The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on donnie and dhali

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

57 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Thanks for the Cole's notes - but one point regarding Virtanen - Benning simply says that the matter is in police hands at this point and they'll 'know when they know'.  the part about just terminating him instead of having to pay him/buyout - is your assumption / wasn't said.

a few other liberties taken in paraphrasing/adding things that weren't said (not sure I heard any references to Tryamkin's wife - or Clark "not wanting to go anywhere" - think being accurate helps - but whatever - I generally agree with your sentiment regardless.

I'm making an assumption / speculation on all of this and reading between the lines of what I believe is Benning trying to be politically correct. There was no reference to Tryamkin's wife, but in his interview, he seemed to be fully committed to a career in the NHL, and Benning did indicate that Tryamkin's decision is at least partially, family based. My guess is, she wants to stay in Russia, from my standpoint, it's not a knock against her or him, it's him trying to do what's right for his family, which should always come first.

I'm usually pretty good at putting the pieces together from what's not directly said, when things are said in a vague way.

I really believe that Virtanen is done here, and that if the Police investigation is taking too long to draw to a conclusion, the Canucks won't wait for it, they will just buy him out and move on. Time will tell if I'm right or not, as I could be completely full of @&!T :) 

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Thanks for posting this, @Bertuzzipunch, here's my takeaways on it:

Benning is the most open guy that I think we've ever had as a GM in Vancouver, but BOY is he boring to listen to!

#1. They are waiting to see if the police charge Virtanen so that they could just terminate his contract instead of having to pay him anything further through a buyout.

#2. Juolevi will be a full time guy next year, provided he regains the weight and conditioning that he had before Covid

#3. Sedins will be at our table at the draft (assuming that there is a open floor draft this summer).

#4. He's really hedging his bets on resigning Edler and doesn't want to commit to the idea as they may walk away from him.

#5. Podkolzin will be signed before the middle of June

#6. Ian Clark will be staying and doesn't want to go anywhere, its just a matter of finalizing whether there will be other changes in the coaching staff.

#7. Tryamkin didn't have a wife to keep happy, when he told the Canucks at the draft, that he wanted to be in the NHL and has likely decided to play his whole career in the KHL.

#8. NO ONE has asked for a trade, the media is doing what it always does, its making $&!# up to generate clicks and readers.

Personally, I still believe in Benning, I believe that the team is heading the right way and that this season was an anomaly and that we will be in much better shape next season.

I listened to the interview and at no point did I hear Benning say that Clark will be staying..?.He sounded optimistic, but thats miles from what you quoted.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I listened to the interview and at no point did I hear Benning say that Clark will be staying..?.He sounded optimistic, but thats miles from what you quoted.

There's no guarantee until it's done. Fans are running around having a conniption, acting like he's already gone. Benning confirmed in the interview that there has been communication and that they are working on it. At least, that's what I heard.

Clark is from Vancouver, I'm speculating, but I doubt that he would want to move from his home city, during a Pandemic.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

There's no guarantee until it's done. Fans are running around having a conniption, acting like he's already gone. Benning confirmed in the interview that there has been communication and that they are working on it. At least, that's what I heard.

Clark is from Vancouver, I'm speculating, but I doubt that he would want to move from his home city, during a Pandemic.

I think his home is in florida

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

he said "we're going to get something done with Ian."

not try to, but going to. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

33 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I think his home is in florida

Plus Florida will be trying to rebuild Bobrovsky and they have one of the best goalie prospects in the league.

Benning better not drag his feet on this or a team like Florida will scoop him up.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Plus Florida will be trying to rebuild Bobrovsky and they have one of the best goalie prospects in the league.

Benning better not drag his feet on this or a team like Florida will scoop him up.

careful, if you look closely and ignore science, the sky actually IS falling.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Still makes no sense signing bob to that contract.... and then drafting knight.

• Cheers 2

Glad to hear Clark will be staying

moving on from edler would be great I really hope they don’t resign him. 

podz Oj in the line up next year and hopefully rathbone too. 

still have zero confidence hes the right guy to put a full team together.

But I like what he had to say. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Maddogy said:

J.B. is at the very least an average G.M. The problem then is if you fire him, how certain are you that you can find someone better? We've seem a a lot of teams  that go through changes in management and coaching staff and they are still underwhelming. 

People think that if you fire a G.M., someone better will magically show up. If you quit your job, a better job is just around the corner. If you divorce your spouse, your soul mate is waiting at the altar for you. Yes but at what level of certainty?

The risk is, if J.B. is fired they may hire someone that really end up ruining the rebuild and screw up this generation of Vancouver Canucks. 

Well if you divorce your spouse at least there is this waiting for you around the corner ... like GM envy it quite likely will just end in shame. Jersey Shore Mike GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

Pretty much. The Vancouver media love to go into full on jackal mode when they smell blood...even when there ain’t much blood to smell.

Drance and Patterson, Sekeres and Price have become insufferable since 1040’s demise. Gotta be negative to get those podcast hits I guess. 

I sometimes forget that.   Being away for a decade now and not exposed to that.  Instead i'm exposed to the "eastern bias" media which over the last three years has really nothing but good things to say about the Canucks.   Strange how different markets see other markets so differently then their own. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Donnie and Dhali always great. Give them a like and a sub on YouTube. 

Support these guys. Best Canucks media. 

Million times better than Donnie and Fat Guy at the buffet stuffing his face...or Donnie and the Plagiarist.  With Dhali, Donnie is probably breathing a sigh of relief that he doesn't have to carry the goofball Moj and the clown Pratt.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Million times better than Donnie and Fat Guy at the buffet stuffing his face...or Donnie and the Plagiarist.  With Dhali, Donnie is probably breathing a sigh of relief that he doesn't have to carry the goofball Moj and the clown Pratt.

Dhali breaths into the mic heavily 

• Haha 1