The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers l May 6, 6 p.m. l SNP | ROAD TO 100 EDITION

Rate this topic

-SN-

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes i am.   As far as generational players, they deserve props ... neither own a cup.  McDavid hasn't either - both were the next best in WG generation.  McDavid and Draisatl are awesome players but so were they.   But let's wait and see.   Until McDavid scores 70-100% more then the next tier .. he's not Mario or WG.   And i would argue until i'm blue in the face that today's game is much much tamer then it was back then because it for sure is.   You simply can't comment, by looking at stats - even though they for sure support it anyways, unless you were there.   Truly i'm going to ask again, go spend an hour looking at Lindros and Mario highlights (WG why bother he's so much better it's not even worth the air) and tell me honesty how you'd think McDavid would do with a guy on his back, another one hooking him and another coming in to hit him.

Id much rather build a team around Lindros then McDavid.   He'd have a field day with the guys playing today.

the reason the 80's were so high in scoring was because that gms built teams to play offense first and the game was just catching up to orr's influence into the game, gretzky further influenced that.

the coaches didn't have a strategy to stop the offense, just obstruct them. that stopped in 2003/2004 13 years of obstruction?

goalies have been perfecting the butterfly over the last 30 years and are still improving

the first real team defense strategys became widely adopted in 95/96 they didn't perfect them until about 2009/2010.

newell brown changed the powerplay with the drop pass and ovechkin made ways to improve the powerplay from the 2010 season on.

there have been a few slight stratetgy ajustments each year as gms and coaches copy the latest and greatest up winners, but nothing too significant since the 2010/2011 season

gretzky never faced this

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

How can Nurse show up to the rink? He's such a whining, diving embarrassment of a player. It seems to be the Soilers MO to dive and whine to the (expletive deleted)-smoking refs whenever possible. What a pathetic league. 

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Your honor, the defense would like to enter exhibit A into evidence.

The guy making these decisions sole job in the NHL for many years was getting punched in the head. There is more than reasonable doubt his judgment may be clouded by repeated brain trauma.

The results definitely point to it.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

or billboard of this

image.jpeg.103d55d4a79d561b953bbf1c41265f51.jpeg

Well this is obviously playing into some of his decisions.  But it's not just Parros,  it's the whole  department.   I'd kind of understand the Hamonic centre ice hit if it was reviewed, but this is laughable. If macewan is suspended it's to protect Nurse from a beat down before the playoffs.

27 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

listen i would rank

between the best players in the last 40 years something like

lemiuex tier1a

gretzky

jagr    tier1b

crosby

mcdavid if he continues to improve his play I would consider him in tier1a

Ok that's fine.   Wait until he scores 70-100% more then the next tier, for 5/7 years and yes he can make it.  Otherwise tier b is where he should go.  Add Orr to tier A.    And there are a lot more forwards  then Jagr, Crosby, Ovi ... Yzerman, Sakic, Coffey, Potvin, Bossy, Clark, Hull x 2 etc...where they rank amongst each other is always up to debate.  Yes maybe McDavid ends up with these guys too, he's still a very young player ... Hawerchuk and Stastny i used because they never won a cup but were still amazing players.   Still think they are good comps for McDavid and yes that could change.   WG and Mario changed the league, just like Orr.   Things they all did are still used today.   McDavid and Mathews are this leagues new poster boys, but it doesn't denigrate or invalidate what was either.  Maybe McDavid is this decades Lindros.  And gets clocked three or four times and fades away.   Lindros was supposed to be the next big thing, and for awhile in the dead puck era he was exactly that (playing against the old guard).   My hackles always get up when anyone thinks today's athletes "are so much better".   They simply are not.  Pretty easy to speed the game up by taking one pass away.   Didn't mean those guys were slow because for sure they were not.   QHs isn't not even close to the skater Coffey and Orr were.   Both just as agile and way higher top end speed.   And bigger.  And willing to drop the gloves more then any player on our current team does in one season.  

Yes the game has changed.  Yes McDavid and Mathews are the current Mario and Brett Hull.   Leagues got 31 teams soon 32.  Not 21.  Not 16 and certainly not 6.   It's diluted talent.   Half the guys in today's game wouldn't play in the 70's.   And like i've already said, so many times, it's very simple to go back era to era just by how the guys in their 30-35 range played against the crop of new stars in their 20-25 range. 

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes the game has changed.  Yes McDavid and Mathews are the current Mario and Brett Hull.   Leagues got 31 teams soon 32.  Not 21.  Not 16 and certainly not 6.   It's diluted talent.   Half the guys in today's game wouldn't play in the 70's.   And like i've already said, so many times, it's very simple to go back era to era just by how the guys in their 30-35 range played against the crop of new stars in their 20-25 range. 

Completely disagree.   In the 70's the league had a very small pool of players to pull from compared to amount of countries that have become regular contributors due to how the sport has grown globally.   The 70's guys were smoking during intermission... there's no way most of them could keep up with the way today's players (from so many countries) are developed and train from teens up.  Training camp used to be for getting in shape, now if you're not in peak shape when it starts you're cut.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Are you willing to give him term? Other teams likely will. Do you resign both Eddy and Hamonic?

Yeah, this could be the issue that prevents him returning. It very well could be that he will get an offer we cannot compete with. However, based on what I’m seeing with Hamonic I’d choose him over Eddy at this point. I do get the feeling that Hamonic isn’t motivated by money as much as other players…the importance he puts on family has been well documented. 

The Hamonic we are seeing right now is far superior to the version at the start of the season. The man had a ton of rust to knock off his game….and I think he has.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I’d choose him over Eddy at this point

I think that Juolevi  is potentially the replacement for Edler.  Rathbone and Juolevi should both end up on the top 6 defence men.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, wloutet said:

I think that Juolevi  is potentially the replacement for Edler.  Rathbone and Juolevi should both end up on the top 6 defence men.

I really like Rathbone so far. Not just offensively either. He is calm defensively and makes smart decisions to get the puck back out. Willing to battle along the boards too.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ok that's fine.   Wait until he scores 70-100% more then the next tier, for 5/7 years and yes he can make it.  Otherwise tier b is where he should go.  Add Orr to tier A.    And there are a lot more forwards  then Jagr, Crosby, Ovi ... Yzerman, Sakic, Coffey, Potvin, Bossy, Clark, Hull x 2 etc...where they rank amongst each other is always up to debate.  Yes maybe McDavid ends up with these guys too, he's still a very young player ... Hawerchuk and Stastny i used because they never won a cup but were still amazing players.   Still think they are good comps for McDavid and yes that could change.   WG and Mario changed the league, just like Orr.   Things they all did are still used today.   McDavid and Mathews are this leagues new poster boys, but it doesn't denigrate or invalidate what was either.  Maybe McDavid is this decades Lindros.  And gets clocked three or four times and fades away.   Lindros was supposed to be the next big thing, and for awhile in the dead puck era he was exactly that (playing against the old guard).   My hackles always get up when anyone thinks today's athletes "are so much better".   They simply are not.  Pretty easy to speed the game up by taking one pass away.   Didn't mean those guys were slow because for sure they were not.   QHs isn't not even close to the skater Coffey and Orr were.   Both just as agile and way higher top end speed.   And bigger.  And willing to drop the gloves more then any player on our current team does in one season.  

good thing gretzky agrees with me. 

no one will ever score 250 bijillion points. in a season because he goalies are in another eicholon and actual team defense is played nowadays.

hockey if the fastest growing sport in the world, more young kids playing means more nhl quality players and teams.

your right there was some stacked teams back in the 80's but that has nothing to do with how good of an athlete they are.

players are bigger faster stronger more skilled and understand the game better, thanks to the internet and technology.

again look at individual sports not too many records are held from the 80's

you could drop the teams down to 21 and there still wouldn't be 10-12 goal games, because it's so hard to gain entry into the offensive zone with possession.

until the older folk realize how much the game changed i will continue to mock and trash the 80's defensive structure's.

you have a major disillusionment to how great players and defensive strategies are today. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, IBatch said:

23 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

Completely disagree.   In the 70's the league had a very small pool of players to pull from compared to amount of countries that have become regular contributors due to how the sport has grown globally.   The 70's guys were smoking during intermission... there's no way most of them could keep up with the way today's players (from so many countries) are developed and train from teens up.  Training camp used to be for getting in shape, now if you're not in peak shape when it starts you're cut.

Take the speed away from McDavid and he loses most of his production.  If McDavid played in the 70s or 80s, his knees would have been taken out a long time ago.  I don't think people that never watched 70s or 80s hockey know how much more physical and violent it was than the modern era.  Heck, even hockey in the early 90s was pretty vicious... just ask Lindros and Kariya about a guy named Scott Stevens.

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

good thing gretzky agrees with me. 

no one will ever score 250 bijillion points. in a season because he goalies are in another eicholon and actual team defense is played nowadays.

hockey if the fastest growing sport in the world, more young kids playing means more nhl quality players and teams.

your right there was some stacked teams back in the 80's but that has nothing to do with how good of an athlete they are.

players are bigger faster stronger more skilled and understand the game better, thanks to the internet and technology.

again look at individual sports not too many records are held from the 80's

you could drop the teams down to 21 and there still wouldn't be 10-12 goal games, because it's so hard to gain entry into the offensive zone with possession.

until the older folk realize how much the game changed i will continue to mock and trash the 80's defensive structure's.

you have a major disillusionment to how great players and defensive strategies are today. 

There is no chance that hockey is the fastest growing sport in the world. Hockey is marketed terribly, I don’t even think it’s one of the core 4 sports in North America anymore lol. 

• Cheers 1