The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2021 NHL Expansion Draft

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Missing an entire 1st line and starting goalie but the defence is solid.

Surely with all that cap there'll be some UFA signings/trades in-coming. 

In net Driedger had a good season but limited experience, Vanecek has even less and Daccord hasn't played much at all and wasn't great. They really lack a true starter and would be very risky going in with a Driedger-Vanecek combo.

Rask would be very interesting...

Rask is having surgery and wants to go back to Boston after. 

There's Freddie Anderson who might be a steal. But maybe they stick it to Colorado and go big on Grubauer. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I am a little surprised that they didn't take Holtby over Lind. There isn't a veteran starter with those 3 picks and Holtby may have been a good guy to have around. Or flip him at the draft. 

Calgary classless as usual with losing their captain :lol:

Selecting Holtby doesn't solve that problem so it's easy to see why they didn't want a poor backup goalie that is a 4 million cap hit.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Selecting Holtby doesn't solve that problem so it's easy to see why they didn't want a poor backup goalie that is a 4 million cap hit.

yeah now I'm thinking Anderson or Grubauer. Man would that ever throw a wrench into Colorado's plans. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So here is Seattle's depth chart so far:

Tanev               Gourde          Eberle

Quenneville      McCann        Donskoi

Twarynski        Jarnkrok        Appleton

Blackwell       Pitlick

True               Geekie

Bastian

Lind

Giordano         Larsson

Dunn               Borgen

Soucy             Stecher ??

Olesiak           Fleury

Lauzon

Fleury

MacDermid

Bayreuther

Driedger        Vanecek

Daccord

Wow.  Some of these guys will be playing in the AHL next year.  

Seattle has approximately $30M in cap space to spend.  They could very well sign Dougie Hamilton, Landeskog, Suter and Schwartz.  Then draft Matt Beniers who is probably NHL ready.

Hamilton @ $8.5M

Landeskog @ $7.5M

Schwartz @ $5.75M

Suter @ $4.5M

All of a sudden this is what it looks like:

McCann  Landeskog  Schwartz

Tanev  Gourde  Eberle

Lind  Beniers  Donskoi

Quenneville  Jarnkrok  Appleton

Suter  Hamilton

Giordano  Larsson

Oleksiak  Stecher

Soucy

Fleury

Lauzon

Fleury

MacDermid

Driedger        Vanecek

Daccord

Bottomline is there is WAY more to come. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Now that we know who they've picked, I guess the only thing to look forward to for today is... seeing which Seattle celebrity gets to pronounce, I mean announce, a pick. Maybe Lynch announces Lind? Although I would prefer seeing him possibly butcher Jarnkrok, Gourde, Bayreuther, Daccord, Vanecek... wait a second, I'm seeing a pattern here. Did the Krakheads pick these guys based on the difficulty of remembering and pronouncing their last names? Would love to hear Gary Payton say, "and the next pick is some guy named True. For real?" :P

I'm just here so I don't get Lind.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Seattle has approximately $30M in cap space to spend.  They could very well sign Dougie Hamilton, Landeskog, Suter and Schwartz.  Then draft Matt Beniers who is probably NHL ready.

Hamilton @ $8.5M

Landeskog @ $7.5M

Schwartz @ $5.75M

Suter @ $4.5M

All of a sudden this is what it looks like:

McCann  Landeskog  Schwartz

Tanev  Gourde  Eberle

Lind  Beniers  Donskoi

Quenneville  Jarnkrok  Appleton

Suter  Hamilton

Giordano  Larsson

Oleksiak  Stecher

Soucy

Fleury

Lauzon

Fleury

MacDermid

Driedger        Vanecek

Daccord

Bottomline is there is WAY more to come. 

I can see this happening but the major risk with this is if those UFAs don't sign with them.  Seattle has had a quite a few days to figure out whether they can come to terms with those UFAs (without signing them and burning their expansion pick), so I suppose if this is their plan and these are their strong examples of their targets, then they are confident that those guys will be under contract.  If they end up not signing even one or two of those guys however, then that roster is still quite thin.  I think it's pretty risky but, of course, they should have a far better read on how likely they are to actually sign any of the key UFAs that interest them.

Keeping in mind waivers, I would think that at least one of the D they picked up will be flipped.

One take I saw on Twitter is that given all the reports so far basically claiming that there are few to no side deals, it seems that the rest of the league might have been far more unified about not "playing the game" with Seattle as they were with Vegas.  It will be interesting to see if that continues moving forward.  Seattle's cap space is still going to be their largest asset so it could still give them a significant leg up against other teams, but given their reported picks so far, it feels like it might be hard for them to make hockey trades so it's mostly going to either be UFAs (as you have described) or trying to extract value from other teams by acquiring big $ contracts that they need/want to get out of.  In the latter scenario, I'm wondering how much Seattle wants to stockpile draft picks?

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Unless they are going after Ovechkin or Landeskog there aren't alot of big ticket forwards out there that will help them in their top 6 in free agency.  Hall is re-signing in Boston.  Krejci could be someone they look at but he's 35.  Brandon Saad is another.  Mike Hoffman and Paul Stastny are two others on the lower end.  That's about it.  Are they going to throw big money at Dougie Hamilton?

37 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If that's the case Francis better have a rabbit in his hat regarding side-deals.

Then again they do have cap space and could take more runs in free agency.

They sign a UFA or two (Danault? Schwartz?), trade for cap dump Johnson (+Foote and a pick?) from the Lightning for peanuts, and it starts to round out.

I have a feeling there's still LOTS to come here.

Never mind flipping one or two of those left D for F's etc.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1