The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade or Keep the pick

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Trade or Keep the pick OMG  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

34 minutes ago, shiznak said:

From an organization standpoint we should keep the pick. However, I’m guessing Benning’s tenure as GM is on a very short leash from the owners. He’s only made the playoff twice in his 7 years, and time isn’t on his side, atm.

He should make this pick available.

There’s still Free Agency, where he can add to the team. 

5 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

If someone like TB would trade Cernak (24 years old, 6'3", $2.95 million remaining for 2 years, shutdown RHD) I'd probably swap that 1st.  If no one of that caliber is available then we pick #9 and I hope we take McTavish.

It would be easier move for them too if they won another cup. 

If we luck out and pick up some puck possession guys like Johnson in this draft we’ll be in better spot than trading the pick.  Most of the top 11 in this draft is less than two years away from making their debut and you get to keep them on the cheap for the first part of their careers .. hopefully Canucks feel the same way 

Edited by Sedinyoureyesontheprize
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

You think McTavish will be gone before 9? 

Which team do you think would take him? L.A.? 

1. Sabres: Power
  2. Kraken: Beniers
  3. Ducks: Guenther
  4. Devils: Hughes
  5. Jackets: McTavish
  6. Wings: Wallstedt?
  7. Sharks: Eklund
  8. Kings: Clarke
  9. Canucks: Johnson, Edvinsson, or perhaps someone falls to them?

50 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Cuz his track record signing UFA's is just stellar.....:picard:

Who wants a 6x6? Anyone?

All joking aside people including GMs should learn free agency = overpayment. Have to be really careful at that time of year often doesn't work.

Pick will be available, but I don't think there will be a lot of interest, or at least no big deals that will make it worthwhile.

Honestly, a deal makes more sense if the 9th was package along with something else for a big ticket item (Seth Jones) rather than a 1-for-1. I'd also trade down picks if we could acquire a solid player, but again I don't find that likely.

Keep the pick because the trade offers are unlikely to be worth it.

I would lean to keeping the pick but still make it available. It depends on who the Canucks value in their top 10 and who is available when #9 rolls around. They will probably have offers on the table before the draft. At 9, you make a decision whether or not the trade is worth the player at 9. If by some chance Clarke is available, one would think they take it. If they are to make a trade, I hope it is for a RHD with size.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

maybe they would trade foote and joseph. tb is over the cap although they will probably move a high priced forward.

Tampa will be in cap hell next season so maybe a defenceman and a forward are in play or a possible trade. If Cernak and Cirelli or Killorn were included I would consider that a fair deal for our 9OA pick. That trade would address our two biggest needs at quality RD and second line LW.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Schmautzie said:

Tampa will be in cap hell next season so maybe a defenceman and a forward are in play or a possible trade. If Cernak and Cirelli or Killorn were included I would consider that a fair deal for our 9OA pick. That trade would address our two biggest needs at quality RD and second line LW.

If we could get Cernak and Cirelli for our 9 OA and a prospect that is ED exempt I’d be ecstatic! 

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I would lean to keeping the pick but still make it available. It depends on who the Canucks value in their top 10 and who is available when #9 rolls around. They will probably have offers on the table before the draft. At 9, you make a decision whether or not the trade is worth the player at 9. If by some chance Clarke is available, one would think they take it. If they are to make a trade, I hope it is for a RHD with size.

Totally agree. Unless JB is blown away by a pre-draft offer I really hopes he waits until he sees who’s available at 9OA. It would be a shame to have someone like Edvinsson or Clarke fall to them but to have traded the chance away.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

Totally agree. Unless JB is blown away by a pre-draft offer I really hopes he waits until he sees who’s available at 9OA. It would be a shame to have someone like Edvinsson or Clarke fall to them but to have traded the chance away.

I really don’t think Benning will trade that top pick until the pick comes up on the draft floor.  He’d have to have a great offer to move that pick earlier than when the puck comes up.  

Keep all the picks, continue to  build the cheap depth with talented rookies through the draft and stop signing great intangible players to term & cost.  

Last years Flakes should provide some caution before implementing an aggressive offseason strategy cause it doesn't guarantee anything.  Probably, it would be more prudent to see what system Shaw can implement first before making any major roster moves at the cost of (finite) future assets.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2