The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks Interested in Tyler Bertuzzi

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Best since Carey Price? Do you have a quote on that?

Every time I’ve read about him people can’t seem to separate him from Cossa.

"Hopes to be the first goalie taken top ten since Carey Price"  for sure isn't best since Carey Price.    He's not even the number one ranked Euro Skater so not sure where this is coming from .... A recent THN mock draft does have OTT taking him at ten though, which makes some sense.   Detroit Luke Hughes.   Spencer Knight seemed to be higher touted and that is only recently. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

But then you look at how many goalies who are vezina winners are taken later in the first or in the second/third round and I think Yzerman doesn’t end up gambling.

Especially since there is no bonafide number 1 in this draft. Wallstedt or Cossa are both comparable and could either be number 1 goalies.

Better to look for the next Hasek or Osgood in later rounds and take a more sure thing center or D.

At six overall absolutely. 

8 hours ago, gurn said:

Not on your list, but fine goalies drafted in the first in the last 20 years include

Andrei Vasilevskiy

Semyon Varlamov 

Tuukka Rask

Corey Schneider

Ilya Samsonov

Vasil probably ends up in the HHOF as long as he plays another decade.   Rask is already a top hundred all-time goalie, probably top 50, three more normal Rask seasons and he also could make the HHOF.   Samsonov is WSH Demko.  

For sure if a goalie is picked in the first round, they come with pretty high expectations.   Still GMs usually wait and you don't see them picked in the top ten or top half of the draft very often.   Curiously, from 1990-2010 (too early to know for sure the past decade) 22/23 overall right to the end of the second round has  the same chances of success, goalies are solid picks in this area though.  GMs know this. 

On 7/11/2021 at 4:21 PM, IBatch said:

Well personally i have a different memory of the Sedins.   If they peaked earlier we'd of had the WCE plus the best second line in the league - unfortunately that never materialized, aside from one season of Carter they were very underwhelming.   And the last four years was quite painful to watch.   Lost a big step, still given all the o-zone starts but couldn't keep up.   Occasionally some old peak Sedinery but wasn't very often. Our PP was 24th ish in the league when BB came along, they added him and by the end of the year moved all the way up to 9th.    It's not their fault (well maybe a little for not clicking three years earlier then they did, not peak but just PGP sort of thing!), it was MG not letting them walk or trading them before their last contract.   Yes their last game was very special.   But there were many years in there too that weren't that great or fun to watch.   For sure they priced themselves out of the market, and for sure we won't see anything like them (twins as good as them on the same team) for many lifetimes, if ever again.    They were a bit of a double edged sword.   10.5%  of the cap hit more or less x 2 didn't come cheap.    It was a brilliant at the peak, and pretty good for another 6 or so years, the rest .... well was for sure tough at times. 

The Sedins were by no means top 20 in the league. But they were still in the top 3 scoring of our team in their final years, as they were for most of their career. What does that say about the players around them? There certainly wasnt much, support in terms of secondary scoring. Horvat was good, but the 2nd line was not much of a threat. Then we added Boeser and we started to get a little life in the lineup. But It wasnt hard for teams to focus on the Sedins and not really care too much about the next couple line changes. They were the top players still playing top lines and producing at a decent rate considering the state of the team and where they were at that point in their careers.  A little sluggish out the gate in their early years, but not every top draft pick comes out the gates and sets the league ablaze. It took them a few years to establish themselves as it does quite often with a lot of players. The bottom line is they DID become the players they were projected to be when drafted 2nd and 3rd. You expect a franchise guy and we got 2 of them.

Could you imagine if we had this exact core, 5 years ago? If we drafted these studs before the Sedins retired, we would be a legit team. The Sedins could take 2nd line duties and make an absolute mockery of teams. It would have extended their careers and brought us back from the dead. The Sedins had far more good years than bad years. They still put up nearly .50ppg in their first few years which on your second line is pretty damn good. The Canucks had only missed the playoffs twice in the first 12 years after the Sedins were drafted. I think the tough years to watch were the transitional years and the passing of the torches. They led the Canucks in scoring for 10 straight seasons and in their final 4 seasons they lead the team in scoring for 2 of the last 4. 

Another weird stat about the Sedins is they finished 2nd and 3rd in their last season….in their draft order. I mean technically Dank tied Boeser for 1st but Boeser had fewer games and is first on the list, followed by Daniel then Henrik

I agree it was tough to watch them in their last couple years, but the team overall was tough to watch. The Sedins needed help

Edited by knucklehead91
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/10/2021 at 10:09 PM, Canuckster86 said:

You think this team and coaching staff with give a near mid 20's russian kid more of a chance Vs a full on rebuilding Detroit? I know his stats don't look bad but nobody claimed him on waivers...I would have rather us picked him up over Boyd and Vesey by a mile. There must be a lack of drive or commitment to a 2 way game with him or something, if I cared enough I could go on some Detroit fan board to inquire but I don't. If he was included though I wouldn't be mad just would have tempered expectations, after the Goldobin experiment sometimes players and not always Russains (Dahlen/Rodin etc) just can't make it in the top league in the world.

Agree with you ,  but I would attempt to include him..   some just need a change and a chance.

If Detroit can interpret his “game” as poor, in as little amount of games that he has played at the NHL level then that’s amazing.

(41 gp in 4 seasons) very limited ice time.

12 pts .

not saying everyone deserves JV’s opportunities,.   Just think there is more to this player.

• Cheers 2

I agree. Get JV out of the region, away from his buddies/potential bad influences, and maybe he can put it together. He may just find something that maturity being forced elsewhere. He's worth a gamble to another team on a base salary 2 way contract, imho.  I'd risk it if I was a club on a long trajectory rebuild.

• Cheers 1

On 7/11/2021 at 12:50 PM, Alflives said:

Is Yzerman’s job on the line?  He’s had time there to rebuild, and still the club is horrid.  Who do they have for young talent that he’s brought in?  Compare his job to what Benning has done here and it’s not even close.  We have a core of great young players.  Detroit has nothing.  They are craperolla.  

seriously Alf

Y drafted 6 Defensemen in the top 3 rounds in the last 2 drafts

the 2 smallest are 6' tall

maybe he hits on 1/2 

how many drafts for Jim to come up with 3 defensemen?

Jim has drafted 6 defensemen in the top 3 rounds in 7 drafts

and Rathbone is not one of them, but he is looking better than the 2 wingers Jim selected the one time he had 2 second round picks in the same draft

But I guess if you were a detroit fan you'd be saying "Seider/\Tuomisto/ Wallinder/Johansson/Sebrango/Viro, Our D is set!"

• Haha 1

2 trade proposals 

To Van Tyler Bertuzzi 

To Det: 2021 2nd round pick, Jake Virtanen, Olli Juolevi 

To Van: Seth Jones

To Col: 2021 1st, 2022 3rd, Nate Schmidt, Kole Lind 

1 signing 

Mikael Granlund 

Canucks Lines 

Granlund Pettersson Boeser 

Bertuzzi Miller Hoglander 

Pearson Horvart Highmore 

Motte Graovaac Howerluk

Boyd, Michaelis, Lockwood, MacEwan

Hughes Jones

Edler Myers 

Rathbone Hamonic

Demko

Holtby 

Gone

Sutter

Beagle

Schmidt

Virtanen 

Roussel 

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

11 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Bertuzzi and 22OA for 

9OA

or

Appleton and 17OA

for 9OA

id be good with both

Interesting trades, I'd do both of them, too.

Pretty sure Detroit would be looking for better than a pick swap, though. They don't have any issue protecting Bert, so they probably hold out for more. Appleton trade could happen, if Winnipeg is forced to leave him unprotected, anyway, it might be the best offer they get.

10 hours ago, lmm said:

seriously Alf

Y drafted 6 Defensemen in the top 3 rounds in the last 2 drafts

the 2 smallest are 6' tall

maybe he hits on 1/2 

how many drafts for Jim to come up with 3 defensemen?

Jim has drafted 6 defensemen in the top 3 rounds in 7 drafts

and Rathbone is not one of them, but he is looking better than the 2 wingers Jim selected the one time he had 2 second round picks in the same draft

But I guess if you were a detroit fan you'd be saying "Seider/\Tuomisto/ Wallinder/Johansson/Sebrango/Viro, Our D is set!"

Detroit is horrid, and Stevie (home boy) Yzerman will be replaced before they make the playoffs.  

Seedoor will see guys flying around him all year.  The guy will struggle.  Their team stinks, and the city makes bad cars. :P

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Detroit is horrid, and Stevie (home boy) Yzerman will be replaced before they make the playoffs.  

Seedoor will see guys flying around him all year.  The guy will struggle.  Their team stinks, and the city makes bad cars. :P

they make cars in Detroit?

Is Gordie Howe still playing with Lindsey and Delvecchio ?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

2 trade proposals 

To Van Tyler Bertuzzi 

To Det: 2021 2nd round pick, Jake Virtanen, Olli Juolevi 

To Van: Seth Jones

To Col: 2021 1st, 2022 3rd, Nate Schmidt, Kole Lind 

1 signing 

Mikael Granlund 

Canucks Lines 

Granlund Pettersson Boeser 

Bertuzzi Miller Hoglander 

Pearson Horvart Highmore 

Motte Graovaac Howerluk

Boyd, Michaelis, Lockwood, MacEwan

Hughes Jones

Edler Myers 

Rathbone Hamonic

Demko

Holtby 

Gone

Sutter

Beagle

Schmidt

Virtanen 

Roussel 

So Podz isn't making the team this year ?    Are Beagle and Roussel buyouts in this scenario ?

17 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Bertuzzi doesn't really make sense, unless they can get rid of Roussel, Eriksson and Virtanen.

VAN needs a #3C and D

They also need another top 6 forward if they plan on making the playoffs.

The roster doesn’t have enough scoring right now. Need another 20-25 goal scorer.

• Cheers 2

On 7/11/2021 at 12:58 PM, ShawnAntoski said:

The whole question was theoretical and the purpose was to create a meaningful discussion among fans but it has (obviously) triggered a few in the forum instead.

no - weak revision effort on your part - the poster was simply mistaken - that Benning had re-signed the Sedins, period.  fact.  nothing to do with being triggered - obviously a few of you are unable to be accountable.  Er - imagine if Benning hadn't re-signed the Sedins = very easy to do, considering that's the fact of the matter.

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1