The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Eichel wants out of Buffalo. Says there is disconnect with organization.

Nave

4 minutes ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

Gillis didn't want to re-sign Mitchell cuz of the concussion he had that last year. Instead Gillis traded for Keith Ballard as his replacement and then a week later signed Dan Hamhuis as a free agent...  Oh well

Was Hamhuis from B.C.?

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

Just a thought,

Sam Reinhart also wants out of Buffalo and he’d be a LOT cheaper than Eichel.    

Totally down. I was all in on Sam his draft year and have been wanting the Canucks to find a way to acquire him ever since. He has untapped potential. A top 9 on the right of Boes, Pod, and Rein would look great.

I don't think he is worth the trade you offered though. I get we shed 6mil in cap, but Loui is going soon anyways. At this point I think we just wait it out. Rathbone is going to be a hell of a player for us, and our first this year is going to go a long way with our rebuild. 

Edited by shayster007

44 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, a herniated disk in your neck is pretty serious, and having a disagreement over treatment is a good way to lose a player. 

I mean, unless Buffalo's medical team are complete idiots, every doctors has their opinion on different treatment and procedures.   Eichel is allowed to request a 2nd opinion, but again usually that's a decision that's made between the parties.  I don't know what happen there, but to me it looks like Eichel is getting out of his way (a la Hogdson) to blame the organization for his disappointing career (based on expectations, team winning % and contract) to date.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I mean, unless Buffalo's medical team are complete idiots, every doctors has their opinion on different treatment and procedures.   Eichel is allowed to request a 2nd opinion, but again usually that's a decision that's made between the parties.  I don't know what happen there, but to me it looks like Eichel is getting out of his way (a la Hogdson) to blame the organization for his disappointing career (based on expectations, team winning % and contract) to date.

hard to say, but I can see why the guy is pissed. I mean how many rebuild years do you expect a player to put up with? add to that some maybe sketchy medical advice, and the prospect of even more rebuilding years. Yikes. 

He's never struck me as particularly whiney and I can see a justifiable desire to leave that tire fire. But its all just a guess, who knows whats really going on.

Edited by Jimmy McGill

32 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Totally down. I was all in on Sam his draft year and have been wanting the Canucks to find a way to acquire him ever since. He has untapped potential. A top 9 on the right of Boes, Pod, and Rein would look great.

Reinhart showed pretty strong chemistry with Bo in the WJHC too.

From Friedman’ 31 Thoughts:

(...)

According to multiple sources, Eichel had a contentious exit interview with the organization. No one is commenting, but it’s believed he is exploring — on the advice of his medical team — an artificial disc replacement in his neck.

The Sabres and their captain are believed to have agreed to a month-long “pause” to see how Eichel reacted to rest. The end of that period is approaching, and, from what I understand, he still wants the surgery. The Sabres aren’t thrilled with the idea, and have not indicated they will approve.

I find it hard to believe Eichel isn’t consulting the best of the best, while Buffalo’s reticence comes from artificial disc replacement lacking evidence of its effectiveness on elite-level athletes. It’s a relatively new phenomenon. As far as I could find, there are no examples of NHLers who returned to play after having one.

Mixed martial artist Chris Weidman announced he underwent this procedure in Jan. 2019, and proclaimed it a success. He’s fought three times since then, suffering an unrelated injury three weeks ago. Another fighter, Aljamain Sterling, went through it last month. He’s resumed cardio and sounds optimistic, telling ESPN that doctors informed him, “I will heal in three months.”

The Johns Hopkins Medicine website describes the procedure like this: 

Cervical disk replacement surgery involves removing a diseased cervical disk and replacing it with an artificial disk. Before this procedure was available, the affected disk was removed and the vertebrae above and below were fused together to prevent motion. The use of an artificial disk to replace your natural cervical disk is a new type of treatment that has recently been approved by the FDA. Disk replacement surgery may have the advantage of allowing more movement and creating less stress on your remaining vertebrae than traditional cervical disk surgery.

“While any surgery carries some risk, disk replacement surgery is a relatively safe procedure,” the website states, before adding it “is a new type of spine surgery so there is little information on possible long-term risks and outcomes.” 

There are recent examples of star players embracing the unconventional. Connor McDavid did it coming back from his severe knee injury. Sidney Crosby with his concussion recovery.

Prior to the 2020 bubble playoffs, the NHL and NHLPA amended the CBA section concerning “Second Opinions” for players. It allows players like Eichel to obtain these insights at their own cost, with full medical information provided by the team. A grievance or appeal of Buffalo’s stance is always possible, but the passage seemingly puts power in an organization’s hands:

“The club physician shall determine the diagnosis or course of treatment (including the timing thereof) after considering any report or other records received from the player’s physician and after giving due consideration to their recommendations.” 

Undoubtedly, we’re going to hear more and learn more. But it’s hard to see how Eichel plays another game for the home team in Western New York. It’s clear that trust is broken, and arguments about medical care are much harder to fix than debates over franchise direction.

1. Potential trade partners will need to navigate his treatment, but don’t kid yourself — there will be a ton of interest in Eichel. Teams you initially don’t think of will be there. Think about it: He’s still in his prime, turning 25 in October. He’s signed for five years. Yes, this season was a disaster, but one year ago, he was excellent. He’ll be incredibly motivated. 

The obvious suitor is the Rangers, who made a legit pitch one year ago. If they want to do it, they definitely can. They weren’t willing to do a first-rounder last fall — it was No. 1 overall — but unless they win the lottery back-to-back, that’ll be an option this time around. No GM will be more comfortable with Eichel’s representatives, Peter Fish and Peter Donatelli, than Chris Drury, who was their client when he played. 

Big question: Will Buffalo want to send him there? Bigger question: If the Rangers make the best offer, can the Sabres afford to say no?

You have to think Boston tries, but do they have the pieces? No one lusts after a centre more than Columbus, but, again, do they have what Buffalo wants? Philadelphia could do it. Anaheim was in on Pierre-Luc Dubois, and they have the pieces. Los Angeles certainly can. It doesn’t make sense for them, but Ottawa could, too. So could Montreal. There’s going to be a serious suitor we don’t think of.

11 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

We should wait for 2022 and hope that we can pick in the top five. I know people on here are clamoring for playoffs but our team just has too many holes to fill and the cupboards are too bare. It's time for a new GM to come in, assess the situation and decide where to go next. 

Agreed. The Eichel thing will never happen nor it shouldn't (when thinking realistically for the future of the team).

It would just be a cool scenario to think about having a Petey-Eichel-Boeser line. 

5 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

got the assets, thats for sure

Kakko, Chytil, Georgiev and a 1st would be enough for Eichel IMO. Kakko's been under performing as well and Chytil is a solid top nine forward. Eichel gets insulated nicely with Zibanejad as the 2C. Over night, the New York Rangers become a cup contender.