The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Duncan Keith, Tim Soderlund to Oilers for Caleb Jones, conditional 2022 3rd-round pick

19 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Point was made earlier that this might mean Klefbom is out again next season.  If that's the case, then adding Keith essentially replaces Klefbom's and Jones' cap hits.  I doubt there will be a taxi squad next year.  It's a fairly minimal additional cap hit for the Oilers to absorb.  Doesn't address the problem of them having little cap space to add the depth they need in the their line-up but Keith could be seen as an upgrade on Jones.

Keith has declined substantially but love him or hate him (I'm sure most of us are in the latter camp) he's still wily enough to be an effective NHL D.  He has always been a good skater so even though he's not as fast as he used to be, he's probably better than many others.  Can't see this moving the needle substantially but he should still be able to eat a decent amount of minutes and play sufficient D (that Klefbom would have otherwise played).

No salary retained by CHI!!!

Keith WAS effective in the past. Look at his numbers the past few seasons and you'll see he actually pulls his D partners down with him in his decline.  He's nowhere near worth that cap value, imho. Ask yourself this, if you were forced by ownership to give 5.5 to Keith or a potential UFA like Hamonic (not saying he's worth 5.5 either) who you invest into? This deal is crazy, and that doesn't even include the potential value of the 3rd round pick, or Jones to a lesser extent. This deal bears no real fruit for EDM or their fans. It only weakens their position for 2 seasons until the contact ends.

• Like 1

I don't know why but Duncan Keith to Edmonton make me want to post tthis video because really, wth else is there in Edmonton?

Edited by GarthButcher5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Man, there is no way that this isn't the worst trade this offseason.  Oilers were set up to be a big player in UFA with 16 mil to spend and only 3 or 4 players to sign.  then this?  My mind is blown.  

Yea I don’t understand how anyone is praising Edmonton here…

Sure Keith can probably still play a bottom pairing role quite effectively, by why would there be no salary retention?

On top of that they gave up a decent young defenseman and a pick? And they helped Chicago’s chances of landing Seth Jones?

I guess this means Larson and Barrie are as good as gone too?

4 minutes ago, kilgore said:

So does Edmonton now overtake Calgary as the most hated rival?  It does for me.

Hard to hate on Tanev and Markstrom, when you got Keith and McJesus on the Coilers.

Calgary still has Lucic and the turtle though.  Not a lot of respectable guys on either team.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

We paid a 3rd for Schmidt.

You’re telling me they couldn’t have found a D man better than Keith for a 3rd?

Hopefully this just boosts Schmidt’s price.

Could could need saving money though.  Over the last two years of his contract Keith gets 3.6 in real dollars, but counts 11 against the cap.  Coilers save 7 million.  

• Thanks 1

leaves Edmonton with a bit over $11.5 mill of space with 19 players signed.

3 RFA forwards to sign, or not

3 UFA forwards "                      "

4 UFA D men.  "                       "

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Could could need saving money though.  Over the last two years of his contract Keith gets 3.6 in real dollars, but counts 11 against the cap.  Coilers save 7 million.  

Oil prices that bad?

Didnt realize Edmonton’s owner was broke.