The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Just now, BPA said:

I know in my kids (elementary) school, pretty much all the kids wear their masks all the time (in class, lunch, recess, etc).  Maybe not gym.  Not sure.

it's not all the time here, it's mostly without masks in the their classrooms, but everywhere else is masked..........as much as we can anyway.  It's tougher to get the younger students to wear them.  We do have a small percentage of kids who say they're not wearing them because their parents don't believe the virus is a "thing" and their parents say they don't have to wear them.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I hope so. Most people seem to be following guidelines over here but there's a good few not. Particularly towards Duncan from what I've seen.

Likewise

I can't help but feel many have been lulled into a false sense of security, though I'm sure many simply just don't care enough to take things seriously 

• Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, wloutet said:

I'm in Duncan, and it is generally face masks on in public. But that definitely is not 100%. It would be nice to know how the Island Health region is broken down. I don't think they are specific enough about where outbreaks are happening. The outbreaks in Nanaimo have been specific, so maybe there is a trend to more openness.

A couple days old but:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cheknews.ca/bc-covid-19-nov-10-717436/%3famp

"

Island Health 

There are 41 active cases in Island Health: 20 on southern Vancouver Island, 12 on central Vancouver Island and nine on northern Vancouver Island.

Island Health has now had a total of 308 cases since the start of the pandemic. There are no COVID-19 hospitalizations in the health region as of Nov. 10 and 261 people have recovered.

Southern Vancouver Island includes the Greater Victoria region, Southern Gulf Islands and the Port Renfrew area.

Central Vancouver Island includes the Cowichan Valley, Duncan, Nanaimo, Parksville, Port Alberni and Tofino areas.

Northern Vancouver Island goes from the Comox Valley to Port Hardy but also includes surrounding areas like Alert Bay and Sointula."

• Thanks 1

The first cruise ship to sail on a voyage in the Caribbean has reported 5 COVID-19 cases

Thu 12 Nov 2020 21:56:19 GMT

SeaDream 1 is the first to set sail on a cruise since the industry was halted due to the pandemic.

Its not going well. 

You may recall when this whole pandemic kicked off earlier this the Diamond Princess in Japan, moored in Yokohama Port while authorities figured out what to do as cases on board soared. In March the Ruby Princess arrived after a shortened cruise back in Sydney with multiple cases. 2,700 passengers were allowed to disembark on the morning it arrived, passengers heading to their homes right across Australia. If memory serves more than 500 cases were identified amongst those who had been on board. 

Similar events were reported from around the globe and the cruise industry went into hibernation. 

SeaDream 1 is the first to set sail on a cruise since the industry was halted due to the pandemic.

COVID-19: Quebec considering closing schools for short period, Legault says

The premier said the situation in schools is "deteriorating," noting more than 300 classes were forced to close because of COVID-19 outbreaks in the last two days alone.

Legault made the comments at Thursday’s COVID-19 news conference as the province reported 1,365 new cases and an additional 42 deaths.

Schools are “a place of transmission,” Legault said. But he said there is no evidence ventilation was the cause of any of the outbreaks in Quebec schools.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/covid-19-quebec-considering-closing-schools-for-short-period-legault-says

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/coronavirus-live-updates-made-in-quebec-vaccine-moves-to-phase-2-trial

Edited by kingofsurrey

Ontario could see 6,500 daily new cases of COVID-19 by mid-December if no further action is taken to curb the fast-rising curve, new modelling shows. 

New projections by Ontario's science advisory table show the pandemic is worsening across the province overall, with long-term care residents' deaths increasing each week — and case numbers likely exceeding European cities that are currently in some form of lockdown, if case counts grow by five per cent.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-covid-19-coronavirus-modelling-1.5799394

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

New cases:

Tuesday-Wednesday:  536

Wednesday-Thursday - 594

5,793 active cases

155 in hospital

44 in ICU

4 new deaths

Not that good at math.. is that 11 % gain over the previous day... YIKES >>>>>>

Hopefully soon Dr. B starts to support mandatory masks in highschools.....   like the rest of the world. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

2 minutes ago, st33 said:

Not looking good, lockdown Christmas is near.

Thanks, party goers. Hope you had a good night you bunch of twits.

Just listened to Dr. Henry today.  Don't get me wrong, I have lots of respect for her but she is still very passive in her messaging.  Telling us politely to step back.  Not willing to lay blame and saying its not our fault etc... Talk needs to get tougher.  Its obvious that there is a certain segment of the population that is either not getting the message or who don't give a damn unless it hits them hard in the pocketbook.  Just today, I was picking up my take out order from Basil box.  Despite the recommendations for wearing masks, in walks someone without wearing a mask, starts ordering and then moves within a foot away from me talking away.  I quickly shuffle away and give him a dirty look.  If you don't want to wear a mask, at least have the courtesy to social distance.  Next time I won't be so understanding.  

• Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If you're concerned that a potential new lockdown will significantly impact your social life.

Maybe just maybe your social life is the reason we're looking at a new lockdown.

Again.  This is NOT on the government.  This is 100% on the people.

Yep...they've given every opportunity to be adults and get this thing done.

Sadly, some people's social lives are more important than actual lives in their selfish view.  They're pathetic.  We're ALL fed up with isolating and sacrificing ... but to bail has consequences that others have to face.  I'm tired of being kind...I'm actually bordering on obnoxious when I run into one of these clowns who feels it's all a hoax.  Because my family's well being is on the line...I don't take that lightly.  Invincible super heroes....unless they can fly they're the damn hoax.   Put on a mask, quit spewing all over everyone, shut down your lame ass drunk people standing around looking stupid parties and get with the program.

/rant (for now anyhow)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Just listened to Dr. Henry today.  Don't get me wrong, I have lots of respect for her but she is still very passive in her messaging.  Telling us politely to step back.  Not willing to lay blame and saying its not our fault etc... Talk needs to get tougher.  Its obvious that there is a certain segment of the population that is either not getting the message or who don't give a damn unless it hits them hard in the pocketbook.  Just today, I was picking up my take out order from Basil box.  Despite the recommendations for wearing masks, in walks someone without wearing a mask, starts ordering and then moves within a foot away from me talking away.  I quickly shuffle away and give him a dirty look.  If you don't want to wear a mask, at least have the courtesy to social distance.  Next time I won't be so understanding.  

There's so many of them out there.  They think they look cool/tough.  They really just look ignorant and uneducated.

• Cheers 4