The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 19, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

What irritates me is I firmly believe our roster is much better than our coaching 

the roster has outgrown the coaches 

Have you seen the stats for the bottom half of our lineup? Players are stuck on one and two goals with no assists and have played a majority of  the games. The top players , Pettersson and Miller have low stats for first line players. The stats don't lie. The roster the way it's built isn't good enough.

4 minutes ago, sockeye said:

Also, we need more shots instead of taking the puck around the back of the opponent's net then losing the puck.  If you don't get a shot on net, you won't get a chance to score (look for rebounds etc).  We need less perimeter shots unless we have a body in front of the net.  Our team is not built for scrambly dirty goals (in front of the net) which we need more of.  Maybe in the off-season we can address this issue or we can use Jake or Zack to park themselves in front of the net.

@luckylager

Perhaps partly a confidence thing.

Looking to create the perfect play when you need a goal, rather than - when your confident - not thinking too much & just throwing puck on net when you get the chance.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Have you seen the stats for the bottom half of our lineup? Players are stuck on one and two goals with no assists and have played a majority of  the games. The top players , Pettersson and Miller have low stats for first line players. The stats don't lie. The roster the way it's built isn't good enough.

Have you ever thought it may be strategy, lineup and systems?

every team has depth issues in a cap world 

you have to set up your gameplan to maximize the chess pieces you have

i don’t feel we are doing that 

16 minutes ago, Pickly said:

The problem is team culture, Deb. It starts with leadership, enforced by coaching, and ends with players buying in. The Canucks have brought in players over the years to help them be a tougher team to play against but in the end it’s the culture is the Achilles heel. How do you change it? Well...it’s been an ongoing issues since the WCE era aside from a few players like Jeff Cowan, Darcy Hordichuk, and Derek Dorsett. 

Cowan? Unmemorable. Hordi and Dorset - middleweights and mediocre. Tough = Kurtenback, Smyl, McIlhargey, Cox, Gino, Brashaer and ?

We have several guys who are poor skills, unenergetic and not tough. What the hell are they doing taking a roster spot?

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

True.  I mean we'll never get fair treatment but maybe it's time to abandon the idea of that.  Striving for that.  If we're going to get targeted and the refs are going to shaft us, make it count.

Myers doesn't have that "crazy" edge and just crosschecking isn't enough anyhow.  He gets called because he stands out but not because he's a real threat to anyone.  

I hate that I have to feel this way because I really don't like the "out for blood" stuff...but when teams are out for blood and it's our promising young rookie....OH NO YOU DON'T.   The inconsistency in this league is a joke the Bertuzzi was made a scapegoat for nothing.  Some guys can get away with murder and others can't bat an eye without getting penalized.  So my new thinking is if we're going to the box, make it worthwhile.  Roll some heads.

The crazy thing about that whole sequence. That pile up looked oddly familiar to the Bertuzzi incident. Shouldn’t have happened. Fartbot should have gotten a penalty for cross checking. That’s on the refs to manage that and they failed miserably again. And what kind of game were they calling anyway, this isn’t the playoffs.

For whatever reason toughness hasn’t been our forte for years. I’m not sure what it is cause we’ve had multiple coaches in that time. Some years

we have one or 2 guys and sometimes none willing to embrace that. It’s a Canucks culture it seems

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Have you ever thought it may be strategy, lineup and systems?

every team has depth issues in a cap world 

you have to set up your gameplan to maximize the chess pieces you have

i don’t feel we are doing that 

Depth scoring has always been a problem since Benning has been here. Winnipeg seems to have fast, young players who contribute on the bottom half of their lineup. I just think the bottom half of our lineup is stale and doesn't offer much.

26 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Is it though?

Beagle's had more of an edge, Myers has shown (Armia) that he can have an edge, we got MacEwen who'll fight, Hoglander has an edge (that we'll see more of I'm sure), Boeser/Miller/Pearson/Horvat/Sutter aren't scrappy but get into the dirty areas & win battles, and now we have Juolevi stepping up on guys in open ice. 

I do think we need to get MacEwen in the lineup full time, and replace guys like Jake/Loui. Plus Podkolzin will definitely help. 

I guess it depends what we are talking about by "soft". 

The only thing I'd fault Green on the toughness front is not dressing MacEwen every night, he's part of the future - we need him in there. Aside from that he's dressing the grit we have.. unless I'm totally blanking on someone, Chatfield has an edge but are you really taking Juolevi our right now? Not me.

Maybe Hawryluk? Wouldn't mind him getting a look. 

Is Hawryluk healthy again? 

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

We've had rotten luck.  Ferland, Dors, Rypper, Luc.  I mean...tragic, awful, horrible cursed bad luck.

Dorsett wasn't really intimidating but a guy like him would be a good co-leader(in a certain sense) in terms of the rough stuff with a guy like Ferland(type of player) as the leader.

I think once we get cap we need to bring in a few of these types. Both at D and forward

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Pearson with 18:12 of ice-time while Virtanen had 08:00. Not sure what Pearson did to deserve so much more than Jake, but I thought our shotgun was more visible than Tanner.

Sutter with 15:25 vs Beagle with 7:32. Both not really visible, but at least Jay throws a few hits out there and wins more draws as opposed to Sutter. 

Green has been consistent with giving guys like Sutter, Pearson and Roussel extra ice-time or a slot in the lineup when they really don’t deserve it. Something needs to be addressed here.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I mention a player like Ferland(in terms of type of player).

Bo isn't intimidating or a big hitter/fighter. He's more of a 2-way guy.

Always has been. His grittiness has always been battling for position and the puck. There’s a misconception around here by a lot of people of the type of player he is.

• Vintage 1

We have a young rookie in Hogs that arguably has been out best player ( with Brock) and he he abused 

he get cross checked and slashed

we did nothing in terms of a response, the point was more important that sticking up for a kid 

pathetic soft team 

they see we don’t  stick up so they go after Hogs again 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, davidgoliath said:

Cowan? Unmemorable. Hordi and Dorset - middleweights and mediocre. Tough = Kurtenback, Smyl, McIlhargey, Cox, Gino, Brashaer and ?

We have several guys who are poor skills, unenergetic and not tough. What the hell are they doing taking a roster spot?

Just now, Cluminati* said:

Pearson with 18:12 of ice-time while Virtanen had 08:00. Not sure what Pearson did to deserve so much more than Jake, but I thought our shotgun was more visible than Tanner.

Sutter with 15:25 vs Beagle with 7:32. Both not really visible, but at least Jay throws a few hits out there and wins more draws as opposed to Sutter. 

Green has been consistent with giving guys like Sutter, Pearson and Roussel extra ice-time or a slot in the lineup when they really don’t deserve it. Something needs to be addressed here.

There isn’t really the depth otherwise. That’s why you see the top 6 always playing so many minutes. There’s gonna be huge holes in the bottom six to replace over the next years. Hopefully the gm can manage the dough to fix these otherwise the team can’t progress