The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Ian Clark aside, I feel like Green and his crew are the equivalent of what Denis Savard and his crew were to the Blackhawks. 

You know that coach that's really great at helping young players grow and mature, but then they need someone else to push them over the top and get the absolute best out of them.  Just like when Quenneville took over.  I remember how emotional players got when Savard was let go (i.e. Kane crying during an interview), but don't think anyone was complaining after they won those 3 cups

1 minute ago, snipes2539 said:

Ian Clark aside, I feel like Green and his crew are the equivalent of what Denis Savard and his crew were to the Blackhawks. 

You know that coach that's really great at helping young players grow and mature, but then they need someone else to push them over the top and get the absolute best out of them.  Just like when Quenneville took over.  I remember how emotional players got when Savard was let go (i.e. Kane crying during an interview), but don't think anyone was complaining after they won those 3 cups

Chicago is also a good example of how a GM change helped push them over the top from rebuilding to cup winning.

1 minute ago, snipes2539 said:

(un)fortunately, there aren't any joel quenneville's on the market. nothing even close. 

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Wasn’t that around the time Tallon forgot to hand out qualifying offers to his RFAs?:P

Sounds about right hahaha

Eerily similar to how Jim got so focused on OEL last summer he forgot to talk to any of our pending UFAs

And how Jim got so focused on signing bottom 6 UFAs he forgot about cap space

Sad Koala GIF

Edited by awalk
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

We had such a good year they decided to do it all again?    Well, Clark may not be back so we may see a drop in goal tending.

I was hoping that they would put a real president in place. Maybe replace Weisbrod .

I guess Jim will be given the purse stings for another year. Can't wait to see how this goes.

Do you mean you can't wait to see it fail?  Seems like that given your posts.  Noticed 2288 has gone into hiding so props for not disappearing.   Personally given the amount of the older generations that probably even log on to this site - it seems like there is a small minority of circle jerk JB/TG haters that just can't wait to get their toy.   Maybe wait until your in your late 40's to 70's and consider those fans.   Anyone born 1990 or older has only seen the best this franchise has had to offer.   Funny thing too, nobody but SJ won more games from 2000-2014.    Sky isn't falling.   It just is back to normal operating procedure.   Wait for two cores and get another cup run.   Only thing is with expansion it's making it a lot tougher and we have to add a few years.   JB has exceeded my expectations so far.   At least there is a chance we can do something with this core.   And a great chance with parts of this and the next one - right on par for the course.   Just hope if we lose in the next final fans won't burn the city down. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

Just now, DS4quality said:

Quennville 2 years ago, but they chose to stay with Green..

just because the guy was temporarily out of work doesn't mean he was available. q gets to pick his spot, and he chose florida for a reason. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, tas said:

just because the guy was temporarily out of work doesn't mean he was available. q gets to pick his spot, and he chose florida for a reason. 

Yes you are right, but you can't get a new coach if you don't try

18 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

We overhauled our defense last summer and didn't have any practice time to bring new players up to speed. I'm not saying that there's not room for improvement, but let's see how they do next season with a full exhibition schedule as well as some further adjustments this summer.

Was impressed with Rathbone in his brief time with the team. I think he's ready for the NHL, and he plays a little different style than Hughes. Seems to be a little more physical, very fast, but not quite the same maneuverability as Hughes. Maybe a little better / harder shot from the point than Hughes as well.

Encouraged by Rathbone but still concerned about years of brutal stats regardless of personnel.  Players that succeed elsewhere come here and struggle.  Some acclimation is expected but  ot to the extent it happens here.  I think this coaching staff has had enough time to show what they can deliver and it's time for a fresh approach. 

Green was the last non-player the Canucks needed to turf.   He's done a good job with what he's been given.  Once JB was assured to be back.....no reason at all to change the head coach.   And I suspect that his assistant coaches are coming back too.  (I'd prefer a change there too) It would be quite unusual for ownership or even management to demand new assistants if the coach is happy with who he has already.  No coach who is fine with his assistants want to send them to the unemployment line. In fact, their employment very likely was part of Green's demands.

Those of us not happy with the "day-to-day" JB staying, and playing with more of the Canucks cap money especially in this coming crucial time in the team's development, have to hope for the best.  If JB's continued employment was partially because the owners felt guilty for JB taking all the blame when they knew they helped steer his priorities, that is NOT a great reason to keep him, almost as a shield.  And if so, it also doesn't look good on JB for accepting that kind of role.

But it is what it is.  Now I'd just like to see more voices hired in the front office. A team President with Cup experience would be great.  I'm concerned that they continue to purposely avoid every Cup experienced executive available around North America, and only are listening to local hockey vets like Courtnall, the Steamer, and the Sedins for advice. Non binding, behind closed door advice.  It cannot continue to be a team run from an owner's penthouse.  We need outside hiring of a real gud hockey mind, one that even the Aqualini's would feel intimidated to second question.  But can Francesco put his boyhood dream of GMing a hockey team aside to do that? 

If you love something, let it go........be run by professionals

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1