The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aggressive offseason

Rate this topic

ShawnAntoski

7 minutes ago, tas said:

you're setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Nah because I am expecting it not to be handled the way I suggest tbh.

Someone told me the other day that presenting ideas on what I think Benning should do instead of criticizing what history tells me he will likely do is a better approach.

So thats what I did :)

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

The blues suck since winning the cup. Giving binnington all that money was laughable at that one hit wonder. I really doubt it from the blues end, But i'd like to look at something around miller and O'reilly. Have EP move to the wing. Him and horvat as your 1/2 lmao 100% faceoffs

Frankly I couldn't care less if Dan Cloutier was paid a MAX contract the year after winning a Cup even if the contract was for 20 years in duration.  I could die a happy man seeing that Cup with the Vancouver Canucks team engraved on it.  **** what happens after.  You can't take that win away.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

he's already made his plan pretty clear, and say what you will about jim benning, but the man has no guile and will generally do (or at least make his best attempt to) what he states he's going to. 

he's going to be aggressive and he's going to throw money and term and assets around. he lives and dies by the result of the 2021-22 season, so he's gonna do his damnedest to stack the odds in his favour.

• Like 1

Just now, tas said:

he's already made his plan pretty clear, and say what you will about jim benning, but the man has no guile and will generally do (or at least make his best attempt to) what he states he's going to. 

he's going to be aggressive and he's going to throw money and term and assets around. he lives and dies by the result of the 2021-22 season, so he's gonna do his damnedest to stack the odds in his favour.

I dont disagree that this is the most likely approach.

I just feel like it will be more costly to the team if throwing money and term around is on players that dont end up being saviours. Which is incredibly unlikely for a team with this many holes.

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Frankly I couldn't care less if Dan Cloutier was paid a MAX contract the year after winning a Cup even if the contract was for 20 years in duration.  I could die a happy man seeing that Cup with the Vancouver Canucks team engraved on it.  **** what happens after.  You can't take that win away.

I can not wait till we win one, then lose in the 1st rd the next year. Hopefully with green and JB here. OH this place would explode

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Someone told me the other day that presenting ideas on what I think Benning should do instead of criticizing what history tells me he will likely do is a better approach.

So thats what I did :)

hey, no censorship attempt on my end. 

out of curiosity, if we say that we know benning is going to be aggressive via all available avenues, what would your approach be if you were him (again, on the basis that aggression is a given)? who would you target? mostly ufas, or more trades? take advantage of expansion vulnerable teams? what areas of the lineup would be your priority?

12 minutes ago, tas said:

out of curiosity, if we say that we know benning is going to be aggressive via all available avenues, what would your approach be if you were him (again, on the basis that aggression is a given)? who would you target? mostly ufas, or more trades? take advantage of expansion vulnerable teams? what areas of the lineup would be your priority?

Honestly, I am good with him being aggressive as long as its focused aggression.

It kind of depends on how much cap space he has. But i would much rather see him try to poach a couple of good young players who will be potentially lost by other teams in expansion.

Looking at our group, I would be fine if he could upgrade on Juolevi at D then would be fine with him leaving Myers or Juolevi unprotected to protect them. Or upgrade 2 and leave both exposed.

At forward though, he will be protecting EP, Horvat, Boeser, Miller, and he could easily have the spots to protect 3 upgrades if he leaves Pearson,  Motte, Lind, etc unprotected.

If he can get good upgrades through trade there, I would be ok with that.

I think with the expansion draft he could theoretically go for the fences there. I mean, Seattle can only take one player. So would it suck to lose Pearson or Myers, etc? Sure. But if Benning swings for the fences and gets 3, 4, 5 good players then leaves those veteran guys like Pearson exposed, he is only losing one anyway. As long as he upgrades at forward and D doing so with younger guys who fit the cores timeline, any loss there is acceptable to me.

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, tas said:

I think there are certain areas that are critical needs. A top flight 3C and a top pairing RHD.

Having said that, I would be ok with him accumulating top 6 and top 4 d quality players no matter the position. It will push other guys down the lineup or give him assets to use to fill holes.

I really see an opportunity for strategic aggression.

UFA signings especially for bottom 6 depth guys I would focus only on 1 year deals without ntc. Worst case the team sucks next year and he moves them at the deadline and sets himself up with the assets and cap to make deals next offseason.

I know the plan is to be competitive, make the playoffs, etc. And as a fan I am hoping for that outcome. But I know I will feel much more comfortable with Benning as GM if he sets the team up to take advantage of the situation next offseason if that doesnt happen. Being aggressive this offseason, if done the best way, does not have to mean only one outcome - making the playoffs - will be necessary for the season to be considered a success. 

Thats just my opinion on it. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I consider 1979 to be the first year i followed the team where i was old enough to actually be a fan.

A lot of fans supported the team through previous eras. But there was a lot more risk financially to the team in the past. To the point where they could not risk a true rebuild at various times even though it was probably a better solution.

The Keenan/Messier era will never be surpassed as the worst in franchise history to me. Even though it did set the stage for future successful eras when you look back. It was just such a negative environment. And the team they dismantled had that "It factor" to it that i still think would have led to a cup in the next few years had they not torpedoed it.

Yes it certainly was hard times.   Going from a few short years away from that run with a more mature team to whammo was shocking to say the least. Plus Ohlund came and looked great (think out 94 pick).  Ugh.   Somewhere in some multiverse Canuck fans enjoy those what-if memories, and all the extra statues outside.    Feel the clincher was not re-upping Ronning and then failing on WG.   Doubt he would have done anything other then help us win.  Quin did his best.   But man ouch. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I like your line up ideas.  Could Lind of Gads play wing, thus allowing Miller to play centre?  Or is it best to resign ?Sutter for two years providing the cap hit is 2.5 or less?  

I'm gonna get roasted, but I think Gadj still needs to work extremely hard on his skating/agility.  Of he can do that I'd love to see him in the line up.  

A big no to Sutter unless it's on a short term deal to play 4th line C/PK which he could imo look pretty good doing.  

I've thought Miller as the third C option, but he's such an impact player he ought to get top 6 ice time, or, if he's going to be the full utility guy (pk/pp) then it would make sense for him to play less mins normally 5 on 5.  Green could always shift guys around as well.  

6 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Jim is in a no win situation here.

Do nothing and let the bad contract run out will have the fanbase up in arms over 2 playoffs in 8 years.

Be aggressive and have the fanbase up in arms about mortgaging the future, cap space, no plan, asset management, etc. 

Unless the team wins the cup, not even a conference final will satisfy a good portion of the fanbase with complaints of one and done.

Imo if JB can pull off some suave moves similar to Schmidt and Hamonic, heck even move LE in a way that doesn't enrage the fan base he could make some noise.

• Cheers 1

Man, it’s been so long since I had sympathy sex, it’s tough after being busy all season. It’s gotten so bad I bought a bumper sticker for my car that says “honk if you’re horny”.

Im going out and gonna sit through some green lights, hope it works.

13 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Hope Aquaman, JB and the rest of the front office will look into the history of other teams that had chosen to go on a spending spree in the off season at the cost of unknow lottery tickets in the form of prospects & picks.  Some had said that it takes drafted players 3 - 5 years to be fully NHL ready but there are also the chance a drafted player can buck the the trend and give the org an impactful player on the cheap with out overpaying for it through trades or FA - I get it, it is about the percentages. 

The Laffs seasons under Burkie till now can perhaps offer a glimpse of how this offseason will eventually end up in full (organizational) rebuild in the end; although, the teams young cores will probably be able to buck the trend (?) and keep it inline with JBs' timeline cause just as the case, with the Canucks when Burkie came in the Laffs prospects pool was bare and there was no young core to build around.   

Sidenote: One of Burkies' first move was to trade two first for Kessel (21 yr old at the time) which resulted in a #2 in 2010 (Seguin) and #9 in 2011 (Hamilton) as major parts.  The Bruins team that made that trade (also) included JB as one of AGM, perhaps he can look back at that transaction and see how it benefitted the Bruins roster long term.

Just hoping a for a balance offseason; and I understand that there is already a very similar post but would like to see others take - given my post.

We should model our retool around Blues and Bruins (as I alluded to in another thread).

I somehow don't think this is the offseason to be overly aggressive. This offseason should be to fill major holes and continue to infuse the youth. 

We have an asset in the form of 9th overall pick (or 10th) and Schmidt to hopefully fill major hole on RD and 3C.

I'd first explore to see if any young RD is available due to Seattle expansion. I highly highly doubt he'd be available but maybe a player like Cernak? I'd be willing to part with a #9 overall for a young RD that can be part of the core for years to come. But I doubt Tampa trades Cernak -- I'm guessing they will protect him and expose Foote or McDonagh. If they trade Cernak, they still need to expose one of Foot/McDonagh, which means they lose two defencemen rather than one.

If nothing comes up, make a pick at #9, who knows if we will get our Dougie Hamilton at #9.

And then look into the UFA and trade market for RD and 3C.

There are some decent RD options as well as 3C in the UFA market.

I actually like Phillip Danault, if we can clear enough cap he could be a 3C?

There are some issues on wing but I think those are a bit easier to fill than 3C and RD.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, khay said:

We should model our retool around Blues and Bruins (as I alluded to in another thread).

I somehow don't think this is the offseason to be overly aggressive. This offseason should be to fill major holes and continue to infuse the youth. 

We have an asset in the form of 9th overall pick (or 10th) and Schmidt to hopefully fill major hole on RD and 3C.

I'd first explore to see if any young RD is available due to Seattle expansion. I highly highly doubt he'd be available but maybe a player like Cernak? I'd be willing to part with a #9 overall for a young RD that can be part of the core for years to come. But I doubt Tampa trades Cernak -- I'm guessing they will protect him and expose Foote or McDonagh. If they trade Cernak, they still need to expose one of Foot/McDonagh, which means they lose two defencemen rather than one.

If nothing comes up, make a pick at #9, who knows if we will get our Dougie Hamilton at #9.

And then look into the UFA and trade market for RD and 3C.

There are some decent RD options as well as 3C in the UFA market.

I actually like Phillip Danault, if we can clear enough cap he could be a 3C?

There are some issues on wing but I think those are a bit easier to fill than 3C and RD.

Yeah, will look into the Blue history abit more. 

9 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Would be kind of funny if jimbo brings toffoli back on the cheap though. anderson/gally 1/2 RW and little cole needing some icetime as well.

Toffoli had 28 goals in 56 games and is on an affordable deal. They’re not trading him back to Vancouver. That ship has sailed. Time to forget about it and move on 

16 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Jim is in a no win situation here.

Do nothing and let the bad contract run out will have the fanbase up in arms over 2 playoffs in 8 years.

Be aggressive and have the fanbase up in arms about mortgaging the future, cap space, no plan, asset management, etc. 

Unless the team wins the cup, not even a conference final will satisfy a good portion of the fanbase with complaints of one and done.

He made his bed.

so your right he has two choices screw this teams future by trading picks to get rid of his mistakes 

however then he wants to be “ aggressive” which would indicate he wants to use the cap to sign more players. It’s those  players that better pay off ten fold,hes used all of his mulligans and then some. 

or 

let the team hes built play and most likely lose his job since his capped out build is a proven failure to this point. 

Time for him to prove all us anti-Bennings wrong because in 7 season hes proved us all right. 
hence another top ten pick for a team with no depth direction or identity at any position. 

4 minutes ago, combover said:

He made his bed.

so your right he has two choices screw this teams future by trading picks to get rid of his mistakes 

however then he wants to be “ aggressive” which would indicate he wants to use the cap to sign more players. It’s those  players that better pay off ten fold,hes used all of his mulligans and then some. 

or 

let the team hes built play and most likely lose his job since his capped out build is a proven failure to this point. 

Time for him to prove all us anti-Bennings wrong because in 7 season hes proved us all right. 
hence another top ten pick for a team with no depth direction or identity at any position. 

Would you prefer that during our rebuilding phase, which we were in, we don’t have top ten draft pick?  How would we rebuild a young core without high picks?  

I think Benning has showed he is a better GM when he has less money to spend. I worry about him being desperate and opening up contract space and looking to move pieces. 
At least he generally drafts well on the first couple rounds and has done well with RFa contracts especially since the epic failure of the Sutter contract.

UFAs concern me greatly with him at the wheel especially if he is looking to try to buy yet another 3rd line centre as he has an incredibly poor record at that.