The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

On 10/4/2021 at 5:56 PM, HomeBrew said:

A bit early to say they're both 1Ds at this moment, but this D-corps still doesn't have the depth of 2011 or maybe even 1994 imo:

Ekman-Larson         Edler                  Lumme

Hughes                    Hamhuis            Brown       

Myers                       Bieksa               Hedican

Hamonic                  Ehrhoff               Slegr

Poolman                  Salo                   Babych

Schenn                    Ballard               Murzyn

Rathbone                Tanev                 Diduck

Juolevi                    Alberts

Bowey                    Rome

That 94 team was so fun to watch. Slegr had a cannon of a shot! The only problem was it was almost always chin high coming in.

On 10/3/2021 at 2:55 AM, Timråfan said:

By the way, as you played in Timrå, how are the coaches compared to NA coaches?

regarding both personality(treat players and behave) and knowledge?

I didn't play for them....I played THERE but not for them.   My European experience in coaches was largely in Germany.   In general, and taking into account things others have shared over time with their experiences, NA coaches are less involved in player development it felt like to me and more "win at all costs" which often backfired in my opinion.   I felt teams in Europe were more "teams" and the coaching approach had a lot to do with that.   One of the reason many far lesser "flashing" European teams often do well in international tournaments against NHL or high-end junior talent is due to that "team" approach.   I think the NHL could learn from Europe in that regard.

• Cheers 2

If OEL is like how he played in the preseason and Garland comes as advertised, this might end up being the best trade of all time in Canucks history.

You think the Miller trade was good.  We paid a mid first for a top line player.

This time we trade a first 9 places higher in a draft that’s basically a crapshoot while cap dumping 12 million worth of AAV for a top 6 player who could be as good as Miller and a number 1 defenseman.  This trade could end up being 3 times as good as the Miller trade.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

If OEL is like how he played in the preseason and Garland comes as advertised, this might end up being the best trade of all time in Canucks history.

You think the Miller trade was good.  We paid a mid first for a top line player.

This time we trade a first 9 places higher in a draft that’s basically a crapshoot while cap dumping 12 million worth of AAV for a top 6 player who could be as good as Miller and a number 1 defenseman.  This trade could end up being 3 times as good as the Miller trade.

Naslund and Linden say "hold my beer".

Screenshot_20211008-195426_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211008-195458_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Naslund and Linden say "hold my beer".

Screenshot_20211008-195426_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211008-195458_Chrome.jpg

We still have to wait and see with how the trade will turn out but Linden is more than a first, OEL could be three times better than McCabe, and Garland could be as good as Bertuzzi.  Also what would be better, our best D of all time plus a top 6 forward or our 3rd best forward of all time.  I don’t know, we’ll see but all I know is if we win a Stanley Cup in the next 5 years (who knows could be possible) this would undoubtedly be our best trade of all time.

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I didn't play for them....I played THERE but not for them.   My European experience in coaches was largely in Germany.   In general, and taking into account things others have shared over time with their experiences, NA coaches are less involved in player development it felt like to me and more "win at all costs" which often backfired in my opinion.   I felt teams in Europe were more "teams" and the coaching approach had a lot to do with that.   One of the reason many far lesser "flashing" European teams often do well in international tournaments against NHL or high-end junior talent is due to that "team" approach.   I think the NHL could learn from Europe in that regard.

I have actually heard this from a number of players too who have played in Europe.

1 hour ago, Rindiculous said:

We still have to wait and see with how the trade will turn out but Linden is more than a first, OEL could be three times better than McCabe, and Garland could be as good as Bertuzzi.  Also what would be better, our best D of all time plus a top 6 forward or our 3rd best forward of all time.  I don’t know, we’ll see but all I know is if we win a Stanley Cup in the next 5 years (who knows could be possible) this would undoubtedly be our best trade of all time.

This minus the Bertuzzi stuff.

There will always be only one Bertuzzi. 

He was spectacular in his best times. 

Bertuzzi helped a Canucks nation forget the atrocious Neely trade. 

The Naslund trade also helped, but not like the big guy. He was our big guy.

He made this city BIG.

The Canucks have a 1D teaching a 1D about what it takes to be a 1D. 

OEL changes the game plan as much as a 1st round superstar would three years from now.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Trades can’t be judged based on a couple of preseason games. No one will know if this trade is even good or bad for several years let alone trying to hype it as the best in club history.

The Naslund trade will never be beaten as the single best trade in Canucks history. They gave up literally nothing for one of the biggest impact players in the history of the franchise.

The Linden for Bertuzzi one has so many far reaching offshoots (Sedins, Luongo, etc) that impacted the team in a significant way that it will never be beaten as the greatest overall impact to the organization in Canucks history.

Just like the Neely one and all it’s offshoots will always be the absolute worst in Canucks history.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Trades can’t be judged based on a couple of preseason games. No one will know if this trade is even good or bad for several years let alone trying to hype it as the best in club history.

The Naslund trade will never be beaten as the single best trade in Canucks history. They gave up literally nothing for one of the biggest impact players in the history of the franchise.

The Linden for Bertuzzi one has so many far reaching offshoots (Sedins, Luongo, etc) that impacted the team in a significant way that it will never be beaten as the greatest overall impact to the organization in Canucks history.

Just like the Neely one and all it’s offshoots will always be the absolute worst in Canucks history.

As I said it could not it would.  Time will tell but this trade has the makings of this even being a possibility.

42 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

As I said it could not it would.  Time will tell but this trade has the makings of this even being a possibility.

If you think about it, as a best ever single trade no it can’t really because Naslund was gotten for literally nothing of value. Guenther would need to be a bust and whoever they draft with the 2nd plus what they use the 5 years of cap space they bought on would have to amount to nothing of value to ever touch that trade. 

In terms of best chain reaction, it would take not only a huge recovery by OEL and continued improvement by Garland but also a hell of a lot of recycled value down the road from those players in trades to ever equal the Sedins and Luongo impact of the Linden trade. 

It could turn out to be a very good trade or a very bad one. But it is almost impossible to ever become the best ever.

Just my opinion.

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I didn't play for them....I played THERE but not for them.   

Aha, that’s why you’re so vague about the ”famous” pub. ^_^

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

My European experience in coaches was largely in Germany.   In general, and taking into account things others have shared over time with their experiences, NA coaches are less involved in player development it felt like to me and more "win at all costs" which often backfired in my opinion.   I felt teams in Europe were more "teams" and the coaching approach had a lot to do with that.   One of the reason many far lesser "flashing" European teams often do well in international tournaments against NHL or high-end junior talent is due to that "team" approach.   I think the NHL could learn from Europe in that regard.

Great answer and in line with my opinion.

I call the NA coaches approach neanderthal but the best is probably to talk about cultural differences.
Still, the NHL is trying to be more modern in coching and preventing injuries(except in playoff). 

43 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Aha, that’s why you’re so vague about the ”famous” pub. ^_^

Great answer and in line with my opinion.

I call the NA coaches approach neanderthal but the best is probably to talk about cultural differences.
Still, the NHL is trying to be more modern in coching and preventing injuries(except in playoff). 

I think it’s not just NHL, but sports in NA as a whole. For individual sports like athletics it’s great, but the fact that most of the clubs don’t have full control over the development of players because of the subsystems they play, and the aim of youth players is to be selfish and stand out makes NA sports very talent rich but team poor. 

In most European countries regardless of sport, there is far greater involvement at youth and junior levels, and pyramid systems which reward teams not individuals. But due to closed systems and drafts this team element is not the same across the pond 

8 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If you think about it, as a best ever single trade no it can’t really because Naslund was gotten for literally nothing of value. Guenther would need to be a bust and whoever they draft with the 2nd plus what they use the 5 years of cap space they bought on would have to amount to nothing of value to ever touch that trade. 

In terms of best chain reaction, it would take not only a huge recovery by OEL and continued improvement by Garland but also a hell of a lot of recycled value down the road from those players in trades to ever equal the Sedins and Luongo impact of the Linden trade. 

It could turn out to be a very good trade or a very bad one. But it is almost impossible to ever become the best ever.

Just my opinion.

Yes, we got Naslund for nothing but plenty of teams get great players for nothing.  It’s called free agency.  Also you could break it down with Garland equaling a first while OEL equals our cap dumps plus a second which is basically nothing or surplus value for us.  Either way Naslund is a completely different type of good trade and cannot really be compared.  Naslund is a fleecing, while the Linden, Miller, and this trade are more of a good for both sides trade.

With the Linden trade yes McCabe was part of getting the Sedins but it was a really small part of that.  If the trade never happened we still would have probably gotten the Sedins by just using a different piece that wasn’t McCabe so it’s not fair to give too much credit to this trade for the Sedins.  Although Betuzzi was pretty good for Luongo but that almost belongs in the fleecing category with Naslund as a different best trade of all time and who knows if that’ll be the same for Garland.

8 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Yes, we got Naslund for nothing but plenty of teams get great players for nothing.  It’s called free agency.  Also you could break it down with Garland equaling a first while OEL equals our cap dumps plus a second which is basically nothing or surplus value for us.  Either way Naslund is a completely different type of good trade and cannot really be compared.  Naslund is a fleecing, while the Linden, Miller, and this trade are more of a good for both sides trade.

With the Linden trade yes McCabe was part of getting the Sedins but it was a really small part of that.  If the trade never happened we still would have probably gotten the Sedins by just using a different piece that wasn’t McCabe so it’s not fair to give too much credit to this trade for the Sedins.  Although Betuzzi was pretty good for Luongo but that almost belongs in the fleecing category with Naslund as a different best trade of all time and who knows if that’ll be the same for Garland.

People tend to forget that while Antoski was primarily a fighter, he had decent skating abiltiy (just no offensive skills lol) & could forecheck.  Yeah, not remotely "value" for Naslund but hardly a "nothing player".  Heck, the Canucks *NOW* could certainly use a player like that (if for nothing else to be EP's bodyguard).  So why did he have a short career?  He got into a serious accident off-season that effectively ended his career early.

9 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

People tend to forget that while Antoski was primarily a fighter, he had decent skating abiltiy (just no offensive skills lol) & could forecheck.  Yeah, not remotely "value" for Naslund but hardly a "nothing player".  Heck, the Canucks *NOW* could certainly use a player like that (if for nothing else to be EP's bodyguard).  So why did he have a short career?  He got into a serious accident off-season that effectively ended his career early.

Wrong player. Antoski was traded to the flyers for beranek.

Stojanov was traded for nazzy.

1 hour ago, Rindiculous said:

To be the “best trade in Canucks history” why the &^@# do we care about the other team getting value? How many categories of best trade in history are we able to have?

I am interested to hear how many 22/23 y/o soon to be elite level players teams can sign for nothing as free agents when they are under contract to another team. Pretty sure the answer is 0.

Hands down the best TRADE in history because it was still a trade.

In an attempt to elevate a move that actually gave significant value back and also took on a lot of long term cap as the greatest in history (ostensibly to somehow elevate Benning to greatest GM in history) you minimize and make assumptions about an actual trade that happened? You don’t know how integral McCabe was to that deal. The reality is he was a part of it and without that trade the Sedins doesn’t happen. Revising history doesn’t change that.

It could turn out to be a great trade for the Canucks. But that won’t be known for a long time.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

OEL looks seriously rejuvenated.  If he keeps playing like this, we have a bonafide top pairing defenceman out of him.  That gives us a 1-2 punch of Hughes and OEL on the left side. 

Myers is looking pretty good out there too. 

This defence core might work out afterall.

• Vintage 1