The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators | March 17, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

15 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Vesey and Motte returning from injury inserted to our bottom 6 should be a much needed change of scenery. Both high energy players that can pot in goals. 

Anything to keep Roussel off the line-up.

He driving to Ottawa today, could he play tonight?

51 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I would have gone with Holtby tonight. If you don't have faith in him against the Sens when your starter needs a night off, when do you have faith in him. 

we have a back to back on the weekend,  i would guess he will get one of those. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

It's part of why i cautiously optimistic about Demko - same with Binnington for that matter.   And a lot of other reasons.   MAF is the last goalie that i can think of - that started very young and kept up his level of play the same way the greats of yesterday ... Luongo included.   It's not easy being that good all the time.  A few years ago a no name goalie came in and won his first 22 or so games in OTT - every start...forgot his name already.   Vasilevksy is the only young guy playing right now that looks to have the chops to compare to say Lundqvist or Luongo - boosted big time by the team he's playing on.   Wonder how Gibson or Demko would manage over there .... 

MAF proved himself beyond a doubt that he's going into the HHOF given what he accomplished in Vegas.   Have to say though - in the record books anyways - that all shutout losses or wins should be recorded as ties.   400 wins is beyond incredible - not many players have more and aren't in the HHOF already.   Luongo would go down into Sawchuk territory with i think the third most games ever - Lundqvist i'm not even sure he'd have 400 wins.

Hart and Price and Vasilevsky are the only goalies who have a small chance of getting 400 wins as of right now .... because if you don't start at age 19-20 your pretty much screwed.   Bower managed 300 wins starting in his 30's ... imagine that. 

Edit:  Osgood (400 wins), Cujo and Luongo are the only guys - maybe Lundqvist but i don't think he quite made it once you convert his stats into  ties - he absolutely feasted in the shootout)  are the only guys not in the HHOF ... all four have good cases - Luongo, Lundqvist, Osgood should be in.    Without Osgood no return to the finals - if Detroit won back to back again he'd have won the Conn Smythe  and was really just as or more deserving then Zetterberg .

Except Demko's pedigree is really good. 

He's been a great goalie at every level so it's not like he came out of nowhere. His technical skills and positioning is solid and something you would expect from a top tier goalie. Those things don't go away

25 minutes ago, bree2 said:

we have a back to back on the weekend,  i would guess he will get one of those. 

Isn't the goal right now to try and win out to get into the playoffs tho? If you can give Holtby an Easy night tonight and then ride Demko against Montreal before he has a week off I think that gives you the best chance to win out but that's just my thought

20 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Which sounds a lot like either Motte and/or Vesey will be playing tonight.

the next roster move is easy, Michaelis. Adding Motte and Vesey back to the bottom 6 could be a great boost heading into the next 5, which make or break any chance the Canucks still have at the post season. 

We have to take 4/5 leading up to March 25th, win tonight, sweep the weekend in Montreal, 1-1 in Winnipeg. Pretty tough sledding.  

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Vintage 1

It amazes me how much Edler is able to eat minutes for this team...but also a huge worry that there isn't an immediate solution to replace Edler and those minutes.

its time to see what we have in Olli Juolevi and see if he can ease/transition into that defensive role for us. I love Jordie Benn and how he has helped turned things around for himself, but long term, we need to see who we have internally to replace this. I guess Schmidt but its time to grow our own players into roles instead of relying on trades of signings to fill those big holes.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Caithfidh na Canucks na Seanadóirí seo a bhualadh cosúil liomsa bhuail Daid mé nuair a bhí mé i mo ghasúr. Go tapa agus ar chúis mhaith. 

Blunt is all ready for the 4-hour Irish lunch. His work day is over. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the next roster move is easy, Michaelis. Adding Motte and Vesey back to the bottom 6 could be a great boost heading into the next 5, which make or break any chance the Canucks still have at the post season. 

We have to take 4/5 leading up to March 25th, win tonight, sweep the weekend in Montreal, 1-1 in Winnipeg. Pretty tough sledding.  

Can see where Jim's taking the bottom 6. He admitted that the veteran support plan utterly failed.

2 years from now pretty much the entire's forward group is gonna be in their 20's.

14 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

It amazes me how much Edler is able to eat minutes for this team...but also a huge worry that there isn't an immediate solution to replace Edler and those minutes.

its time to see what we have in Olli Juolevi and see if he can ease/transition into that defensive role for us. I love Jordie Benn and how he has helped turned things around for himself, but long term, we need to see who we have internally to replace this. I guess Schmidt but its time to grow our own players into roles instead of relying on trades of signings to fill those big holes.

We know what we have in Juolevi, so far on the PK Canucks have not seen a goal scored against with him on the ice... My info may be wrong here, but he needs his chance to play.

Greener was supposed to be a players coach, willing to teach and let players learn. Guess that only counts if your Hughes. Dude can make how many bone head plays and still get 22 mins a night. Yeah offense blah blah... Juolevi makes a couple mistakes and he's just not ready, back to the press box. Like Jeff Skinner said, can't learn much from the press box, already know how hockey is played...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1