The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

I understand people are scared right now but I just had one of the stupidest experiences since this whole thing started. I walked into the liquor store and initially between the people entering and the people paying the max distance you can have between you is about 3 feet. So a guy paying decides to turn around to me and start yelling at me “2 meters! 2 meters!” Which is physically impossible. But how could he possibly think it’s a good idea to turn around and yell at someone walking past instead of just keeping your back turned to them? Like he basically just spat all over me instead of keeping his mouth shut with his back turned. It was physically impossible to have 2 meters distance when entering. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Who are the "many experts"?  You should post links when making a strong statement like that please/thanks.

Very fast spreading causes hospitals to be overburdened and have to make some tough choices that WILL BE fatal for some as they go untreated.  And if they die because they didn't have access to a ventilator, I'm pretty sure that means the disease was fatal for them.  

For those who die, "not as fatal" is not appropriate.

'Fatal' as doctors refer to it means once you catch it what are the chances of a person surviving it based on the severity of the virus itself compared to other viruses.  In other words the characteristics of the virus itself.  It has nothing to do with having access to ventilators.  

SARs CoV1 from 2002 is recognized as not being good at infection but very fatal - its case fatality rate was 11%.  In other words hard to catch but if you caught then very fatal.  The current Covid as most know spreads very easily (wrong?) and as you should know from watching the news most people show only mild symptoms and recover from it (wrong?).   Many many more people are dying from it than SARS but that is a different kind of fatal.  

10 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

I understand people are scared right now but I just had one of the stupidest experiences since this whole thing started. I walked into the liquor store and initially between the people entering and the people paying the max distance you can have between you is about 3 feet. So a guy paying decides to turn around to me and start yelling at me “2 meters! 2 meters!” Which is physically impossible. But how could he possibly think it’s a good idea to turn around and yell at someone walking past instead of just keeping your back turned to them? Like he basically just spat all over me instead of keeping his mouth shut with his back turned. It was physically impossible to have 2 meters distance when entering. 

Dude cared that much about distance yet made an "essential" trip to a liquor store?  Me thinks he should recheck his priorities.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

I'm not criticizing you for this, it is the fault of the original publication, but this is exactly why I'm critical of news outlets/bloggers that publish research findings that clearly don't understand how to read empirical articles. 

First, while the outlet claims that 100% of patients were cured... the article they cite shows that 2/80 were not cured; one died and one is in serious condition. 2/80 = 2.5%, which is slightly above the existing mortality rate for the disease. The people that were cured... they were people that included 45% of the sample that were less than 50 (i.e., people that are already at a very low risk/likely to recover without the need for any type of treatment). 

Also, the article that the news outlet cites is not even published... at least based on where the link sends you to:

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/COVID-IHU-2-1.pdf

The article the authors wrote is what is referred to as a pre-print... what people sometimes upload before peer-review.  

Also, despite insinuations from the news outlet, the study was not a randomized control trial...

Edited by Down by the River
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Dude cared that much about distance yet made an "essential" trip to a liquor store?  Me thinks he should recheck his priorities.

I have been using skip the dishes to get all my booze delivered right to my front door.

Easy peasy....  I want to reduce my chances as much as possible with this virus.....

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I have been using skip the dishes to get all my booze delivered right to my front door.

Easy peasy....  I want to reduce my chances as much as possible with this virus.....

We should get a ring of fake emails and friend referrals going around so we don’t have to pay those inflated prices.

CDC’s own coupon syndicate.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, High and Inside said:

That fact that we only had 29 new cases seems like a good thing but is it realistic to the situation? There is confirmed cases and what’s actually out there. I hope BC is doing well but it seems maybe too good to be true. I still see my grocery store packed with people everyday so if the virus is indeed really out there people would definitely be getting sick. Are we testing enough? I would say the answer to that is no. 

I'm REALLY fearful that people will grab a low number and run with it.  That it's a bit of a false representation as it's only within a group being tested...and most are not being tested.

So "confirmed cases" only goes as far as a limited number having access to a test.  That the massive number of people walking around with it  is scary and should be considered.

No celebrating or letting up...but a 29 new cases won't deter those who are looking for excuses to let the guard down.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm REALLY fearful that people will grab a low number and run with it.  That it's a bit of a false representation as it's only within a group being tested...and most are not.

Totally with you there! I’ve heard of so many people that think they possibly have it and are still going out in the community. Without more widespread testing this could go downhill fast. Most people have had on and off colds all winter so if they have a mild case they will go out and if they unknowingly have the virus then they are infecting everyone else. I just don’t agree with the way our provinces medical team is running this. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1