The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

31 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Finally caught up! Fwew!

I thought for a moment CDC was going to crash.........I got thrown off 5 or 6 times with in 5 minutes

Hey thanks Deb and Vintage

Observations from a small sample size.......

- Virtanen seemed more mature on and off the ice....more ready!

- Pettie has not changed....still as blunt as hell! LOL (Love it!)

- Rathbone is quick

- Players are pretty excited...they have had the taste and want more

- Hoglander is a confident young man, with some serious skills

- A real team feel to welcome the new guys ( like that)

- Deb should really get a job with the Canucks front office....I mean, really!

I can't wait until tomorrow!

Front Office?...

GM Deb

woohhooot

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Why dyu say that?

Not cheering for them, just curious.

I think what it comes down to is that their best players aren't their best players when it matters most, probably other than Tkachuk.

I do think Marky will be good, but I think he'll get quite peppered by teams who have more of that "rise to the occasion" mindset. This is going to be VERY resemblent of playoff hockey, and I think it's going to be the teams wired right that have the best chance of succeeding. However, if Geoff Ward does a good job of getting his team to play every night, then I'll be wrong and they'll finish ahead of teams like the Jets and Oilers. It might just be me, but I think the Jets are criminally underrated. I think they would have finished final-4 last playoffs had they been healthy. The Habs are another one of those teams that has that pact mentality and that I think will rise up to the occasion. 

My standings predictions:

Canucks

Canadiens

Jets

Leafs

Oilers

Flames

Sens

It's going to be a strange but exciting season. Injuries and probably COVID will all factor in.

And hey, maybe I'm vastly overrating teams like the Habs and Jets, but that's what I'm going with. The Canucks are finishing #1 though. Book it.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I think what it comes down to is that their best players aren't their best players when it matters most, probably other than Tkachuk.

I do think Marky will be good, but I think he'll get quite peppered by teams who have more of that "rise to the occasion" mindset. This is going to be VERY resemblent of playoff hockey, and I think it's going to be the teams wired right that have the best chance of succeeding. However, if Geoff Ward does a good job of getting his team to play every night, then I'll be wrong and they'll finish ahead of teams like the Jets and Oilers. It might just be me, but I think the Jets are criminally underrated. I think they would have finished final-4 last playoffs had they been healthy. The Habs are another one of those teams that has that pact mentality and that I think will rise up to the occasion. 

My standings predictions:

Canucks

Canadiens

Jets

Leafs

Oilers

Flames

Sens

It's going to be a strange but exciting season. Injuries and probably COVID will all factor in.

And hey, maybe I'm vastly overrating teams like the Habs and Jets, but that's what I'm going with. The Canucks are finishing #1 though. Book it.

Man if the leafs somehow miss the playoffs I will be ecstatic 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

CAN. NOT. WAIT.

The real fun starts if some of these guys start making Pearson, Sutter and Benn etc available at the TDL...

Imagine adding solid young players like Podz AND getting assets back for selling :wub:

Indeed. And many teams looking to win and add depth will want guys like those named above. I think Sutter given his contract is up, is a Center and still can play a shutdown role will be wanted. Pearson will draw some interest too but I think we may want to hang onto him for the run, same with Benn as you always need depth (unless we have Try by then). I can see Roussel being moved too. 

Podz couldn't do it himself, but the effort was there. He made smart plays/passes, took a big hit and handled himself, he'll be a beast. Could be an amazing spring if Podz joins the Canucks (later in the season). Any chance Try joins him on the flight over? 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

even though he didnt generate points today he stills plays will tons of heart, motor runs hot and hates losing. Greens kind of guy.

I thought a player couldn’t be named player of the game twice?

Doesnt that make two for him?

28 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Craig Button made a comparison to Chris Kunitz today, and I like the comparison. Winger that excels with elite talent - like Alex Burrows was too. Does all the hardwork/heavy lifting but also smart enough to make plays.

Think about some of the chances he created for his Russian teammates, now think about those opportunities being created for Pettersson or Boeser. Pretty good thought. 

Very good comparison. Didn’t Kunitz win 4 cups? And was a big part of all em. :)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Craig Button made a comparison to Chris Kunitz today, and I like the comparison. Winger that excels with elite talent - like Alex Burrows was too. Does all the hardwork/heavy lifting but also smart enough to make plays.

Think about some of the chances he created for his Russian teammates, now think about those opportunities being created for Pettersson or Boeser. Pretty good thought. 

1 minute ago, Millsy said:

Very good comparison. Didn’t Kunitz win 4 cups? And was a big part of all em. :)

I made a comparison to Landeskog. Both leaders who work hard and play a 200 foot game and can play with offensive talent.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I made a comparison to Landeskog. Both leaders who work hard and play a 200 foot game and can play with offensive talent.

Another good one. Captain, hard worker, and has offensive ability. That’s probably the best one I’ve seen actually. I suggested a combo of Bo and Burr so that’s basically Landeskog! Lol

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

CAN. NOT. WAIT.

The real fun starts if some of these guys start making Pearson, Sutter and Benn etc available at the TDL...

Imagine adding solid young players like Podz AND getting assets back for selling :wub:

It is exciting but those will likely not be traded unless the Canucks are way out of a playoff position at the TDL, not to mention, Podz can play regular season but will not be eligible for playoffs.