The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Page 136] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN, SN1

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I recorded and just watched that TSN Season Preview they aired last night. Of course they boasted about the Leafs, thinking their off season moves were genius. When it got to the Canucks, the panel really gave them little chance of making the playoffs this season, saying the loss of Markstrom and Tanev are too great. Button even said that Stecher and Schmidt are basically the same player, so not really an upgrade. They gave Hamonic zero credit. I'm not sure why I even bothered to watch, same ignorance from TSN every year. 

I thought Button was smarter than that. TSN is rife with morons. 

Toronto added a bunch of has beens. TJ Brodie? Joe Thornton? Please. Screw Toronto. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

The Canucks will definitely surprise a lot of pundits this year IF our forwards can hang.   A lot of this will depend on how much guys like Gaudette, Virtanen, MacEwen, and Hoglander have grown (or surprise).

On the backend, our defense is way better than last season.  I feel like many hockey pundits are really underrating us in this regard.   Schmidt is legitimately one of the best dmen in the league and Hughes is up there as well.  

In net, I don’t think Demko is that far off from Markstrom if the playoffs were of any indication.   Furthermore, we now have two legit goalies that can start on any given night which will allow both goalies to be well rested.  By contrast, Markstrom had been under fire and overworked for the two seasons prior.   

The key to this season will be as follows:   IF Virtanen, Gaudette, MacEwen, and Hoglander are for real, then this Canucks team is going to shock hockey pundits for a second time in a row.

I agree with pretty much all of this.  The defence is definitely better than last year and I would easily say above average league wide. Goaltending could be debated until we see what Clarke can do with Holtby and how Demko handles more starts. 

One comment to add is how the changes to D can effect both goalies and forwards. In our own end, less chances and fewer odd man breaks (likely scenarios given a better defence) puts less pressure on goalies to steal games. Our forwards can look to receive good outlet passes, quality zone exits and entrances become possible when you have a mobile defence. We don’t have to match up skill for skill with the big 4 in Toronto when we can $&!# them down with our second and third lines, then light them up with Petey, Brock and JT (Virtanen tonight). This is a team sport and a good chunk of our weakness has been improved. Just think how many goalies the Canucks have made look like all stars over the years. 

26 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

The last 2 seasons Edler has average over a .5ppg pace while playing top minutes and the top PK unit. He was +16 on a team that was not great 5\5 and had the most points even strength out of our Dcore.

He was are best D all around regular and post season. Tell me a team he's not a top 4?

You prefering Raff is great but ill take the coaches decision the guys who are paid to win and do this for a living.

Joulevi was head and shoulders better than any other rookie D that's why he's on the team. Playing it safe? Really? Joulevi has always been a great puck mover even in Utica, his stretch pass is outstanding, his skating was off but not anymore, I think he will surprise you.

Appreciate the effort, that take was to hot :blink: for me to even bother! :lol:

A little iffy about the 4th line:

MOTTE - BEAGLE - SUTTER

I was actually hoping Motte would get a bit of a promotion to the 3rd line this year. Beagle and Sutter are veterans, but are they fast and physical enough? The bottom 6 wasn't very good in the playoffs and this still needs to be fixed IMO. An improvement with Loui eating popcorn in the rafters, anyway.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

I don't care where the so called experts have us ranked. I know in my mind that we did not regress. This is the best lineup we have had since the 11-12 season imo. Everyone thinks we blew it by not re-signing Marky, Tanev and Toffoli. Marky would have handcuffed us in the future and we would have lost Demko for nothing to Seattle. Tanev was a warrior but injury prone and a complete dud in the offensive zone. Toffoli put up a point per game in his short stint with us but bear in mind we lost 6 of the last 10 games of the reg season with him in the lineup. So the loss of Toffoli isn't as large as those meatheads make it out to be. Makes me laugh when they forget that we have 2 of the most exciting young players in the game that are getting better not worse. And to rank MTL to finish ahead of everone except TOR is comedic. Yes defense wins championships, but having strong players up the middle is just as important. Suzuki and Danault are probably the worst one two punch in the north div.

Only real stinger this off season is losing Toffoli. I agree with your take on Markstrom and Tanev, it is a mistake to give those guys their current contracts given the team's direction going forward. However, losing Toffoli is a direct result of JB mis-managing the cap in previous free agency. What's done is done, we can't duel on the past. We hope Hoglander can step in and provide the offense that we needed.

Also, losing JT to quarantine hurts. If he really has to sit for 2 weeks, we will be without argubly our best forward for 1/7 of the season when we are only playing against Divisional match-ups. This is a huge blow.

Game Day! Woooooo!

Well, screw TSN

Games are played to determine the outcomes

I love our Roster and as it gets younger, it gets even more talented

I am not saying we will be the top team in our Conference, but we have a competitive team

And have a real chance to win and be in the playoffs

Let the Games begin!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

who? what? we had Toffoli? Never noticed.

but seriously, he only played 17 games as a Canuck, including playoffs. He was never really here. 

I get that narrative, but you can't deny that adding an other proven goal scoring winger to the top 6 doesn't booster the team's offense. I would much rather have Toffoli than any one of Beagle, Roussel and Sutter if you ask me.

• Like 1

Matthew Sekeres: “My understanding is that due to COVID-19 concerns, D Jordie Benn and F JT Miller will not be with the #Canucks for a couple of weeks. Both players are quarantining. Miller had been staying at Benn’s Vancouver residence”

out for a couple of weeks  - holy $&!# - / Question: Why isn't it possible to vaccinate NHL players first and then other people?

1 minute ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Matthew Sekeres: “My understanding is that due to COVID-19 concerns, D Jordie Benn and F JT Miller will not be with the #Canucks for a couple of weeks. Both players are quarantining. Miller had been staying at Benn’s Vancouver residence”

out for a couple of weeks  - holy $&!# - / Question: Why isn't it possible to vaccinate NHL players first and then other people?

I thought the NHL was going to purchase vaccines privately for the players? This was nearly a month ago now and haven't heard anything about it since though..