The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Yeah but the opportunity to sign Toffoli on a really good deal was there and it was an opportunity management didn't seize. 

Also right or wrong, if one of Benning's move during the off season is to sign a Top 6 winger the deal he signs is going to be compared with the deal Toffoli got for Montreal.

Let's put it this way if this off-season Benning sings Matt Hoffman to a 5 year 5 million dollar contract. It's going be compared with Toffoli's contract with Montreal.

We didn't have the cap space to sign Toffoli, that is because the 5 million increase in the cap that the Canucks were expecting when they traded for Toffoli, vanished with Covid. All teams felt the crunch and will continue to for at least another 2 years.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yet you're ironically (though unsurprisingly) arguing the opposite in the what to pay Petey/Hughes thread...

Carry on :lol:

What does paying your actual good players what they are worth have to do with relying on best case scenario cap planning?

If you dont waste a ton of cap in other areas you dont have to rely on yearly cap increases to do so.

Your argument makes no sense. I would rather my team have the cap space to overpay impact players if you have to ratger than overpay middling players and cheap out on star players. Its kind of common sense.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep - Pretty much correct.   Things would have been fine with one or Tanev or TT if the pandemic didn't occur as well. 

As much as having Tanev back would have been nice (mostly just for stability with Hughes), realistically he was never signing for the reported 2 year term we were offering (nor, realistically, should he). He, like Marky was likely never realistically coming back.

Toffoli I'm 50/50 on. He fit well here, would certainly have helped in the near-mid term and follows JB's plan of supporting the roster while rebuilding (which I agree with). But I also agree with you that we might be better off saving that sort of move for 2'ish years from then to take greater advantage of the core's actual window. And that is also a position where we have the greatest organizational depth and is easiest to fill via FA or trade.

In the end he would have been a nice luxury if we could have moved some cap, before he (understandably) felt pressure to sign elsewhere. Doesn't overwhelmingly change the general trend or direction of the club though one way or the other.

Edited by aGENT

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

What does paying your actual good players what they are worth have to do with relying on best case scenario cap planning?

If you dont waste a ton of cap in other areas you dont have to rely on yearly cap increases to do so.

Your argument makes no sense. I would rather my team have the cap space to overpay impact players if you have to ratger than overpay middling players and cheap out on star players. Its kind of common sense.

You're a smart guy, I'm sure you can figure it out if you really think about it ;)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

10 people at the fire J.B. protest. 

Yet the media and some fans on this site will try to tell you that the fanbase is outraged and in turmoil of the direction of the club.

10 people

10 people

10 people

10 people

Did I mention 10 people?

I know, I was looking at those photos and ...:lol::lol::lol:

:bigblush:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Fred65 said:

Thank heavens common sense prevailed, gathering groups of people during our fight with Covid was recognized

I doubt very much the was the issue. A good percentage of that 'mob' wasn't even wearing masks... I have a feeling there's some overlap there...:bigblush:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I doubt very much the was the issue. A good percentage of that 'mob' wasn't even wearing masks... I have a feeling there's some overlap there...:bigblush:

Says it all those that turned up were Covid deniers, in simple terms idiots

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Just roll with the kids and fill in any holes next offseason.

Given the current state of this team, this is the recipe for success in my books

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Which is why planning around significant cap increases every year is just a bad idea.

Why?  Was he supposed to see a global pandemic coming?  That's ridiculous.  He planned for the yearly projected rise of the cap.  Ultimately it won't have much of an impact in the long run.  They had a solid progression up to this year, this year was a joke anyway and they get a top 10 pick out of it and in the next two years pretty much all those vet contracts are off the books and they're back on track.

Really, this was a perfect year to go through this and get another high pick they likely wouldn't have in a normal year 

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Why?  Was he supposed to see a global pandemic coming?  That's ridiculous.  He planned for the yearly projected rise of the cap.  Ultimately it won't have much of an impact in the long run.  They had a solid progression up to this year, this year was a joke anyway and they get a top 10 pick out of it and in the next two years pretty much all those vet contracts are off the books and they're back on track.

Really, this was a perfect year to go through this and get another high pick they likely wouldn't have in a normal year 

It has nothing to do with predicting a pandemic. It has to do with being conservative in your planning rather than counting on increases that might not be there due to circumstances outside your control.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It has nothing to do with predicting a pandemic. It has to do with being conservative in your planning rather than counting on increases that might not be there due to circumstances outside your control.

You keep talking as if their planning is that black and white. It’s not. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The Canucks are one of those teams that spend to the Cap. If they didn't many of you would be saying, they could have signed this and that guy for whatever $$$$ is left. I believe the Cap was heading close to $86M prior to the pandemic.

7 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

The Canucks are one of those teams that spend to the Cap. If they didn't many of you would be saying, they could have signed this and that guy for whatever $$$$ is left. I believe the Cap was heading close to $86M prior to the pandemic.

$83m was more realistic but still enough to make Toffoli work had covid not happened