The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign Travis Green to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

32 minutes ago, nux_win said:

So by that reasoning every team that has a losing record MUST fire their coach or they're being stupid?  Yes, win-loss is an important stat but there are other things to go by as well.  I want the Canucks to win as much as anybody but I think Green does too.  I'm OK with the extension.  This season was a weird one and I think everyone who cares about the Canucks is disappointed but I'm prepared to give the team a mulligan (just this once, cough, cough).  Let's see what next season brings.  Optimism isn't the only ingredient for winning either but it does help.  Go Canucks Go!

My sentiments exactly. People forget our playoff run last year. And they also forget that we had a 8-2 run in March before the wheels fell off. Covid and injuries to 8 regulars were too much to overcome. Green can't be blamed for those. Without covid and the injuries (to Petey especially), we might've seen a different result... the playoffs certainly. And we wouldn't be having this conversation about the coaching staff. I'm optimistic for our team next season too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, yes we can nucks said:

It's not easy being Green. But happy he's coming back. The down side is we'll have to put up with more FIRE GREEN!

That’s up to him, if the team does well I’ll shut up but seems you’re prepared for more losing, at least we have that in common.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

That’s up to him, if the team does well I’ll shut up but seems you’re prepared for more losing, at least we have that in common.

It's a given there will be more losing. I don't expect a perfect season. But I do expect a winning, contending season. I don't want you to shut up. I don't take your Fire Green seriously. Just comic relief..and a dumb comment from a dumb nuck. :P

2 hours ago, awalk said:

Chicago is also a good example of how a GM change helped push them over the top from rebuilding to cup winning.

and losing a bad owner, and winning a lottery

• Cheers 1

I wish the best for the team, but sadly have to say, I see this as a failure reinforcing another failure.

My expectation is for more underachieving.

My best hope is both Benning and Green will be fired in 2023 when Benning's extension expires.

However, unfortunately this team seems to be following the Oiler pattern... and it may take 10 years of failure for the penny to drop.

There also may be a deeper rot... ownership may be the real problem.

I will continue to cheer for the Canucks... but will reduce the time I spend following the team.

I will be cancelling my Hockey Channel subscriptions and won't go to any games. 

I don't enjoy the feeling I get watching a team underachieve because of mediocre coaching or reading about another meh trade as the GM tinkers the team into irrelevance.

Good luck to everyone...  won't be posting here again.

1 minute ago, yes we can nucks said:

It's a given there will be more losing. I don't expect a perfect season. But I do expect a winning, contending season. I don't want you to shut up. I don't take your Fire Green seriously. Just comic relief..and a dumb comment from a dumb nuck. :P

Two questions:

If we miss the playoffs, fire Green, yes or no?

If we finish last in our division, fire Green, yes or no?

23 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Two questions:

If we miss the playoffs, fire Green, yes or no?

If we finish last in our division, fire Green, yes or no?

Yes and yes!

The thing is... I consider this season an anomaly with the team getting covid and having an abnormal number of injuries. So I'm willing to cut Green some slack. But if it's the same results next year under normal circumstances... or even if it's marginally better, then it will be time for a coaching change. Five years will be long enough for his kick at the can.

Edited by yes we can nucks
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, tas said:

if true, that's a relief. I'm ambivalent about baumer (though the way the players speak of him makes me want to defer to them), brown and king, but greener and clark were must-retains to me. 

lol, our standards sure have dropped if a losing record coach is a must-retains.  The guy has made the playoffs 3/8 times while in the Canucks organization and 1/4 at the NHL level and we need to keep him at all cost?!?

But apparently, it's all Brown and Baumer's fault lol

1 hour ago, awalk said:

Couple more things we could use! 

Whatever complaints, real or imagined, people have about the Aquilini's, they greatly pale in comparison to Bill Wirtz.  I don't pay close enough attention to know whether I want a change in Canucks ownership or not.

Winning the lottery would absolutely be nice for a change.