The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler To Have Hearing Today [Update: Suspended 2 games]

Rate this topic

-DLC-

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

2-3 games seems fair.  I don't think there was intent, but that was a bad hit.

Hyman is no angel himself, but that won't play into it. The major usually factors in, so to me 3 would be too much, thats like an effective 4 game suspension. 

But one things for sure, consistency out of DoPS just isn't a thing. It could be anything from a fine to 4 games. 

1 hour ago, AriGold said:

Edler just looks like he's bracing himself to throw a big hit.  Watch the replay from 28 seconds, it's Hyman that tries a move to deke around Edler at the last second, Edler just continues on his same course.  It's not like he stuck his knee out further at the last second, it's just unfortunate.  Hyman should have just taken the hit instead of trying to dance around a viking.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

20 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Nahhhh. 
He gets 3 games because he deserves them.  
Id go with 2 myself, but let’s take the blinders off here.   
It was a fairly garbage play by Edler.   It happens. He deserves a suspension. 
That’s not saying he meant to do it, but you gotta be in control and he wasn’t.  

Not to take anything away from who he is as a player or blah blah blah........

it was a bad hit and he deserves a couple games.  

Not by any metric of or standard of consistency in this or last years NHL's discipline standards.

1 game maybe.

Far worse has gotten far less by players committing to them with far greater regularity.  If we're playing it consistently its a 1 game suspension.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

Edler just looks like he's bracing himself to throw a big hit.  Watch the replay from 28 seconds, it's Hyman that tries a move to deke around Edler at the last second, Edler just continues on his same course.  It's not like he stuck his knee out further at the last second, it's just unfortunate.  Hyman should have just taken the hit instead of trying to dance around a viking.

Yeah..... no. He stuck out his leg. Looked like he was trying to trap Hyman a bit because he was going to miss the hit. I don’t think it was intentional but it was 100% illegal and dangerous. 

Edit: probably better to say, I don’t think it was malicious rather than intentional. 

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Darth Canuck said:

You can tell by this picture Edler was bracing for a clean hit. Feet planted, stick and shoulders down.  Hyman didn’t want to get hit and moved around, that’s when the knee to knee. If Hyman mans up and takes a hit, there’s no knee to knee. 

I posted in the postgame, the leafs last game against the Jets, Hyman got a fine for a 2 handed stick swing to Pionks head. $5000 fine. So what’s worse, a retaliatory, 2 handed stick swing to the head, or an avoidable, accidental knee to knee?

Edler gets 2-3 for being a Canuck.

C7FB21EB-66FF-47EB-A8E7-04BA480C26D0.png

This is exactly what I saw live, if you need to frame by frame a play to find fault in a play then it’s hard to argue intent.

No one’s brain-action response works that fast

• Vintage 1

I think this will be 3-5 games. Unfortunately he's a repeat offender, I recall him being suspended in the past for a nearly identical play (although I think it was for team Sweden).

Edler's gotta stop with the sticking the leg out thing, you can't do that my dude.

Edit: Not a "repeat offender" by definition, thanks @Warhippy. But still has done it in the past :/

Edited by Oregon.Duck

I think Edler will receive the same treatment that other players (non superstars) would receive on other teams.  

Unfortunately, there is a double standard that exists for superstars (I.e. McDavid elbow).

Having said that, I am thankful that Edler is having a hearing today as opposed to 2009-2013 when the NHL’s treatment towards the Canucks was akin to America’s treatment towards many African Americans.   Don’t believe me?  Watch the Canucks’ playoff series when they played Chicago in 2009, 2010, and 2011, the games against Boston in Games, 3,4,5, and 6, and then our playoff series’ against Los Angeles and San Jose in 2012 and 2013.

Even in 2015 when we played the Flames, a lot of what Ferland was doing should have been called as charging or roughing penalties (as would have been called in the regular season).   You look at many of those hits that Ferland was making and he was taking 2 or 3 extra strides.

Anyways - Edler probably will get suspended but the penalty would have been far worse had this been 2009-2013.....and particularly in the playoffs.

Edited by DarkIndianRises

Just now, Oregon.Duck said:

I think this will be 3-5 games. Unfortunately he's a repeat offender, I recall him being suspended in the past for a nearly identical play (although I think it was for team Sweden).

Edler's gotta stop with the sticking the leg out thing, you can't do that my dude.

Is he?

https://www.nhl.com/news/player-safety-questions/c-738846

What is a "Repeat Offender"?

A Player is considered a repeat offender for 18 months following his most recent incident that resulted in a suspension. His status as a repeat offender in this category is used to determine the amount of salary forfeited should he receive another suspension.

It is important to note that even if a Player is not defined as a repeat offender, his past history may come into consideration when determining future Supplemental Discipline.

I sincerely question the NHL in this as we've seen the rats of the league get away with so much without any level of increased or forward discipline, as such by their metric Edler is not a repeat offender

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Is he?

https://www.nhl.com/news/player-safety-questions/c-738846

What is a "Repeat Offender"?

A Player is considered a repeat offender for 18 months following his most recent incident that resulted in a suspension. His status as a repeat offender in this category is used to determine the amount of salary forfeited should he receive another suspension.

It is important to note that even if a Player is not defined as a repeat offender, his past history may come into consideration when determining future Supplemental Discipline.

I sincerely question the NHL in this as we've seen the rats of the league get away with so much without any level of increased or forward discipline, as such by their metric Edler is not a repeat offender

You're right. In the sense of the English words "repeat offender" he's offended again. Based on the definition of the NHL though, I was unaware that its only 18 months.

4 minutes ago, Oregon.Duck said:

Actually, according to NHL rules Edler is not a repeat offender.

The repeat offender tag disappears after a time period where there are no offences. It is two years or something like that. Edler hasn't been suspended since 2013

Suspension or not, I like that Edler plays with an edge.

You want your rugged defenders to play on the line knowing that from time to time that line may be crossed. I think in Edlers defense, he looked worn out, in fact the whole team did despite the win.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1