The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

37 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Thx for providing a link. 

As stated earlier, I didn't like that Toffoli wasn't signed; it was a huge mistake on JB's part.  Still haven't changed my stance on letting Tanev + Marks go. 

Agreed, not signing him was a mistake. There is another article that Pearson wanted him back as well, but that's more obvious. He would have been a good fit in the top 6, both on and off the ice. What's even more insulting is he signed elsewhere for even less than mentioned in that tweet. The fact he wasn't even given an offer must have been insulting to the rest of the top 6. Heck, it's insulting to the fan base as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, combover said:

Same way it was leaked Kessler wanted out.

players talking to players but that makes to much sense so Drance is just a fool until he says all hail lord dim jim then it’ll be I like drance . Lol

Trade and contract negotiation leaks are one thing as those happen for a reason to drive negotiations. 

This kind of dribbles does no one good. 

Making sense have nothing to do with what is actually going on in the room. Just because it make sense doesn't mean it is true. 

Drance and the two J Patts are the epitome of our toxic media. Their is fair criticism by those like Rintoul and Ian and then there are these three. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It was a 3 game play in. Not a playoff series. Even the NHL itself didnt classify it as one. Playoff series are 7 games.

They won 1 series and got dominated other than unsustainable goaltending by Demko in the 2nd round. With even above average goaltending that series is over in 5 at the most.

You claim me calling it what the NHL itself calls it is bias.....

It seems its actually you who is trying to change that narrative to make it look like the Canucks accomplished more success than they actually did in a bias to support the train wreck setbacks it cost the team by Benning.

Look at me, I’m going to give you a paper bag cause you make my subconscious benning insecurities tingle. I must suppress. Lol. 

Wasn't it Hughes who was crying earlier in the year about having all these new faces around this year, I'm pretty sure that was a sign of not happy with the GM with what they've done. 

But now when a reporter mentions it, everyone's like no that can't be true, he doesn't know anything, he can't even talk to the players, blah blah blah.

You guys are in denial :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Players have re-signed, talked about wanting to re-sign and come back, and talked about being excited for next year. Frankly, with some of the poor reporting that has gone on perhaps it is the media who have some trust to rebuild in this market; I guess time will tell. If players start to ask for trades then there could be some dissatisfaction but if there isn't then maybe Drance is doing more speculating than reporting.

Bingo!

I've yet to hear a current team member complain about ownership/management decisions.

But I've heard SEVERAL ex-Canucks complain about various media in the city sadly - ironic that media will bring up this bs conjecture about players being unhappy but willfully ignore actual players complaining about them. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no thats a you problem. I see the donut, you see the hole. 

Except it's not true, and you're going to believe whatever you want to believe.

Do I need to make a list of all the things I like about the Canucks and put in my signature to justify any "negative" posts I make or something?

5 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Wasn't it Hughes who was crying earlier in the year about having all these new faces around this year, I'm pretty sure that was a sign of not happy with the GM with what they've done. 

But now when a reporter mentions it, everyone's like no that can't be true, he doesn't know anything, he can't even talk to the players, blah blah blah.

You guys are in denial :lol:

This guy gets it. Classic CDC bowing at the feet of Benning. He can do no wrong. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Bingo!

I've yet to hear a current team member complain about ownership/management decisions.

But I've heard SEVERAL ex-Canucks complain about various media in the city sadly - ironic that media will bring up this bs conjecture about players being unhappy but willfully ignore actual players complaining about them. 

I missed the interviews that players said they’re  happy with him being allowed to stay 

I did read that demko made a plea for Clarke but not so much for Jb or green.

Huh. 
but must just be the big bad media. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Convincing John said:

Stop using bad managers to support your narrative. 

Ok. 

Then show me good GMs that turned things around in 7 years that had an aging team to begin with, inherited almost zero NHL calibre prospects, and is a playoff contender now in 2021.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Friedman says Benning is coming back, but in what capacity?  IMO, the best case scenario would be as Director of Amateur Scouting ("DofAS")...but who am I kidding?  Benning is obviously coming back as GM and President Hockey Ops.

I'm in the camp that believes Benning's paygrade is that of DofAS.  He's done a great job of stocking the team with young talent and the next wave of prospects, but IMO, for the Canucks to move to the next level, they need someone who is more strategic and tactical.  The Canucks have a solid core and an abundance of young assets that they can monetize, and I believe they need someone who can manage these to benefit the team. And more importantly, someone who is more astute at assessing talent at the NHL and AHL levels.

I'm not surprised Benning is coming back, but would be lying if I didn't say I'm disappointed he's back for his eighth season as GM.  I've been in support of Benning for his entire time here until 2-3 months ago.

He's coming back as general manager and coach.

Think of the dollars that will save!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Toffoli isn’t comparing a different organizations failures to our organizations methods of team building to prove that signing a $30M bottom 6 is essential or you’ll be Buffalo. 

Toffoli actually played on this team

last year

And we gave futures up for him 

last year

and he signed with another team for a year longer than the Roussel contract. 

Toffoli probably Benning’s most embarrassing moment as a GM and this happened LAST season. Lol

The trade happened before Covid.  The salary cap was projected to be at least $83M.  Toffoli was brought in to make the playoffs cuz Boeser was injured at the time.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He is actually exactly the kind of top 6 forward the Canucks lack.

He is a dbag but his teammates seem to like him. I have heard nothing to suggest he is a culture killer.

So, under your theory, the Canucks are a mess and Horvat is not helping?

One guy isnt responsible for the faults of the GM whether it is the Flames or the Canucks. 

no, my theory is Tkachuck is an ass. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, combover said:

I missed the interviews that players said they’re  happy with him being allowed to stay 

I did read that demko made a plea for Clarke but not so much for Jb or green.

Huh. 
but must just be the big bad media. 

Now your just being disingenuous. 

The players can be mad without going public just like the players can be happy without going public.

Also Demko wants his coach re-signed, not like JB needs a new contract and Green's status is less consequential to a goalie. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Except it's not true, and you're going to believe whatever you want to believe.

Do I need to make a list of all the things I like about the Canucks and put in my signature to justify any "negative" posts I make or something?

honestly I don't think I've ever seen you write a positive post 

• Cheers 1