The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Florida buying out Keith Yandle

mll

2 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

I've said it in another thread and I'll say it again here. Eriksson, Holtby, Luongo, Beagle, Roussel, (and maybe Virtanen) are all off the books a year from now. The Canucks just need to stay the course this year. Don't buy out Eriksson, don't trade the 9th overall, and let the kids play. 

This is so true. Will be another year with some pains, but I believe sharply upwards from there. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

I've said it in another thread and I'll say it again here. Eriksson, Holtby, Luongo, Beagle, Roussel, (and maybe Virtanen) are all off the books a year from now. The Canucks just need to stay the course this year. Don't buy out Eriksson, don't trade the 9th overall, and let the kids play. 

Exactly. What's done is done. Let's ride it out and move forward. No silly, panic moves. Relax, one more year and it's over. 

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the more of these buyouts I see, the most I just want Benning to wait out Loui's last year and not extend the uselessness over two years by buying him out. Its not worth it. 

I don’t think many folks think he will be bought out.  There just isn’t any savings compared with just putting him in the AHL.

The only real buyout candidates that save cap are Virtanen and Holtby.  Holtby is a little iffy since his replacement will probably cost about as much as any cap savings.

13 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

Sounds like there's clubs interested in Holtby, so he may not be a problem.

Virtanen is likely terminated due to breach of contract or suspended without pay and off the books either way.

Beagle/Roussel are what they are. Roussel might be moveable with minimal sweetener and/or taking cap back the other way. Shame about his knees. But yeah, we likely just bite the bullet on those for one last year. 

Eriksson I'm fine either way. Buying out vs waiving does clear enough cap to cover the cost of a guy like Highmore. So it's something. And it does save the owner ACTUAL cash money. Plus it just gets him the hell off the club finally. So there are legit +'s. But I'm fine just waiving his ass to Abby (or loaning him to the DAL farm team if he prefers). If he had any morals he'd bloody well retire after milking the team for $30m but I digress...<_<

28 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

I'll keep saying it as long as people argue otherwise.  This is the clear and obvious solution.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, TmanVan said:

Yep. Might be another painful year but that is the best strategy to ensure long term success... assuming they make good choices with the cap space next year. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, TmanVan said:

Definitely a rational approach to build a better long term team. No question.

Unfortunately, it is also clear and obvious that a losing team does not sell out arenas. Fans don’t pay these sort of prices to watch kids play and lose games.

GMs all around the NHL are aware that selling seats and making ownership happy is the number one priority. There seems to be little patience for losing seasons, especially when it is repeated, year after year. 

Playoffs generate lots of revenue and excitement that most owners demand of their teams. This is why we never went full rebuild and it was a “rebuild on the fly”. 

JB stating he was going to be “aggressive” this off season give you a hint that the patience you speak of will not completely be there. 

2 hours ago, TmanVan said:

I agree, with the exception of Virtanen who's contract really just needs to be terminated if the evidence shows his conduct is worthy of such.

There is no point in hurting our future (and prime opportunity to enter cup contention) in order to ice a better team this year. Our window isn't quite open yet anyway.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the more of these buyouts I see, the most I just want Benning to wait out Loui's last year and not extend the uselessness over two years by buying him out. Its not worth it. 

Def agree, may as well just swallow the poison pill at this point. Or give up an asset to pay some bottom feeder to take 50% of Eriksson is necessary, the cost of eating 3m for a single year shouldn't have to be absurd. 

39 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Definitely a rational approach to build a better long term team. No question.

Unfortunately, it is also clear and obvious that a losing team does not sell out arenas. Fans don’t pay these sort of prices to watch kids play and lose games.

GMs all around the NHL are aware that selling seats and making ownership happy is the number one priority. There seems to be little patience for losing seasons, especially when it is repeated, year after year. 

Playoffs generate lots of revenue and excitement that most owners demand of their teams. This is why we never went full rebuild and it was a “rebuild on the fly”. 

JB stating he was going to be “aggressive” this off season give you a hint that the patience you speak of will not completely be there. 

Maybe not, but a bit of hope can sell tickets. I question when, or even if, Rogers Arena will be allowed to hold full capacity next season. We saw it in the US during the playoffs, but Canada's been more reserved (unsurprisingly) on that front. 

Time will also tell what "aggressive" means. Could be moving the 9th pick, could be trading Miller, could be a lot of things. Doesn't necessarily mean a buyout. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is there a limit on how many contracts a team can buyout? 

Nope.

You are thinking of those buyouts the NHL used allow per team with no cap penalties. The NHL has stopped those and refused to allow it even on this flat cap era. They have had enough of teams not being smart with their contracts.

• Cheers 1