The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators | January 28 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd not re-sign Benn, expose Myers and snag a D from a team set to lose one in the ED in exchange for Virtanen.

Expose and likely lose one of Myers/Holtby.

Might have Tryamkin back to replace Myers if he were claimed too, provide a similar role for half the price 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Rick_theRyper said:

Might have Tryamkin back to replace Myers if he were claimed too, provide a similar role for half the price 

To be fair, the only thing Tryamkin likely replaces of Myers', is his size and reach.

They're not the same level of player.

But if our right side depth is something like Schmidt, new guy we trade for, Tryamkin, Chatfield, Rafferty, Woo etc... I'm not losing any sleep either. Even better, we keep him and have Schmidt, new guy, Myers, Tryamkin, Chatfield etc

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

Folks like to accuse me of being biased for Virtanen but I have ZERO problem with Green making him sit when he plays poorly. He often responds well after sitting for a game or two.

Have no idea why people think trading him for nothing is a great idea. I don't think he is a top 6 player right now but as a bottom 6 he adds a dimension that few of our other options do. It's not like we are overpaying him.

I wouldn't assume he is sittting - it's been assumed before already once this year and it did not turn out to be the case.

And - there are some good young players this year who have sat - Gaudette, MacEwen....so 'platooning' the young 'bottom 6' is reasonable enough imo.

Personally I'd move - or sit - Roussel before Virtanen - but in fairness to Roussel, he has relatively woken up of late (ie he had 7 hits through 6 games - and 13 in the last 3....if Roussel is not physical, hard on the forecheck in particular,  and working hard every shift, he doesn't belong in this lineup imo).

Besides, Virtanen 'needs' a resident homer in here in his corner - otherwise these boards are saturated with nothing but complaining about him (most of it weak one-liners that are horrible, one-dimensional assessments) - you break it up and add some entertainment value.

Edited by oldnews

5 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I’m 39 years old and have argued with you for several weeks on the Luongo trade rumour thread. Like I said before, you’re the Ben Shapiro of CDC. 

and you're the Tucker Carlson (to Benning/Biden)

see how easy that political drivel is.

I don't care how old you are - if you believe Juolevi can handle hard minutes or back to back games better than Edler can at this stage - then most words will be a waste of time wadr.

11 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Is Tryamkin really going to come back? I haven’t heard anything in a long time about a potential return. I think he’s content in Russia 

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes we could save some cash and get Guddy back for four...i'm sure Del Zotto will be looking for a job too.   Take a look at who's available as a UFA this summer and tell me who's better who's left (Hamilton hell yeah but CAR is signing him)....

Well since you are keen to go down the path of ridiculous, I'll suggest that we just add another Schmidt level D for only a 3rd round pick. 

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

and you're the Tucker Carlson (to Benning/Biden)

see how easy that political drivel is.

I don't care how old you are - if you believe Juolevi can handle hard minutes or back to back games better than Edler can at this stage - then most words will be a waste of time wadr.

He isn’t 18 or 19 or even 21. He is a fully “physically” mature professional athlete in the prime of his life. Don’t you remember how awesome it “physically” felt to be 22? I’m saying he is just as, if not more “physically” able to handle a workload “physically” (like his body). Not mentally or emotionally but structurally and of course “physically”

26 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Edler always throws good hits - but he's never made anyone fear standing in front of our goaltender.

Benn the mean machine....I wish.  He's capable - but Myers equalled the sum of all Benn's 'mean' here in one tilt with Montreal.

Despite this Edler and Myers are the only regulars we have at the moment that can clear a net.    Murzyn would have been blasted so bad had the CDC existed back then, but he did his job infront of the net well, and supported Lumme too.   Mitchell is the last D we've had that could play the defensive defenseman well, hoping Edler can focus more on that as he gets older. 

38 minutes ago, oldnews said:

that wasn't the argument - it's your misrepresntative one-liner paraphrase, as if you read the first line only. 

the rest is a straw waste of time (I have argued precisely the opposite of players like Hutton - whose minutes on a M.A.S.H. bottomfeeder were very misrepresentative - and called it beforehand that he'd get nothing resembling the contract people in here were projecting based on one reductive indicator).

Sure. That was a bottom feeder.

What about last playoffs when Myers was used on the bottom pairing? That’s a playoff team yet he wasn’t trusted over Tanev and Stecher to play with Edler or Hughes.

I just think the he played a lot of minutes argument is a flawed one.

Myers was user on the bottom pairing in peg for years as well. On a playoff team.

You chose a very small regular season sample size where Myers minutes are inflated by them trying him with Hughes and games where our D got injured so he had to play a ton. And we were 2-5 up until playing the AHL senators.

32 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I guess you missed the punch to Tkachuk's ugly mug.   Best two minutes anyone on this team has spent in the box all season.

Otherwise he gets a lot of "too much/too big a man" soft calls.  And as I pointed out in another GDT - 23 of his 25  penalty minutes have come in 2 games - one of those was a 5 minute major the NHL rescinded after the fact....otherwise he has one minor in 8 games.

This blueline needs some mean on it - and he's the primary guy.

Fine the Tkachuk punch was worth it.  Fair point.

I don't disagree that he leads the league in soft calls either, especially against Minnesota.

Again, I've never said that Myers doesn't have his assets, he certainly does.  He also comes with a fair amount of flaws as well, you seem to ignore those.  He is fine, although overpaid by a bit.  Let's say that hopefully we are legit contenders in 2-3 years, is Myers a guy you want playing 22-25 mins per night?  My answer would be a firm no, which is why I would be OK with him getting claimed.  

3 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Sure. That was a bottom feeder.

What about last playoffs when Myers was used on the bottom pairing? That’s a playoff team yet he wasn’t trusted over Tanev and Stecher to play with Edler or Hughes.

I just think the he played a lot of minutes argument is a flawed one.

Myers was user on the bottom pairing in peg for years as well. On a playoff team.

You chose a very small regular season sample size where Myers minutes are inflated by them trying him with Hughes and games where our D got injured so he had to play a ton. And we were 2-5 up until playing the AHL senators.

Nonsense.   Meaningless claim again.

Stecher/Fantenburg/Benn were the 3rd pairing D last year.  Because you can pick out a moment where a coach remixes his pairings is relatively meaningless.

Myers has played with Juolevi a lot this year - doesn't make Myers a '3rd pairing D.'

The bottom pairing claim about Myers in Winnipeg is also just plain false.

21:40 of ice time there over 5 years - and never under 20 - is ludicrous to refer to as '3rd pairing' - and even moreso when you look more closely at the context.

The embarassment of riches the Jets had at RHD with Byfuglien, Myers and Trouba - absolutely in stark contrast to the horrible comparables of Del Zotto or Hutton in inury replacement coupled with rething minutes here.  No comparison whatsoever - and the fact that Myers commanded those minutes on a team that was easily one of, if not the deepest at RHD - undermines, doesn't make, your case.

• Vintage 1