The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks Interested in Tyler Bertuzzi

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

He’s got no prospects other than Seider.  No goalie.  No centres.  He’s 5 years out at least.  

Yea if you look at their drafting since Benning started with the Canucks…. Detroits drafting has been one of the worst. They are a looong way away from being a contender, let alone a competitive team.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

The goal is not to become a playoff team. The goal is to become a Stanley Cup Contender year after year. Like the old Redwings or the current Tampa Bay team. 

I think Y and the Wings get there before we do. He's only been there 2 years.

Detroit has a looong ways to go before being a contender.  

He’s gotta rebuild from scratch through the draft. No guarantees him and his Detroit scouts find success there.

Probably gonna take 6 or 7 drafts to find all the pieces he needs. And then you have to convince UFAs to sign in Detroit. Not an easy task if you’re not a contender.

The Canucks on the other hand already have some of the toughest pieces to acquire in place and a steady flow of young prospects continuing to filter into the lineup.

The Red Wings and Lightning built their rosters “the right way” through good scouting and development of prospects throughout the draft, not just through tanking or “being patient”

Benning has cut some corners here and there but he’s doing the exact same thing Detroit did building their rosters.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He’s got no prospects other than Seider.  No goalie.  No centres.  He’s 5 years out at least.  

Yep and getting an elite center and goalie aren’t easy to acquire.

He may go through 2 or 3 drafts before he finds either one of those.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He could get his goalie this draft if he takes Wallstedt at 6.  

25 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

The goal is not to become a playoff team. The goal is to become a Stanley Cup Contender year after year. Like the old Redwings or the current Tampa Bay team. 

I think Y and the Wings get there before we do. He's only been there 2 years.

His first draft pick for DET was Moritz Seider 6th overall in 2019. We picked Podkolzin 10th.

You've got to become a playoff team before you become a SC contender. Detroit is a ways off.

You think they will get there. Opinions are always welcome.

Yes we picked Podkolzin.Cant wait to see him play next season.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No guarantees he’ll be a starter.

We’ve seen goalies like Bernier and Campbell go high and they never really became legit starters.

I don’t think Detroit takes the goalie I think they go for a center like McTavish.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

No guarantees he’ll be a starter.

We’ve seen goalies like Bernier and Campbell go high and they never really became legit starters.

I don’t think Detroit takes the goalie I think they go for a center like McTavish.

McTavish is a cant miss pick.  He’s going to be a matchup minute muncher.  A player teams win with.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

McTavish is a cant miss pick.  He’s going to be a matchup minute muncher.  A player teams win with.  

Might not be a first line center though.

My point is any pick can miss. That’s why it can take a couple failed drafts before getting those pieces.

7 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

thank you!

as for people that think its just so simple to trade two 7m contracts. your BS crazy. on top of that?

why the heck would the sedins want to be traded, they loved it here. they did not owe JB anything and they had a family.

Yup. The only teams which could take on that much cap, even for one season, would be someplace like Butthole Whereevertheheckitis which would be at the bottom of the standings, and why would they do such a thing without an incentive from Vancouver to take those contracts, rather than want to give up significant assets? And why would the Sedins want to finish up their careers in such a place?

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Also looking at goalies taken top 10 in the last 20 years.

DiPietro (1st)

Leclaire (8th)

Lehtonen (2nd)

Fleury (1st)

Montoya (6th)

Price (5th)

Looking at that list is not too inspiring. You better hope that Wallstedt is of the Fleury and Price franchise changing level if you’re taking him at 6th.

That’s why I don’t see Yzerman taking Wallstedt unless he trades down or acquires another 10-15 pick.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Steve Y is rebuilding a new core. He got a great deal done at tdl.  He'll continue to gather top picks and prospects. 

I also expect Y to add a couple of skilled Russian players to the roster, via draft most likely. 

I think DET becomes a legit contender sooner than us. Y will do it the right way.  He won't try to rush things and make bad trades or sign bad contracts. He'll be patient and go into top end UFA market when the new core is ready and fully developed.

Whatever Yzerman does, also needs to be looked through the lens with what he inherited.   Holland plus Yzerman vs JB as far as comps go.  

52 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Also looking at goalies taken top 10 in the last 20 years.

DiPietro (1st)

Leclaire (8th)

Lehtonen (2nd)

Fleury (1st)

Montoya (6th)

Price (5th)

Looking at that list is not too inspiring. You better hope that Wallstedt is of the Fleury and Price franchise changing level if you’re taking him at 6th.

That’s why I don’t see Yzerman taking Wallstedt unless he trades down or acquires another 10-15 pick.

There is a reason why goalies often slip to later in the first round or the second even if they are highly touted.  Only 62 jobs and almost all are filled at any given time.   And not many HHOFers are drafted top ten all-time although they do exist...for every Grant Furh (think around 8-9 but too lazy to pool it up, maybe 6 but pretty sure top ten), there is a Ken Dryden...whom the Bruins traded for three guys who never played a game and turned into their nemesis and reason they didn't win at least one more cup.     Luongo, MAF, Furh, Price off the top of my head.    Maybe Knight i don't know.   But it's simply not worth going for the best goalie available unless they are uber special.    

21 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

And who the hell would want just 1 Sedin. The two of them together is what makes them so damn special and is far more attractive of a deal than just 1 Sedin. You get the absolute 100% best out of either one because they have the chemistry and the 2 of them together can MAKE someone fit in with them. Acquiring 1 Sedin you run the risk of 1) that Sedin not fitting with the line and 2) that line not jiving at all.

I think if anything maybe taking a cap dump in return plus retaining 50% to get some prospects and a boatload of picks.,

Otherwise l just dont see many teams that would be interested in acquiring 1 Sedin.

Also.. yes I was still very entertained by the Sedins last 4 years, they still carried the deadweight of the team. Their last game in Rogers Arena was unforgettable, I was there at that game and right up front when they scored their last point. 

Well personally i have a different memory of the Sedins.   If they peaked earlier we'd of had the WCE plus the best second line in the league - unfortunately that never materialized, aside from one season of Carter they were very underwhelming.   And the last four years was quite painful to watch.   Lost a big step, still given all the o-zone starts but couldn't keep up.   Occasionally some old peak Sedinery but wasn't very often. Our PP was 24th ish in the league when BB came along, they added him and by the end of the year moved all the way up to 9th.    It's not their fault (well maybe a little for not clicking three years earlier then they did, not peak but just PGP sort of thing!), it was MG not letting them walk or trading them before their last contract.   Yes their last game was very special.   But there were many years in there too that weren't that great or fun to watch.   For sure they priced themselves out of the market, and for sure we won't see anything like them (twins as good as them on the same team) for many lifetimes, if ever again.    They were a bit of a double edged sword.   10.5%  of the cap hit more or less x 2 didn't come cheap.    It was a brilliant at the peak, and pretty good for another 6 or so years, the rest .... well was for sure tough at times. 

• Vintage 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is Yzerman’s job on the line?  He’s had time there to rebuild, and still the club is horrid.  Who do they have for young talent that he’s brought in?  Compare his job to what Benning has done here and it’s not even close.  We have a core of great young players.  Detroit has nothing.  They are craperolla.  

They have Zadina ... but yes they are a bit of a disaster.   They do have a better group then we do ... because ours are mostly on the team already.    I've been saying for a couple years now that Detroit is the closest thing to Vancouver that we can compare ourselves too, SJ is the other team but their re-tool had actual teeth to it.   On their last gasps now lol, poor them.    Detroit is going to suck for awhile longer, possibly quite some time.    Yzerman inherited some decent pool assets and Mantha, Bertuzzi and Larkin.   A lot more then Horvat and the worst pool on the league.      Will be curious to see how it all ends up.   Vancouver and Detroit both had a down year and re-tooled.   Holland was considered part of the cream of the crop for two decades.... but couldn't make it work.    JB also screwed things up but really did a better job drafting so far at least.    I'm all for taking the time needed too.   And understand that 1-3 of BB, Horvat and Miller could also go the way of Mantha, Bertuzzi and Larkin.    Not sure the CDC has the stomach for it though.    Within one or two seasons we will have to make similar decisions. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yeah I think that is the reason Detroit will go with Wallstedt at 6th overall. Gonna be tough to find that stud goalie.  If you think Wallstedt could be that guy then you take him. Yzerman has another first rounder plus 10 more picks to fill other holes.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1

On 7/10/2021 at 5:29 PM, IBatch said:

That's a lot of subjective statements. 

When Babcock was hired by TO i said at the time watch a lot of his shine wear off.  

Yzerman struck gold with a questionable move in Seider (so far), but it's not TB anymore is it?   No Hedman or Stamkos or Kuch or Point et al.    Personally won't be surprised at all if what he's got from Holland he mostly dumps.   And that eventually it will all work out - but that eventually is a long, long time from now. 

so, do Detroit win the Cup before the Canucks or do the Canucks win one before Detroit get number 12?

And will it be Jim?

will it be Steve?

will you and I both be dead before either win another Cup?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

DiPietro (1st)

Leclaire (8th)

Lehtonen (2nd)

Fleury (1st)

Montoya (6th)

Price (5th)

Not that bad a list, imo.

DiPietro was injured, a lot, and never  the same

Fleury, won 3 cups, Vezina

Lehtonen 649 games played, 619 starts, credible career save % of .912 with 38 shutouts

Price