The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

13 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Isn't that what we just had? Isn't that why we are quarantining? Then the flu season ends and it can't live as long in warm dry conditions.

No one knows that. There is Covid in hot countries all over South America, Africa, the Caribbean and Australia. 

The combined flu and Covid-19 stress on our hospitals might be unbelievably tragic.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

It too is a virus. One that flourishes at this time of year, much like the coronavirus and all other viruses.

To estimate how easily a virus spreads, scientists calculate its "basic reproduction number," or R0 (pronounced R-nought). R0 predicts the number of people who can catch a given bug from a single infected person, Live Science previously reported. Currently, the R0 for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes the disease COVID-19, is estimated at about 2.2, meaning a single infected person will infect about 2.2 others, on average. By comparison, the flu has an R0 of 1.3. 

Perhaps, most importantly, while no vaccine exists to prevent COVID-19, the seasonal flu vaccine prevents influenza relatively well, even when its formulation doesn't perfectly match the circulating viral strains.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-myths.html

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

Also Benito "il Duce" Fauci's word isn't omnipotent. He merely suggested they cancel. Still another month to see what the #s do, i think they'll come down with the flu season ending.

Good luck with that. No sign of it yet. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Well *if* you were living in Alberta & feel comfortable eating in a restaurant in two weeks; all the power to you.  Better to wait two more weeks than needed vs two weeks early from my POV.  I will say, at least they aren't Texas:

Surprise....GOP state.

Texas is 29 million.  I would ask about this basic data.  Is what is the overall infection rate.  So of those 1033 how many overall were tested.  My other question would be how many of those were in care facilities and so forth.   And how much has testing increased since April 10th.  And were these actual tests performed and reported on that day.  Lastly what have the numbers looked like each day in between the dates.   1000 is not some magic benchmark.  PS i just found a graph for texas. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 9.47.37.png

Edited by samurai

6 minutes ago, samurai said:

Texas is 29 million.  I would ask about this basic data.  Is what is the overall infection rate.  So of those 1033 how many overall were tested.  My other question would be how many of those were in care facilities and so forth.   And how much has testing increased since April 10th.  And were these actual tests performed and reported on that day.  Lastly what have the numbers looked like each day in between the dates.   1000 is not some magic benchmark.  PS i just found a graph for texas. 

Do you have parents / grandparents in their 80's with underlying medical conditions ?  Just curious .....

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Do you have parents / grandparents in their 80's with underlying medical conditions ?  Just curious .....

How does asking common sense questions about a number posted on Twitter which is not properly contextualized have anything to do with family?   Please explain.

16 minutes ago, samurai said:

How does asking common sense questions about a number posted on Twitter which is not properly contextualized have anything to do with family?   Please explain.

Is answering questions with questions the best way to maintain your magical disguise?

Do you suppose I recently watched the Disney flick titled Onward?

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Is answering questions with questions the best way to maintain your magical disguise?

Do you suppose I recently watched the Disney flick titled Onward?

Answering with questions is how you usually go about getting clarification on something.  It is a good skill to have.  And is especially important when the other person doesn't make much sense.  

1 hour ago, samurai said:

Texas is 29 million.  I would ask about this basic data.  Is what is the overall infection rate.  So of those 1033 how many overall were tested.  

A week ago but:

"but we also know that Texas ranks among the worst states in the nation in per-capita testing".

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/what-to-know-about-coronavirus-in-texas/

Texas does have the advantage I *think* of having a younger median population.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

A week ago but:

"but we also know that Texas ranks among the worst states in the nation in per-capita testing".

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/what-to-know-about-coronavirus-in-texas/

i think it goes without saying that the amount of infections is far beyond what has been tested even in areas with more testing than Texas - the highest I have seen 85 times higher than the number of people tested and shown to be infected (4 something % infected) .  Between the 2 dates given the over 1000 mark is not significant at the moment.  But say over the next week or so if it keeps going up then they need to ask more serious questions.  Again for me is what is the infection rate and how stable it is.  Without testing you cannot get an accurate understanding of it though.  Many places seem to prefer managing the virus without proper data.