The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators | March 15, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, billabong said:

Demko - 6x6m with a NMC, yay or nay? 

you’d have 10m locked up in goalies next year though

literally don’t know if the Canucks can even afford to have that much tied up in goalies and ice an average line up in front of them 

hopefully its 5 something

15 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Just because were winning it doesn’t exempt this team from criticism. 

Especially when the biggest reason, almost the only reason, we’re winning is because of one goalie. 

If you’ve watched most of last season with Markstrom and Demko’s run this year it is almost the same. Team is way too reliant on elite goaltending to win games. So this is nothing new. 

Take away Demko playing elite then I don’t like our chances winning. I think that’s an issue.

I would like to see this team take the next step  but if we don’t figure out how to play better in front of our goalies we won’t take that step or sustain any long term success. 

Criticize away...when it's justified. I was responding to the guy who wanted to fire the coaching staff because of the way the Nucks were outshot in this game. That's a little extreme. And doesn't ANY team have to rely on elite goaltending to win games and to go far? I love that Demko is playing like an elite goalie who has stole a couple games for us lately. He's giving us hope to make the playoffs. But he isn't the only reason we're 6-2 in March. Most of those wins were because of solid team play. I'm thinking of our sweep of the Leafs... and Winnipeg, and Montreal for example. I'm not worried about a couple of games that we won but didn't play well. I see a team that's finding a way to get it done... and without their star player.

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Sounds like Edmunchuk is wearing down(Barrie left game), & Yamamoto looked gimpy.

That's a team we should try to reel in. Too dependent on 2 guys, & Smith's a bum!

They are one key injury away from falling back to the pack. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Is this serious?

Be serious. Or don’t even bother.

Zhukini said:

Took the dog out at listened to a podcast rather than the 3rd. Glad they won but the tying goal was predictable. 

Holtby needs to start soon. 

That guy is a total trash talker. Obviously not a real Canuck fan. Always garbage. Guaranteed.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, billabong said:

literally don’t know if the Canucks can even afford to have that much tied up in goalies and ice an average line up in front of them 

If Demko keeps this up, that's a bargain. But eesh, that's a rough total for the tandem.
Something like $23m opens up this offseason, but Demko @ 6 and if Petey/Hughes get ~$7.5 each, that leaves $2-3m to improve the roster next year? Yikes.

43 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I didn't watch the game tonight but I knew that it is the issue with coaching that I hope that it would be sorted out by the summer if Benning decides to let him go.  He's in the final year of contract and Benning could opt not to sign him and instead, find a new coach before all good coaches is snagged up by the time off-season begins.   We should be thanking a lucky star because we have Demko for foreseen future all thanks to Benning's drafting.  I would say that Benning is a great GM with finding all of those players but needs to find a right coach to mesh him into a superstar team.   They do have the potential to breakout at anytime with right coach.   

Hughes is justifiably confident in his own play, but a big part of his stellar rookie season is the confidence his coaches had in him right from day one. Head coach Travis Green and defence coach Nolan Baumgartner didn't hesitate to give Hughes tough matchups on the ice, trusting in the young defenceman's hockey IQ and physical skillset to handle big minutes.

"They're really good coaches, they're great communicators, and they're great motivators," he said. "I think they know how to get the best out of me and other guys. They're the type of guys that you want to win for. I wanted to win that Game 7, obviously for the city and for our teammates, but for the coaching staff too. I think as a coach, it's so important to communicate with your players and I think he does a really good job with that. I've seen a lot of coaches that don't."

"I've been fortunate to have these two, definitely, in my rookie year," he added. "I think we're all still building. It's only my first year with them. We've got a young group, so I think as the years go on, we'll just get to know each other better and better. That's the exciting part, it's only year one and we've got, hopefully, a long time."

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No. Not yet at least.

Hughes is leading the league in points by a D man. That will be an easy argument for his agent to get a long term 7-8 million dollar deal. Of course the Canucks could do a smaller bridge but I doubt they want to.

A goalie who is just emerging as a starter will fall in the 4.5-5.5 mil range.

Gms and agents use real comparables not eye tests.

Thatcher demko should probably be getting tukka rask money from 2012-2013 which equates to 4.1 million today

1 Quinn Hughes D VAN N Oct-Jun Same RFA 20 6 $6,885,000 0% 9% 8% 5% 12% 47% 13% 8% $3,790,000 $5,046,000 $5,542,000 $5,956,000 $6,204,000 $6,885,000 $6,611,000 $8,016,000 5.5 $6,544,000

1 Elias Pettersson F VAN N Oct-Jun Same RFA 21 8 $10,320,000 0% 7% 5% 2% 22% 27% 7% 30% $7,065,000 $6,503,000 $8,135,000 $8,405,000 $8,989,000 $9,045,000 $9,392,000 $10,320,000 6 $9,204,000

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, billabong said:

It's not an average lineup now so does it matter?  I'd take that Demko contract.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

If Demko keeps this up, that's a bargain. But eesh, that's a rough total for the tandem.
Something like $23m opens up this offseason, but Demko @ 6 and if Petey/Hughes get ~$7.5 each, that leaves $2-3m to improve the roster next year? Yikes.

We don't even need to spend money to improve, we can simply improve by subtraction - take away Roussel and Beagle or Sutter, we have a better team.  

• Sad 1