The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Duncan Keith, Tim Soderlund to Oilers for Caleb Jones, conditional 2022 3rd-round pick

Just now, lmm said:

remember the Daniel

Keith strikes me as a player, who when his skills erode, becomes more Raffiesque

he probably won't help Edmonton win as much as he will injure all your favorite Canucks

And then MacEwen can ensure he never walks again.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Imagine CDC if Benning did this - giving up a good young prospect for a 37 yr old D man - YIKES

Good young prospect? The guy is a 4th round pick and hasn’t proved much of anything since he was drafted. Jones is 24 years old, not 20!

• RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Good young prospect? The guy is a 4th round pick and hasn’t proved much of anything since he was drafted. Jones is 24 years old, not 20!

It’s be like giving up Stecher and a 3rd for him.

Still an overpayment no matter how you slice it.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

No salary retention? Man, Chicago took that and ran 

On the upside, we can all hate Keith more than we already did 

I’m just happy we get to play him more.

Better keep your head up old man!

• Cheers 1

I, for one, think this is a genius move by the Oilers.

As we've seen under Benning, there's no better use of the cap than overpaying bad and/or past their best-before date players in the name of veteran leadership and experience.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

Just like Bieksa, Lappierre, Rome, Alberts, Volpatti and Weise did back in the day?

One of them absolutely should have Bertuzzi'd him.  Giving that piece of garbage what he deserves would be a great way to show that the culture has changed here.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

One of them absolutely should have Bertuzzi'd him.  Giving that piece of garbage what he deserves would be a great way to show that the culture has changed here.

coulda shouldsa woouldsaa

Didn't, won't , don't 

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I wouldn't worry too much there. I think Jim is set on adding larger more aggressive stay at home defensemen. Barrie should be re-signed by Edmonton right away to solidify that amazing d corps!

I hope your right PB. 

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

No salary retained by CHI!!!

Keith WAS effective in the past. Look at his numbers the past few seasons and you'll see he actually pulls his D partners down with him in his decline.  He's nowhere near worth that cap value, imho. Ask yourself this, if you were forced by ownership to give 5.5 to Keith or a potential UFA like Hamonic (not saying he's worth 5.5 either) who you invest into? This deal is crazy, and that doesn't even include the potential value of the 3rd round pick, or Jones to a lesser extent. This deal bears no real fruit for EDM or their fans. It only weakens their position for 2 seasons until the contact ends.

Fair enough.  I agree that if you look at it as using Klefbom's cap space to invest in a D other than Keith, then yes, this is an expensive deal for the Oilers to make both in terms of acquisition cost and cap hit.

I wonder if a big part of this is a perception of lack of leadership?  Not saying I would argue that Keith is the answer to that issue, but that might indicate why EDM wanted to add Keith rather than invest Klefbom's money in a UFA.

"Intangibles" like leadership are basically impossible to really pin down but that teams pay for and GMs get into trouble with.  If Keith helps stabilize their D core next year, then maybe the deal looks better than it does now.  Do I hope that happens?  Not at all, but I suspect that's where this deal is coming from.

• Cheers 1