The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

Just now, BarnBurner said:

Not knocking you, but there's some guy named Pastrnak, who was chosen next pick after McCann. Later rounds, there was Point. The reality is, it's hit and miss. We've actually been extremely fortunate the last six years with our drafting. Not perfect, but much better than most. 

Like I told someone else, I only looked at the top 20, as I was making a point about what people thought at the time of the draft.

But if it makes you feel better, grats for being able to google the 2014 draft....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TNucks1 said:

@oldnews ive always wanted cal foote since the draft, im just wishful thinking lol, i doubt tampa lets him go.

same - and have made a lot of proposals to poach him - particularly last offseason, when Tampa once again looked to be in a pickle (still not sure how they wiggled out of the offseason).

But there's really no way they can protect him (in the e.d.) - so he remains a very good target imo - that I'd be constantly keeping an eye on.

• Like 1

Debrusk is on IR.  Nucks need a rough and tough RD more.

I would much rather have Brandon Carlo please! 

Boston gets Virtanen and Chatfield.  Van may have to give up another piece.  I doubt Bruins would let Carlo go though.

Bruins would rather trade Kevan Miller, who's rough and tough, but not as good as Carlo.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Like I told someone else, I only looked at the top 20, as I was making a point about what people thought at the time of the draft.

But if it makes you feel better, grats for being able to google the 2014 draft....

You're too funny. I didn't need to Google that. That's off the top of my head funny guy.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

If people here are whining about Virtanen's production....

DeBrusk

1 pt in 6 games

81.8% ozone starts

3 hits

1.6 on ice goals for, 2.4 against.

He's played primarily with Bergeron and Marchand in those 6 games.

Virtanen

1 pt in 11g.

42.6% ozone starts

25 hits.

2.5 on ice goals for, 1.0 against.

Last year

Debrusk

19g, 16a, 35 pts,  -1

35 hits

16:03/game

59.1% ozone starts

2:33 /game powerplay ice time.

Virtanen

18g, 18a, 36 pts, -4

102 hits

13:05/game

52% ozone starts

0:52 pp ice time.

Pass on a Virtanen, DeBrusk deal.

That's DeBrusk on a contender btw, playing on Krejci's line.

Virtanen on the other hand is moving all over the place, and has played primarily on bottom six lines with Sutter, Gaudette.

No thanks.  DeBrusk is a top6 or bust type player - Virtanen can be a valuable bottom six guy that can move up the lineup - has played a lot more hard minutes....

I would still do that trade. I would ask for a 4th or something back with him but I would do it. 

Debrusk is more of a known commodity and he is willing to stick up for teammates. jake Virtanen's ceiling maybe higher but the gears between his ears do not process the game effectively. If Boston can utilize him more effective all the better for him. Debrusk would fit nicely with Petey and he has the game sense to be a better complementary piece. Plus we would get his dads approval and hype for our club. Which is never a bad thing among the media lol. 

The only major sticking point for me would be the salary difference.. Jake is around 2.55M if memory serves me right. DeBrusk is signed to a 3.675M deal. If we can make it work tho I would be game. Maybe we can package Sutter with Jake to help balance out the salaries and get another roster player and a prospect/pick back.

Sutter

Virtanen

DeBrusk

cap neutralizer

prospect/pick

Honestly DeBrusk brings a more complete game from my limited viewings. He can play with good plays and help Boston be good. If he has been a good top 6 player for a playoff favorite why can't we utilize him here in our top six. Jake also had easier matchups being on the 3rd/4th lines last season. DeBrusk saw more top 6 competition on a nightly basis. So its difficult to really evaluate those stats within that context.

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Boston gets Virtanen and Chatfield.  Van may have to give up another piece.  I doubt Bruins would let Carlo go though.

Bruins would rather trade Kevan Miller, who's rough and tough, but not as good as Carlo.

For how long? Because he'd have to sit out likely 2 1/2 weeks before he's game ready anyways. If he's out for 2-3 weeks it wouldn't be all that bad.

A thing to keep in mind:

If the Canucks trade with the states, the incoming guy has to quarantine, but the guy going to the states does not, afaik.

Meaning the team down south doesn't have two weeks without an asset playing, just us. Since Virtanen is playing a few, then sitting a few it would not be a huge hole to fill.

But I'm wanting more than DeBrusk back.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

If people here are whining about Virtanen's production....

DeBrusk

1 pt in 6 games

81.8% ozone starts

3 hits

1.6 on ice goals for, 2.4 against.

He's played primarily with Bergeron and Marchand in those 6 games.

Virtanen

1 pt in 11g.

42.6% ozone starts

25 hits.

2.5 on ice goals for, 1.0 against.

Last year

Debrusk

19g, 16a, 35 pts,  -1

35 hits

16:03/game

59.1% ozone starts

2:33 /game powerplay ice time.

Virtanen

18g, 18a, 36 pts, -4

102 hits

13:05/game

52% ozone starts

0:52 pp ice time.

Pass on a Virtanen, DeBrusk deal.

That's DeBrusk on a contender btw, playing on Krejci's line.

Virtanen on the other hand is moving all over the place, and has played primarily on bottom six lines with Sutter, Gaudette.

No thanks.  DeBrusk is a top6 or bust type player - Virtanen can be a valuable bottom six guy that can move up the lineup - has played a lot more hard minutes....

Your literally comparing DeBrusk's worst year to Virtanen's career year. 

Benning would be insane to decline a 1 for 1. Virtanen isn't a valuable player in any role at the moment.

And whether he's played 'harder' minutes is debatable. Playing with Marchand & Bergeron means your up against the opposing teams best players/defenders.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

exactly.

if they're shopping for needs right now - which is what NHL GMs actually do (not make senseless, desperation deals for assets they don't need) - then you're looking at players like Carlo (although he's a pipe-dream in the sense there's next to no chance Boston is looking to or entertaining moving him).

My thoughts go to the guy already mentioned in this thread - Cal Foote - and players like Scott Mayfield, who may be difficult for the Isles to protect, and who are relatively strong at RHD (ie Dobson is their #3 rhd - and they have Pulock at 1rhd.  And still, a guy like Mayfield, with an excellent contract like his, woud be costly - and the Isles just went to the ECF - so they're very competitive....wouldn't be an easy player to acquire.

Josh Manson would also be on my list (if he weren't on IR for 6 weeks...) - he's probably devalued in the present (and comes with a 4.1 million cap hit that prohibits a lot of buyers)...  they'd have to eat cap in return - ie Roussel - but he might be worth keeping an eye on (would love to poach Sam Steel from Anaheim as well, but not necessarily a 'need' as much as a want - would move Gaudette for him though if they can't get a player like Nick Paul for him.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Benning would be insane to decline a 1 for 1. Virtanen isn't a valuable player in any role at the moment.

And whether he's played 'harder' minutes is debatable. Playing with Marchand & Bergeron means your up against the opposing teams best players/defenders.

That is how cherry picking stats work.  You decide what you think of a player and then search and try to present data that confirms your subjective bias.

Are you new here?  :D

Do you expect someone to actually use the data to make their judgement on a player instead of improperly

using it as justification of their non-evidence based opinions?

13 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I would still do that trade. I would ask for a 4th or something back with him but I would do it. 

Debrusk is more of a known commodity and he is willing to stick up for teammates. jake Virtanen's ceiling maybe higher but the gears between his ears do not process the game effectively. If Boston can utilize him more effective all the better for him. Debrusk would fit nicely with Petey and he has the game sense to be a better complementary piece. Plus we would get his dads approval and hype for our club. Which is never a bad thing among the media lol. 

The only major sticking point for me would be the salary difference.. Jake is around 2.55M if memory serves me right. DeBrusk is signed to a 3.675M deal. If we can make it work tho I would be game. Maybe we can package Sutter with Jake to help balance out the salaries and get another roster player and a prospect/pick back.

Sutter

Virtanen

DeBrusk

cap neutralizer

prospect/pick

Honestly DeBrusk brings a more complete game from my limited viewings. He can play with good plays and help Boston be good. If he has been a good top 6 player for a playoff favorite why can't we utilize him here in our top six. Jake also had easier matchups being on the 3rd/4th lines last season. DeBrusk saw more top 6 competition on a nightly basis. So its difficult to really evaluate those stats within that context.

I hear a story there - about having a more 'complete game' and an assumption that DeBrusk faces more 'top6' competition (than a Sutter line, for example?) - but I don't see what qualifies your opinion.

And again - I'd have to ask where you propose to play him?

Just now, oldnews said:

I hear a story there - about having a more 'complete game' and an assumption that DeBrusk faces more 'top6' competition (than a Sutter line, for example?) - but I don't see what qualifies your opinion.

And again - I'd have to ask where you propose to play him?

Move Pearson to Sutter's line. Debrusk should be able to produce at a similar level well younger and not in his UFA

year like Pearson. 

I personally don't see Pearson as a good second line player in today's game. He would be fantastic in a third line that gets a lot of ice time. Hell put him with motte and beagle that line would get more offence. 

Podkolzin coming over tho might complicated things. I'd rather not have podz and hogz on the right wings. Suppose Miller could be moved before he becomes Ufa. I don't have all the answers though.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I am literally comparing where they are now - their last season.

You are overstating the belief that DeBrusk's previous seasons indicate much better outcomes than he acheived last year  - you are talking about a 7/8 pt difference - in the midst of contending and winning a cup - in seasons he had 65-70% ozone starts.

What he was last year, is pretty much what he is.

And again, I ask you or anyone to answer the question where you propose he fits on this team.