The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

9 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

B.C. extends cap on food delivery fees:

Restaurants and bars facing ongoing challenges from the COVID-19 pandemic will continue to receive support from the Province through extension of the food delivery cap.

The cap limits the total fees delivery companies can charge food establishments, helping restaurants to continue to operate and build their own recovery while serving their communities.

"Over the last two years, the restaurant industry has shown such resilience and tenacity as it has adapted to overcome immense challenges from this pandemic,” said Ravi Kahlon, Minister of Jobs, Economic Recovery and Innovation. "We know food delivery charges were hurting hard-working businesses and their bottom line. That’s why we are here: to provide a helping hand by extending the cap to put more hard-earned money back into the pockets of people working in the restaurant industry.”

The temporary cap, which was set to expire at midnight on Dec. 31, 2021, is being extended until Dec. 31, 2022.

The cap limits fees charged to restaurants from food delivery companies at 15%. An additional cap of 5% will also be extended for other related fees associated with use of the service, such as online ordering and processing fees. This will ensure companies cannot shift their delivery costs to other fees.

The measure also prohibits delivery companies from reducing compensation for their drivers or retaining staff gratuity, making sure employees will continue to be paid their regular wages.

“The food delivery fee cap extension is like unwrapping a new gift just days before Christmas,” Ian Tostenson, president and CEO, BC Restaurant and Foodservices Association. “This is great news for the industry and allows so many restaurants from across our province to continue to provide take-out options to their customers. We want to thank government for listening to our concerns over these fees and continuing to take action to support our industry through these incredibly challenging times.”

The food delivery service fee cap is being extended under the COVID-19 Related Measures Act. The original order was put in place on Dec. 22, 2020, under the Emergency Program Act and extended in September 2021.  

Small-delivery service businesses that serve less than 500 restaurants will continue to be exempt from the order.

“The extension of the food delivery fee cap is great news for the restaurant industry,” said Warren Erhart, president and CEO, White Spot and Triple O’s restaurants. “This cap allows us to deliver meals to people on a more financially viable basis and continue to support our staff. We appreciate the extension of the cap as we continue to navigate these unique and challenging times.”

The food delivery fee cap extension is part of government’s ongoing support for the industry to allow restaurants to stay open and serve their communities during the pandemic. Earlier this year, the Province announced restaurants, bars and tourism operators with liquor licences were able to purchase beer, wine and spirits at wholesale prices permanently.

“Throughout the pandemic, our industry has faced a number of challenges – including high delivery fees,” said Mark von Schellwitz, vice-president, Restaurants Canada. “The cap brought in by the Province has helped bring down the costs associated with delivering meals to people. We are thrilled that this cap is being extended as we work to continue to adapt and recover from the pandemic.”

In 2021, the Province also amended B.C.’s liquor- and food-primary liquor licence to allow restaurants to sell and deliver sealed, packaged liquor products alongside the purchase of a meal for off-site consumption.

The Province has taken action to allow more than 2,000 temporary patios to become permanent under amended provincial liquor regulations.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021JERI0079-002421

I always call the restaurant directly and order for pickup.  

Food delivery apps are one thing that I've refused to get.  Gotta draw the line somewhere for how lazy I can be...  mind you I haven't made my own coffee in over a year :picard:

1 hour ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

I work  at walmart overnight and pretty much half the crew is wearing their mask over their nose now and most of those people take their mask off to talk or even freaking sneeze. Im absolutely done with these people who dont give a dam about safety. Wearing a mask below your nose is like wearing a condom on your balls, it aint gonna protect against anything.

Not that you should wear the mask under your nose, but isn't most of the spread done through the mouth?  Genuine question, not a rhetorical one. 

Feels like the restrictions today might be pretty strong.

The case numbers over the weekend were high and normally the testing on weekends isn't a lot. The WHO don't want large xmas gatherings...

I talked to 3 people at the gym today. All have adult children (20's) that are fully vaxxed with covid. 

One got it at Uvic. He has had to defer his exams as he is struggling with the sickness. His dad is worried. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Just seen an article.. the biontech ceo says 3 vaccine doses are not enough to stop the new omicron variant.

Does this not scream $cam? Pushing needles for dollars.

I'm double vaxxed but this is getting ridiculous, there will always be a new variant, much like the flu or the common cold.

Time to move on

Face Palm No GIF

1 hour ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Just seen an article.. the biontech ceo says 3 vaccine doses are not enough to stop the new omicron variant.

Does this not scream $cam? Pushing needles for dollars.

I'm double vaxxed but this is getting ridiculous, there will always be a new variant, much like the flu or the common cold.

Time to move on

No....no more than giving people affected and unable to work assistance screams "great reset"

Edited by Warhippy

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Feels like the restrictions today might be pretty strong.

The case numbers over the weekend were high and normally the testing on weekends isn't a lot. The WHO don't want large xmas gatherings...

I talked to 3 people at the gym today. All have adult children (20's) that are fully vaxxed with covid. 

One got it at Uvic. He has had to defer his exams as he is struggling with the sickness. His dad is worried. 

Any rumours on the restrictions?

Hopefully everyone is ok.

Clearly the local government doesn't look at stats from South Africa (this article echoes the facts presented in other epicenters e.g. England)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-17/s-africa-says-hospitalizations-in-omicron-wave-much-lower

South Africa Hospitalization Rate Plunges in Omicron Wave
By Antony Sguazzin
December 16, 2021, 10:20 PM PST Updated on December 17, 2021, 6:50 AM PST

South Africa delivered some positive news on the omicron coronavirus variant on Friday, reporting a much lower rate of hospital admissions and signs that the wave of infections may be peaking.

Only 1.7% of identified Covid-19 cases were admitted to hospital in the second week of infections in the fourth wave, compared with 19% in the same week of the third delta-driven wave, South African Health Minister Joe Phaahla said at a press conference. 

Health officials presented evidence that the strain may be milder, and that infections may already be peaking in the country’s most populous province, Gauteng.

Still, new cases in that week of the current wave were more than 20,000 a day, compared with 4,400 in the same week of the third wave. That’s further evidence of omicron’s rapid transmissibility, which a number of other countries, such as the U.K., are also now experiencing. 

South Africa, which announced the discovery of the variant on Nov. 25, is being watched as a harbinger of what may happen with omicron elsewhere.
Scientists have cautioned that other nations may have a different experience to South Africa as the country’s population is young compared with developed nations. Between 70% and 80% of citizens may also have had a prior Covid-19 infection, according to antibody surveys, meaning they could have some level of protection.

Currently there are about 7,600 people with Covid-19 in South African hospitals, about 40% of the peak in the second and third waves. Excess deaths, a measure of the number of deaths against a historical average, are just below 2,000 a week, an eighth of their previous peak.

“We are really seeing very small increases in the number of deaths,” said Michelle Groome, head of health surveillance for the country’s National Institute for Communicable Diseases. 

More than 90% of hospital deaths were among the unvaccinated or partially vaccinated, News24 reported, citing Waasila Jassat, a researcher with the NICD.
The number of Covid-19 hospitalizations in this wave is also being inflated by the fact that milder patients are being admitted because there is room to accommodate them. Many are there for other complaints but are routinely tested, according to health officials.

“We have seen a decrease in a proportion of people who need to be on oxygen,” Jassat said at the press conference. “They are at very low levels.”

There was also further evidence that the crest of infections may have already passed in Tshwane, the municipal area in Gauteng that includes the capital Pretoria. 

A wastewater analysis carried out by the South African Medical Research Council for the week ended Dec. 10 showed a declining proportion of viral particles for two successive weeks at the plant that treats water draining from central Pretoria.

Now I'm not saying that if it's necessary don't lock down, but it doesn't make sense to NOW when gov't won't administer testings and permits closing of vaccination clinics, plus they tell people to recover at home instead of getting checked (and the South African article stated that there's far fewer people needing oxygen and 91% fewer deaths).  If you think about it, all this indicates (along with the statistical data presented in the article) that this variant is not as SEVERE (not saying it's not transmissible because it certainly is) and ultimately there is fearmongering.  Note also that as of yesterday's local reporting, while there's 2.5k cases, there were 3 "Covid deaths", likely being that not all of them were Omicron.   

Edited by Phil_314

Dr. Fauci objects to Fox news host's rhetoric:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/tv/news/anthony-fauci-says-fox-news-jesse-watters-should-be-fired-on-the-spot-for-kill-shot-rhetoric/ar-AAS1s7i?ocid=msedgntp

Anthony Fauci said that Fox News Jesse Watters should be “fired on the spot” after he used violent metaphorical terms to describe how President Joe Biden’s chief medical adviser could be confronted in public.

Watters spoke on Monday night to Turning Point USA, the right-wing pro-Trump youth group, and was describing how people could “ambush” Fauci with a camera to ask him questions, something that could elicit a “kill shot,” a term for an ultimate clip that will be played over and over again.

Fauci has been subjected to death threats throughout the pandemic, and was forced to beef up personal protection and travel with a security detail.

He responded to Watters’ clip on CNN’s New Day on Tuesday.

“That is horrible. That is such a reflection of the craziness that goes on in society,” Fauci told host John Berman. “The only thing that I have ever done throughout these two years is to encourage people to practice good public health practices, to get vaccinated, to be careful in public settings, to wear a mask, and for that, you have some guy out there saying that people should be giving me a ‘kill shot,’ to ‘ambush me.’ I mean, what kind of craziness is there in society these days. That’s awful that he said that, and he is going to go very likely unaccountable. I mean, whatever network he is on is not going to do anything [with] him. I mean, that’s crazy. The guy should be fired on the spot.”

Watters, who is a Fox News host and one of the panelists on one of its top shows The Five, told the crowd that “it is time for us to go on offense” and that he was going to “deputize all of you guys to be little James O’Keefes,” a reference to the conservative activist who specializes in hidden camera videos of media and left-leaning political figures.

“You got to ambush a guy like Fauci. This is how you do these ambushes like O’Keefe. You got to be respectful, because they will turn the tables and on you can you can’t let it blow up in your face. If you see Fauci out and about and you know he’s coming to town, this is how you approach. First you identify yourself …do you mind Dr. Fauci if I ask you a few questions? He’s going to say, ‘No,’ but you were polite. So if he says ‘No. No. No. We’re going to address this right now.’ That is how you turn the tables and you start with an aggressive posture. Then you hit him with the first question. The first question can’t be a yes or no question because his answer can just be a yes or a no. You have to elicit. It has to be a how or a why.”

Watters then went on to explain how they should pose questions and present documents to him. His point was that, confronted with documents, Fauci would be “in trouble” because “you have to goods.”

“Now you are going for the kill shot. The kill shot with an ambush? Deadly. Because he doesn’t see it coming. This is when you say, ‘Dr. Fauci, you funded risky research at a sloppy Chinese lab. The same lab that sprung this pandemic on the world. You know why people don’t trust you, don’t you?’ Boom! He is dead. He is dead. He is done. You do that, in 30 seconds, it is all you need.”

He went on to say that they could then “get that footage to Fox. You get it to human events. You get it to Breitbart. You get it to the Daily Caller. You get it to the Turning Point pipeline. Imagine Tucker Carlson teases out of the A block. ‘Coming up: Brave college student confronts Lord Fauci at dinner. Exclusive footage. Right back.’ Get us that. That is what we want. That changes the whole conversation of the country. I have authorized it. Just make sure it is legal.”

A Fox News spokesperson declined to comment.

The full clip — here — starts at 2:24 and ends around 2:28.

Earlier this month, Lara Logan, a host for Fox Nation, appeared on Fox News Primetime and compared Fauci to Josef Mengele, the Nazi doctor who performed cruel medical experiments on Jewish prisoners. Her comments drew condemnation from the Anti Defamation League and other Jewish groups, and Fauci told MSNBC that her comments were “unconscionable.”

He told Chris Hayes that “what I found striking … is how she gets no discipline whatsoever from the Fox network. How they can let her say that with no comment and no disciplinary action? I’m astounded by that.”

image.png

Edited by gurn
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Clearly the local government doesn't look at stats from South Africa (this article echoes the facts presented in other epicenters e.g. England)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-17/s-africa-says-hospitalizations-in-omicron-wave-much-lower

Now I'm not saying that if it's necessary don't lock down, but it doesn't make sense to NOW when gov't won't administer testings and permits closing of vaccination clinics, plus they tell people to recover at home instead of getting checked (and the South African article stated that there's far fewer people needing oxygen and 91% fewer deaths).  If you think about it, all this indicates (along with the statistical data presented in the article) that this variant is not as SEVERE (not saying it's not transmissible because it certainly is) and ultimately there is fearmongering.  Note also that as of yesterday's local reporting, while there's 2.5k cases, there were 3 "Covid deaths", likely being that not all of them were Omicron.   

We did this a few pages back

A study, one of the most comprehensive to date (as of this time) says there is NO evidence it is less severe or milder or leads to less hospitalizations/long term health issues.

Again, important to note it is preliminary and not peer reviewed but is the most comprehensive to date.  I think it will be another month before the cards totally shake out.  SA has a far healthier and younger population than people in teh UK/Canada/USA etc with far less people carrying already existing health issues.

SA ALSO has an issue in that an estimated 6 out of 7 cases goes unreported and due to stigmas people who actually do die don't often get brought to hospital or put in to a case log either.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/12/18/no-evidence-omicron-milder-than-delta-british-researchers-say

British researchers say they have found “no evidence” that the Omicron coronavirus variant is milder than Delta, casting doubt on the cautious optimism of some experts that the new strain may not be as virulent and not overwhelm healthcare systems.

The study by Imperial College London (ICL) on Friday – released just as British officials reported record COVID-19 cases for the third consecutive day, with a rise to 93,045 new infections – also found that the risk of reinfection with Omicron is more than five times higher than Delta.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/tv/news/anthony-fauci-says-fox-news-jesse-watters-should-be-fired-on-the-spot-for-kill-shot-rhetoric/ar-AAS1s7i?ocid=msedgntp

Anthony Fauci said that Fox News Jesse Watters should be “fired on the spot” after he used violent metaphorical terms to describe how President Joe Biden’s chief medical adviser could be confronted in public.

Watters spoke on Monday night to Turning Point USA, the right-wing pro-Trump youth group, and was describing how people could “ambush” Fauci with a camera to ask him questions, something that could elicit a “kill shot,” a term for an ultimate clip that will be played over and over again.

Fauci has been subjected to death threats throughout the pandemic, and was forced to beef up personal protection and travel with a security detail.

“That is horrible. That is such a reflection of the craziness that goes on in society,” Fauci told host John Berman. “The only thing that I have ever done throughout these two years is to encourage people to practice good public health practices, to get vaccinated, to be careful in public settings, to wear a mask, and for that, you have some guy out there saying that people should be giving me a ‘kill shot,’ to ‘ambush me.’ I mean, what kind of craziness is there in society these days. That’s awful that he said that, and he is going to go very likely unaccountable. I mean, whatever network he is on is not going to do anything [with] him. I mean, that’s crazy. The guy should be fired on the spot.”

Watters, who is a Fox News host and one of the panelists on one of its top shows The Five, told the crowd that “it is time for us to go on offense” and that he was going to “deputize all of you guys to be little James O’Keefes,” a reference to the conservative activist who specializes in hidden camera videos of media and left-leaning political figures.

“You got to ambush a guy like Fauci. This is how you do these ambushes like O’Keefe. You got to be respectful, because they will turn the tables and on you can you can’t let it blow up in your face. If you see Fauci out and about and you know he’s coming to town, this is how you approach. First you identify yourself …do you mind Dr. Fauci if I ask you a few questions? He’s going to say, ‘No,’ but you were polite. So if he says ‘No. No. No. We’re going to address this right now.’ That is how you turn the tables and you start with an aggressive posture. Then you hit him with the first question. The first question can’t be a yes or no question because his answer can just be a yes or a no. You have to elicit. It has to be a how or a why.”

Watters then went on to explain how they should pose questions and present documents to him. His point was that, confronted with documents, Fauci would be “in trouble” because “you have to goods.”

“Now you are going for the kill shot. The kill shot with an ambush? Deadly. Because he doesn’t see it coming. This is when you say, ‘Dr. Fauci, you funded risky research at a sloppy Chinese lab. The same lab that sprung this pandemic on the world. You know why people don’t trust you, don’t you?’ Boom! He is dead. He is dead. He is done. You do that, in 30 seconds, it is all you need.”

He went on to say that they could then “get that footage to Fox. You get it to human events. You get it to Breitbart. You get it to the Daily Caller. You get it to the Turning Point pipeline. Imagine Tucker Carlson teases out of the A block. ‘Coming up: Brave college student confronts Lord Fauci at dinner. Exclusive footage. Right back.’ Get us that. That is what we want. That changes the whole conversation of the country. I have authorized it. Just make sure it is legal.”

Earlier this month, Lara Logan, a host for Fox Nation, appeared on Fox News Primetime and compared Fauci to Josef Mengele, the Nazi doctor who performed cruel medical experiments on Jewish prisoners. Her comments drew condemnation from the Anti Defamation League and other Jewish groups, and Fauci told MSNBC that her comments were “unconscionable.”

He told Chris Hayes that “what I found striking … is how she gets no discipline whatsoever from the Fox network. How they can let her say that with no comment and no disciplinary action? I’m astounded by that.”

image.png

people who are drawn into thinking guys like Fauci are doing something wrong need to really consider what going down that rabbit hole means. 

What qualified, intelligent person is going to want to take over from him? whats that going to mean for the next pandemic?

The anti-vaxxers are leading the US down a path of real danger. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, gurn said:

image.png

CNN fires multiple people for not doing their jobs right or for misleading a story.  They are villified

FOX has these talking idiots continuing to perpetuate an oft debunked story now using terms like ambush, kill, deadly in terms of jumping out at a near 80 year old man who is literally just telling people ot wash their hands, wear a mask and keep some distance and they're given a raise

These are not the same media

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3

37 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We did this a few pages back

A study, one of the most comprehensive to date (as of this time) says there is NO evidence it is less severe or milder or leads to less hospitalizations/long term health issues.

Again, important to note it is preliminary and not peer reviewed but is the most comprehensive to date.  I think it will be another month before the cards totally shake out.  SA has a far healthier and younger population than people in teh UK/Canada/USA etc with far less people carrying already existing health issues.

SA ALSO has an issue in that an estimated 6 out of 7 cases goes unreported and due to stigmas people who actually do die don't often get brought to hospital or put in to a case log either.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/12/18/no-evidence-omicron-milder-than-delta-british-researchers-say

British researchers say they have found “no evidence” that the Omicron coronavirus variant is milder than Delta, casting doubt on the cautious optimism of some experts that the new strain may not be as virulent and not overwhelm healthcare systems.

The study by Imperial College London (ICL) on Friday – released just as British officials reported record COVID-19 cases for the third consecutive day, with a rise to 93,045 new infections – also found that the risk of reinfection with Omicron is more than five times higher than Delta.

No evidence? That sounds pretty silly. SA was hit hard by previous waves - if the young and healthy thing was true then previous waves would reflect it.

There is data available that provides at least some evidence: https://boriquagato.substack.com/p/omincron-in-denmark-looking-exceedingly

This would be very good news, indeed. Let’s hope it keeps going in this direction.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

image.png

No different than the crazies harassing MLA's and health officials here in BC. What a crazy world this is becoming.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

I really hope that with the restrictions coming today that they will also reconsider having vaccine clinics closed for the holidays. I find it very paradoxical to say “go get your booster” while saying sorry we are closed for the holidays. It’s mixed messaging like this that causes people to lose the room. If Ontario and other provincial clinics are open through the holidays why can’t BC? 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/british-columbia-vaccine-clinics-closing-omicron-1.6289243

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Vintage 1