as some role player in the league.  

Yup. I mean don't get me wrong, I'd have LOVED to have had the NHL career either have/will but the amount of 'print' (particularly if the vitriolic variety) was, as usual, ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Don’t the Canes have a fairly deep blueline?   Might not even get a cup of coffee at the NHL this upcoming season.  Clendening, the guy we dealt Forsling for is still racking up a fair bit of points in the AHL.  Think he too has a two-way NHL contract.  Still can’t skate well enough to earn a spot in the NHL but his offensive skills are still more than enough to earn a living as a professional hockey player....just not a NHLer (except as emergency fill in)