The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Khaira not being qualified

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We just signed a guy with concussion concerns in Ferland, I'd rather not repeat that, even on a smaller scale.

Pettersson also had a concussion before. Do we avoid him as well?

Concussions are complicated, some players can come back from them just fine and still play at a high level. Khaira came back and played in their short lived playoffs. Not sure how he fared in those games or if there are still lingering issues, but he played his regular minutes it seems and led the team in hits in the playoffs. If it's a short term deal that doesn't take up much cap space, I'm sure we can take that risk. Worst case is they go on LTIR and we can still utilize the cap space still. Best case is we get a heavy 4th liner that can PK and has the local roots, plus can take faceoffs (even if not spectacular at it).

10 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Pettersson also had a concussion before. Do we avoid him as well?

Concussions are complicated, some players can come back from them just fine and still play at a high level. Khaira came back and played in their short lived playoffs. Not sure how he fared in those games or if there are still lingering issues, but he played his regular minutes it seems and led the team in hits in the playoffs. If it's a short term deal that doesn't take up much cap space, I'm sure we can take that risk. Worst case is they go on LTIR and we can still utilize the cap space still. Best case is we get a heavy 4th liner that can PK and has the local roots, plus can take faceoffs (even if not spectacular at it).

Pettersson was also under contract, and is a bright, young offensive engine on our team 

Concussions are different for everyone, certainly, you're absolutely right, but my concern remains nonetheless 

Retaining a scoring player in Pettersson isn't on the same level as signing Khaira, if we're looking for depth guys who can play physical there are other options 

Options like Mac and Gadjovich who are already in the fold even

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

Sure if the contract is cheap enough that doesn't add to the cap if he is sent to the AHL.

So maybe $1M-ish x 2yr?

He’s a big boy, who plays big too.  Local kid.  He’s the kind of guy that gets signed later in th3 summer.  

• Vintage 1

Always liked Khaira (in spite of being a Coiler) - and have always had him on a 'reserve list' of targets (as well as Kassian :ph34r:).  Khaira, with no history with the franchise, and a Van native (as well as an expiring contract) is obviously the far greater likelihood.  He may not have the 'deterrent' effect that Kassian does (a forward that can 'step up' would be nice), but Khaira is able to play center/take draws, so there's a solid 'between the whistles' tradeoff.

He has a lot of the attributes 'we' will be shopping for (size, physicality, versatility...) - and has played a fair amount of center for the Coil (took the 3rd amount of draws for them last season).

3g, 8a, 11 pts, -1 in 40 games

151 hits in 40 games - he uses his size consistently.

Took 378 draws - 45.2% (a bit deflated due to his high relative number of dzone starts).

31.7% ozone starts, 43.8% corsi

2.1 on ice goals against per 60 5on5 = and generally some of the better defensive metrics on that team - while also worth noting that the Coil weren't exactly teeming with defensive/'bottom six' centers to play with.

That teams #2 penalty killing forward (1:58/game).

.928 on ice save percentage - again, among the better numbers on that club.

Played with guys like Archibald, Ennis, Shore, Chiasson - with the exception of Archibald, I wouldn't consider any of them to be particularly quality defensive forwards.

A good fit imo as a secondary center / versatile defensive forward that is physical - and considering these outcomes are playing for a coach like Dave Tippet - an outstanding defensive coach imo - the trust he had in Khaira is a good indicator.

Add the fact that he'd be an instant favorite for a large and growing Indian fanbase in the lower mainland and it would be hard to argue against signing him.

A few counterpoints would be the number of quality, young defensive forwards the team already has on the roster and in the system - and that the team may/probably would prefer a more proven primary center - with a more solid history in the faceoff circle - however Khaira is 'only' on the verge of 27 years old - still some room to uptick considering he's only had a pair of seasons at the NHL level where he's taken any volume of draws.

There might be a few 'natural centers' I'd target over him - but he has other qualities - notably his size and physicality - that could close that gap (and this team will have three outstanding faceoff guys regardless, one of them a principal penalty killer and shutdown center - so whether the fourth center needs to be a pre-cooked faceoff guy is debatable.

All things considered - it's impossible for us to know how viable the rest of the free agent market will be - but generally speaking I'd be in favour of making him an offer.

Would also like what Savard could bring to the blueline - these two would be good start imo - leaving the question of what to do about Edler/a replacement on the left side....

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1

Hmmmmm, got some size'n'grit and fits well in the bottom 6. Ya know this is the type of player I like, but I'd still prefer someone without a concussion history. There are others out there with size, grit and better with the puck---I'd stand pat, for now, and look a little further.

22 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

If he wasn't qualified, it's cause they are worried about his concussions. Big red flag telling us we should avoid him. He's a great bottom 6 player, you don't completely pass on them unless there's something worth worrying about.

actually, it's because of his qualifying offer. 

5 hours ago, Provost said:

That is exactly it… if he can be completely buried if it doesn’t work there is little risk.

The upside would be a big physical local boy who is a really good 4th line centre when Beagle goes.

Well Beagle is gone now…. :)

(Of course Sutter will probably be re-signed now)

We kind of have a player like this in Bailey, minus the fighting. I don't get why a player like Bailey, big and fast, doesn't learn to take and give a punch. He would play the next five years in the NHL if he showed some more grit. Take some fighting lessons. I mean, I hate cooking, despise it. But if a hot, young, nymhpo blonde wanted to shack up with me for the next five years, I'd learn to cook. I'd be taking every cooking lesson I could find and buy a nice Canucks apron while I'm at it. You gotta fo what you gotta do to make the bigs baby. 

On 7/23/2021 at 10:10 AM, AK_19 said:

I don't see any loss in signing him to a 1.25 mil contract. Prior to concussions (not sure how he played after) he was imo better than Beagle.

Only that he takes up a roster spot if there's a better option.  No doubt the team needs toughness but if he has concussion issues, that's a big strike against someone who's supposed to be your tough guy.  It would be a good storyline for Vancouver though if he could play well and hard without concussion issues.

4 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Only that he takes up a roster spot if there's a better option.  No doubt the team needs toughness but if he has concussion issues, that's a big strike against someone who's supposed to be your tough guy.  It would be a good storyline for Vancouver though if he could play well and hard without concussion issues.

I guess the reason I used that number is that he can be waived with no dead cap implications on our team. If he can play, he'll play. If not, no big deal.