The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks won’t protect Kole Lind

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He could also be less than that.  He could be a career AHL'er.  Benning is going for the sure thiing.

Dickinson isn't just a bottom line winger.  He's one of the better defensive players in the NHL.  Let's not lump him in with a guy like Sutter.  He's a big upgrade on Sutter.

I am convinced.  Now I’m happy about this Dickinson guy.  And it’s not just the scotch talking. :frantic:

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Because those guys would all be backups to Demko.  At least Holtby has the potential to be Seattle's starter.  He has won a Cup last time I checked.

Which is one reason why I want Holtby to say with another year.  What better way to groom our young goalie than to have him working alongside a former cup winner and Vezina candidate (winner?  Can’t remember).   I agree that the Canucks need to clear cap space but moving Holtby is a no go for me.

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Button mentioned that they also may pick one of our UFAs and just choose not to sign them, more or less  a “pass.” I think Vegas did this last time as well. On the other hand he thought if Lind was exposed he would be their choice.

It is entirely possible.  If they pick any of our younger guys, they will just need to be exposed to waivers before next season anyways as none of them are nearly of a calibre that would make a deep Seattle forward roster.  So none of them will have any value really, if they are good enough they will get picked up on waivers, if they aren't good enough then they are replaceable by other players that will show up on waivers.

They could just pick the UFA for a bargaining window or just to mess with us being able to re-sign that player before free agency.  If they took Hamonic we then have to compete on the open market with him like anyone else.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Patel Bure said:

Which is one reason why I want Holtby to say with another year.  What better way to groom our young goalie than to have him working alongside a former cup winner and Vezina candidate (winner?  Can’t remember).   I agree that the Canucks need to clear cap space but moving Holtby is a no go for me.

Yeah, keeping Holtby for another season isn’t the worst case scenario - he’s a good guy probably has better game than we saw last year with a stronger effort in front of him. 

…but if we can clear that cap I still do it. 

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is this new guy like Gaunce?  I liked Gaunce.  Took pucks to the face, and kept playing.  

The new guy as in Dickinson?  Yeah man he has excellent defensive metrics and there was statistical evidence to support that he outplayed Faska last year (scroll to one of my earlier posts in this thread, I don’t have the link anymore).  If Dickinson took a crap, Gaunce should consider himself lucky to get a 5 second whiff.  But seriously - Dickinson was a very nice pick up for the Canucks.  He’s only 26 and he definitely look like a solid long term Sutter replacement.  Dickinson netted 7 goals and 15 points last year and so he does have traces of offensive potential.  I don’t think he’ll be an offensive playmaking black hole like Sutter and Beagle.  I expect That Dickinson will have atleast traces of playmaking ability......which could be good for a guy like Podkolzin if he was to play on the 3rd line.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Holtby did that last year.  We don't really need him anymore.  Demko is already a star...

• Cheers 1

This doesn't surprise me at all. I haven't hopped on the Lind fan wagon yet. He's young so he could improve but his skating isn't great, his turns are too wide. Slow first strides. I watched him a lot here in Ktown and I found his play perimeter and I haven't seen growth with that either. If Lind is our sacrificial lamb I'm fine with it. I can almost gaurantee he will be on waivers soon enough, much like Gaunce. Not quite good enough to stick in the bigs. 

6 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

On a separate note it appears Adam Gaudette will be left unprotected by the Hawks.

Gaud is just not skilled enough for a scoring role, and too light and easy to play against for a checking role.  He’s just a meh player.  The new guy we got is built for checking.  He fits a role, that he’s very good at.  

• Cheers 1