The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 hours ago, Petey40 said:

It’s scary to think that those things could be true and whether or not they sentenced people to die by doing something like that. Speculation though. 

Lots if old people being turned away from hospitals in Italy. They only have so many hospital beds. So they're prioritizing treating the younger people over the old. 

So the old are essentially told to go home.. It's pretty much a death sentence for many of them. 

In China hundreds of thousands of people have it. Likely millions. They locked in a lot of people but usually left a way to deliver food into the house. I was following this story very closely for last couple of months. Lots of videos like this.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

As of Thursday, 66 out of 7,869, or 0.84%, South Korean patients confirmed to have the coronavirus have died.

Well under 1% die in Korea where they've tested a huge amount of people. In other counties like US not everyone with virus is being tested so the mortality rate is artificially high. 

When they start mass testing in US the mortality rate will drop by large margin. 

I see the problem the US will face as a similar one to Italy’s situation, you may see a lower mortality rate but the US has a high number of at risk patients similar to Italy. 42% of their population is affected by obesity and this disease affects not just the elderly but also people with underlying conditions including heart disease. I just hope it doesn’t get as bad as the way it’s currently trending.

Edited by Petey40
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Templeton Peck said:

In case anyone needed another reason to hate on Tim Hortons:

While I hate Tim Hortons myself and never go there it’s important to note that they (like McDonalds and some other fast food places) have franchisee owners for each restaurant under the umbrella Tim Horton’s franchise. So these are individual store decisions, not franchise wide. Anyone choosing to do this are dirtbags.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Bacon is also a reasonably priced, well-freezing option.

Good point, though that is much more fatty, so depending on what your priorities are in food eating it may not be an option for some. That said, I’m going to try that, because it sounds delicious and during this health emergency I’m in don’t give a f mode when it comes to my  eating. Never thought of doing that so thanks!

6 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

As of Thursday, 66 out of 7,869, or 0.84%, South Korean patients confirmed to have the coronavirus have died.

Well under 1% die in Korea where they've tested a huge amount of people. In other counties like US not everyone with virus is being tested so the mortality rate is artificially high. 

When they start mass testing in US the mortality rate will drop by large margin. 

This! Been saying it forever and it seemed so obvious do to lack of testing / unreported cases. Although, it will fluctuate place to place do to various factors. Yet, some media / people making it sound like it's so high...not to take away it's seriousness though.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Russ said:

That's the thing, sounds great saying it but how do you determine who would get money for their rent? Everyone that gets laid off or told to stay home? Like geeze it was such a broad statement that had absolutely zero info to back it up. I would really like to see a bit of a plan stated first rather then just saying "we will find a way to pay peoples rent so they don't have to worry" 

Its one of those 'you have to say something' moments otherwise there's so much disinformation going around that the void gets filled. It looks now like anyone getting a layoff notice won't have to wait to apply for EI so thats good. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Petey40 said:

Update: Just learned that my upstairs neighbours who I share laundry with and have had close contact with have been sick for about a week now and the father has been running a very high fever. 

Maybe I’m paranoid but I think they should be self isolating but they haven’t been and have been working and going about there life as usual. And they failed to make me aware of this.

balls man.. 

why are people so inconsiderate? it's just common decency at the best of times, let alone during a global pandemic

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Lite beer, white wine AND the toilet paper is on backwards :sadno:

do not trust this person!

Think outside the box friend,  person is reusing the toilet paper!  Use Both sides!  Makes your supply of TP last longer and good for the environment as there is less waste!

Alf told me about this trick!  You do have to wait for the TP to properly dry off and reroll it.

2 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

The person who I responded to was asking about non perishable foods. I put spinach in everything.

Good ;)

I'd add that carrots, onions potatoes and garlic also all store pretty well and that (while I know you were keeping price in mind), there's better non perishable things to eat than KD :P Rice, beans etc. Hell making your own, home made Mac and Cheese is really not that hard (or expensive depending on cheese you use) and tastes WORLDS better.

I recommend caramelizing some diced onion and adding diced garlic to your roux for an extra tasty cheese sauce ;)

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Good ;)

I'd add that carrots, onions potatoes and garlic also all store pretty well and that (while I know you were keeping price in mind), there's better non perishable things to eat than KD :P Rice, beans etc. Hell making your own, home made Mac and Cheese is really not that hard (or expensive depending on cheese you use) and tastes WORLDS better.

I recommend caramelizing some diced onion and adding diced garlic to your roux for an extra tasty cheese sauce ;)

You heard it folks!  OPEN invitation for all us CDCers to eat at aGENTs house!  But bring you own beer!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Stopped at Save On after work last night. Experience wasn't too bad, got most of stuff on my list.

Meat was cleared out. Except Beyond Meat. World is coming to an end and people still won't touch it. Tells you all you need to know about that! Lol

There a better options for plant based patties then the Beyond Meat products. I really like a product called Mushroom bites. Made in Vancouver. Sold in Save on Foods. Also in Victoria where I live we have a butcher at the Hudson Market that only sells plant based food that looks like meat. Their taste profile and texture compared to the Beyond Meat products is night and day difference. All natural organic ingredients that give you the protein you need in your diet. You don't need to have an innocent animal killed just so you can enjoy a tasty product on your plate or sandwich. Plant based diets are healthier for you. You won't feel sluggish, everything you eat will digest through you really easily, your testosterone will go up, your skin will clear up, inflammation in your body will improve and your joints will move better. You will loose weight and have a vibrant look to you and attract better looking people.  Vancouver has so many great vegan options. Give it a try. Your old diet isn't doing you any favours. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Mushrooms (regular button) are fairly cheap and great for boosting your immune system. Fry them up in some coconut oil with other veggies and put in a wrap with hummus 

Start day with a smoothie, I like to add Moringa powder - great source of vitamin C 

Brazil nuts are also really good for immune system. Costco has a delicious blend of nuts called Nuts for Nature. Has cashews, brazil nuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, and a bunch of other things

Daily vitamins are good. 

Use this as an opportunity to make more food at home and get healthy ingredients into you that you might not have cooked with in the past

• Cheers 2