The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

4 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

Acquiring OEL directly impedes our ability to re-sign Boeser, Horvat and JT Miller.

Unbelievable that some of you guys still think this was a good trade.  We just had to wait ONE more year.

OEL has proven to be a good defenseman.  He may end up regaining his form from several years ago yet. He is not the problem here.

We have too much dead cap in other areas.

Pearson, Dickinson, Poolman, Lu Recapture, other buyouts, bonuses....

They don't seem like much as one but in aggregate they all add up and make it difficult to keep together an otherwise very nice core.

Edited by The.Burrowers
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The.Burrowers said:

OEL has proven to be a good defenseman.  He may end up regaining his form from several years ago yet. He is not the problem here.

We have too much dead cap in other areas.

Pearson, Dickinson, Poolman, Lu Recapture, other buyouts, bonuses....

They don't seem like much as one but in aggregate they all add up and make it difficult to keep together an otherwise very nice core.

OEL is good and probably worth 4-5M in this day and age.

If we waited one more year, we would have access to $12M cap space and 2 more picks.  One of the worst trades in JB's tenure and he has many.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

OEL is good and probably worth 4-5M in this day and age.

If we waited one more year, we would have access to $12M cap space and 2 more picks.  One of the worst trades in JB's tenure and he has many.

Whether I am right or not is irrelevant.

I value cap space very highly. Therefore I don't like the deal. The combo of term and $ is gross.

Combine that with the giraffe and the d has spare parts from an 88 pickup.

Edited by Chris12345

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2022 at 10:10 PM, JohnTavares said:

Acquiring OEL directly impedes our ability to re-sign Boeser, Horvat and JT Miller.

Unbelievable that some of you guys still think this was a good trade.  We just had to wait ONE more year.

Exactly. I think in Benning vision (i.e Tunnel vision) the trade was a good one because OEL has been good on the Ice problem is, as you can see with current management trying to get cap flexibility, long and medium term it's going to hurt the team. 

Plus there's no way he should have a similar cap hit as Ekblad or Hedman 

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Exactly. I think in Benning vision (i.e Tunnel vision) the trade was a good one because OEL has been good on the Ice problem is, as you can see with current management trying to get cap flexibility, long and medium term it's going to hurt the team. 

Plus there's no way he should have a similar cap hit as Ekblad or Hedman 

Had the OEL trade happened AFTER the bubble, ok understandable, you want to keep the momentum going. But to happen after a dissappointing season? Clearly the team wasn't as good as we thought. Its a simple case of a dumba$$ GM throwing hail marys to keep his job

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Had the OEL trade happened AFTER the bubble, ok understandable, you want to keep the momentum going. But to happen after a dissappointing season? Clearly the team wasn't as good as we thought. Its a simple case of a dumba$$ GM throwing hail marys to keep his job

The OEL trade was basically a panic trade for Benning plain and simple. I guess Garland has been a good pickup but it still doesn't change that OEL trade wasn't a good one 

I think Benning bet all his chips this season but only had a 3 of a kind to show for it. A good hand, but hardly one where you put it all on the line 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

The OEL trade was basically a panic trade for Benning plain and simple. I guess Garland has been a good pickup but it still doesn't change that OEL trade wasn't a good one 

I think Benning bet all his chips this season but only had a 3 of a kind to show for it. A good hand, but hardly one where you put it all on the line 

add to the fact that we TRADED a 3rd round pick and signed Dickenson, and added Tucker Poolman. Thats 5.5 million worth of trash we added to the cap which could've been JT Miller and Brock Boesers raises. Typical Jimbo. No cap room is ever safe

20 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

add to the fact that we TRADED a 3rd round pick and signed Dickenson, and added Tucker Poolman. Thats 5.5 million worth of trash we added to the cap which could've been JT Miller and Brock Boesers raises. Typical Jimbo. No cap room is ever safe

I guess the one good thing about Benning being GM is that this is a teachable moment for Hockey organizations and what are the qualities needed to be an effective GM.

Benning was not that guy. He was a hockey guy but not a GM. Moving forward it's more apparent now with the failure of Benning, is that innovation, asset management, communication, and long term vision are more important qualities than just "bring a hockey guy". 

Actually Gillis had those qualities but he couldn't draft to save his life and became more reactionary after 2011 with signing and drafting every big guy he could find and mismanaging the Goalie situation lol 

7 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I guess the one good thing about Benning being GM is that this is a teachable moment for Hockey organizations and what are the qualities needed to be an effective GM.

Benning was not that guy. He was a hockey guy but not a GM. Moving forward it's more apparent now with the failure of Benning, is that innovation, asset management, communication, and long term vision are more important qualities than just "bring a hockey guy". 

Actually Gillis had those qualities but he couldn't draft to save his life and became more reactionary after 2011 with signing and drafting every big guy he could find and mismanaging the Goalie situation lol 

Oh yeah Gillis was not without his faults. I heavily criticized Gillis on his drafting, and have said he had his draft boards upside down LOL but compared to the Benning regime? I would take crappy drafts and winning over the great drafts and losing any day of the week

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

The team was and is good, The coach was terrible. Look at how a good coach changed that around. The Canucks would be a top 3 team in the Pacific if Benning didn’t remained stunned for so long. 

This trade was a good trade. We threw out our garbage, got a top 4 defenceman and acquired a good young top 6 forward. OEL ended up playing much better than everyone expected and Garland came as advertised.

This was a good move 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Oh yeah Gillis was not without his faults. I heavily criticized Gillis on his drafting, and have said he had his draft boards upside down LOL but compared to the Benning regime? I would take crappy drafts and winning over the great drafts and losing any day of the week

The fact of the matter is that EVERY GM has faults and screws up.  A lot of it comes down to timing and luck.  Honestly, what if covid didn't happen and the cap went up the $6 or $7M it was supposed to when GMJB was trying to re-sign Tanev and Toffoli?  Heck, GMJB traded for Toffoli literally a few weeks before the world shut down.  I feel bad for him because he clearly had a plan in place, knowing full well that the cap had historically moved up significantly year after year.  Unfortunately for him (and for us), covid is a thing, and it happened at an inopportune time. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

The team was and is good, The coach was terrible. Look at how a good coach changed that around. The Canucks would be a top 3 team in the Pacific if Benning didn’t remained stunned for so long. 

This trade was a good trade. We threw out our garbage, got a top 4 defenceman and acquired a good young top 6 forward. OEL ended up playing much better than everyone expected and Garland came as advertised.

This was a good move 

Yes, OEL has been paying well and he's a great addition to the team.  We won't really know if the trade was all that

great until the next 5 years have passed though.  If he (somewhat) maintains the level of play he's at now, then JB

hit the ball ought of the field on this one.

• Cheers 1

Problem is the cupboards were bare when Gillis was done. He inherited a great team with cap space from Nonis, had he inherited the team that JB did and couldn't draft well there would be no way up.

• Cheers 1

This is not sustainable, and you'll end up having a bland product, just like when Gillis got fired.

So yes, Gillis' failed drafting IS part of this discussion. If he had drafted worth a damn, the Canucks could continue their runs.