The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Ottawa Senators | January 28 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

8 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Fine the Tkachuk punch was worth it.  Fair point.

I don't disagree that he leads the league in soft calls either, especially against Minnesota.

Again, I've never said that Myers doesn't have his assets, he certainly does.  He also comes with a fair amount of flaws as well, you seem to ignore those.  He is fine, although overpaid by a bit.  Let's say that hopefully we are legit contenders in 2-3 years, is Myers a guy you want playing 22-25 mins per night?  My answer would be a firm no, which is why I would be OK with him getting claimed.  

I'm not ignoring Myers faults - it's not my job to come here and make a point of them.  Every player has their limits - pointing them out doesn't negate their strengths - or what puts them in the position they are in.  Hughes has plenty of faults - doesn't change the fact he's a highly talented "top 4" pmd.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm not ignoring Myers faults - it's not my job to come here and make a point of them.  Every player has their limits - pointing them out doesn't negate their strengths - or what puts them in the position they are in.  Hughes has plenty of faults - doesn't change the fact he's a highly talented "top 4" pmd.

No, its not your job to point out his faults, but when you come in with the hard line stance that you did, you need to at least be ready to acknowledge them.  Coming in with the argument that it's either Myers or Gudbranson/De Zotto is ridiculous and you know that.  If Myers gets claimed, and we have that 6 mill to play with, we have options as we get a slight reprieve from our cap crunch this offseason and many teams go into cap hell again.  

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

No, its not your job to point out his faults, but when you come in with the hard line stance that you did, you need to at least be ready to acknowledge them.  Coming in with the argument that it's either Myers or Gudbranson/De Zotto is ridiculous and you know that.  If Myers gets claimed, and we have that 6 mill to play with, we have options as we get a slight reprieve from our cap crunch this offseason and many teams go into cap hell again.  

what do DelZotto or Gudbranson have to do with this discussion?  You brought them up here - not me - I think you're confusing other posts/posters.

it's not hard line whatsoever - it's a simple, elaborated upon counterpoint to a terrible claim that Myers is a 3rd pairing D - simply factually incorrect on various levels.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, BCNate said:

That was me.   I will own it.   Saying right now, if we expose Myers and lose him we are taking a step back next year.   Could take two to fill the hole.    And if it isn't via free agency then the hole just goes into another part of the lineup. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

what do DelZotto or Gudbranson have to do with this discussion?  You brought them up here - not me - I think you're confusing other posts/posters.

it's not hard line whatsoever - it's a simple, elaborated upon counterpoint to a terrible claim that Myers is a 3rd pairing D - simply factually incorrect on various levels.

My fault, I apologize, got you and another poster mixed up.  I still stand with my opinion we would have options.

I never called him a 3rd pair D, I said he's on the fringes of a top 4/bottom pair.  I don't believe he is a top 4 on a legit contender.

Anyway, enjoy the game tonight.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

That was me.   I will own it.   Saying right now, if we expose Myers and lose him we are taking a step back next year.   Could take two to fill the hole.    And if it isn't via free agency then the hole just goes into another part of the lineup. 

I'll agree to disagree, but don't disregard your opinion.  6mill in this market gives you a ton of options in my eyes.  I don't dislike Myers, but don't think he is the only option out there for us.

Anyway, enjoy the game.

• Cheers 1

Can they sweep the mini series? I think so, and I'm sure the OTT players can't wait to get back home.

I know they just need to TCB tonight, but the Canucks have a hellish road trip coming up. I hope they've got things sorted out for that. Pettersson looks to be almost back to normal, MIller is a grumpy F***. Does the guy ever smile? He scored and looked pi**ed off. lol  Love his competitiveness and how serious he takes winning.  "Bubble Demko" seems to be back as well. Great news. 

Curious as to why Gaudette has been a healthy scratch lately. Green's dog house? Maybe they didn't like that he dropped the gloves with Motte in practice a little while back.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You are correct , at 6'8 it could take 2 to fill his role including a couple of Stecher's?  B)

Seriously , while Myers does run into penalty trouble and his frame can sometimes be his enemy, he can also be a force especially in the playoffs last year when he turned up his mean-o-meter and was our only Dman that had push back against the Vegas and St Louis aggressiveness. This has to be taken into consideration.

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I would like to see Green try a lineup change with Motte and Hoglander moving up

Miller Pettersson Hoglander 

Pearson Horvat Motte 

MacEwan Gaudette Boeser 

Roussel Beagle Sutter 

Jake sits 

Not big on that 3rd line. Motte is a boost to our bottom 6. Helps us even out the lines hence being a more effective team 

3 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

You are correct , at 6'8 it could take 2 to fill his role including a couple of Stecher's?  B)

Seriously , while Myers does run into penalty trouble and his frame can sometimes be his enemy, he can also be a force especially in the playoffs last year when he turned up his mean-o-meter and was our only Dman that had push back against the Vegas and St Louis aggressiveness. This has to be taken into consideration.

He's the only D on the team now that reminds of how every D used to play pre-lockout.   The fact he's 6'8" makes it better, not worse.   Tyler Minors deserved half his penalties, the further we went, the less they'd get called.   Some weak calls every game on both sides.   His edge is something we need - and folks that keep bringing up Tryamkin - what did he ever accomplish as an 18 year old on this league?  Yes i'd like to have him back and see what it is he can do at the NHL level (it is a lot different then the NHL right!), but he's not doing the same thing at half the price.   

Edited by IBatch

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Can they sweep the mini series? I think so, and I'm sure the OTT players can't wait to get back home.

I know they just need to TCB tonight, but the Canucks have a hellish road trip coming up. I hope they've got things sorted out for that. Pettersson looks to be almost back to normal, MIller is a grumpy F***. Does the guy ever smile? He scored and looked pi**ed off. lol  Love his competitiveness and how serious he takes winning.  "Bubble Demko" seems to be back as well. Great news. 

Curious as to why Gaudette has been a healthy scratch lately. Green's dog house? Maybe they didn't like that he dropped the gloves with Motte in practice a little while back.   

I think they (coaching staff) just like Sutter and Beagle at center more, moving Sutter back to center seems to be paying off so far. Although it sounds like (from the practice) that Jake took the longer skate with the extras and Gaudette did not. Possibility of Gaudette drawing back in tonight, maybe as RW on Sutter's line?

1 hour ago, Wayne Jetski said:

I think Myers is a bit under-valued by our fan base. He plays with some snarl, eats a ton of minutes, plays both roles for special teams, and has a good amount of confidence that cascades to the younger core. My two cents- we should keep him. Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

Thank you. He's been awesome for us.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

Just now, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Thank you. He's been awesome for us.

Yes and he has done his job and done it well.   Nobody expects Pronger - but he's doing a good job.   Hope he scores a hat trick tonight and jams it down a certain bean counter element of the CDC's throat.   A bit much maybe... but i still hope he does. 

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

He's the only D on the team now that reminds of how every D used to 

People complain about him getting penalties for clearing the crease.  It's been ages since we've even had a guy who would even make the attempt.  He's been a different player since the bubble, in a good way.